PDA

View Full Version : Trying to sell my 2007 Versa

phydough
07-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Hi there:

I am looking for tips and hints to sell my car. I have never had to do anything like this before so I am a complete newbe. Any advice would be gladly accepted. Thank you all in advance and have a fabulous day :)

ExtraSlow
07-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Look at kijiji and see what kind of prices they are listed for?
Go to a dealership and ask how much it's worth on a trade-in (may have to pretend to be looking at buying new to get this).
Guess?

Or best of all: Post an ad on beyond with a price that is obviously too high, read all the angry PM's you get telling you the correct price. Free research.

Weapon_R
07-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Cheapest 2007 versa is around $6995. Price it competitively and you will sell it.

AE92_TreunoSC
07-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Here's some Don'ts. Way more important.

Dont fall for any interest from someone out of the city. No one is going to pay for a car they havn't seen. Any offers made from out of town is usually a setup to a scam. Use discretion with this one.

Do not respond to middle men that promise to sell the car. It's a waste and scam.

Do not accept anything short of full payment. Do not release the car for anything but cash or bank transfer. Some people accept bank drafts but I have them validated before transferring the car.

Do not let them test drive it without you in it.

Don't put your phone number in the ad on Kijiji or Autotrader, use the email system and only give your phone # to what seem like real prospective buyers. This stops a ton of spam to your phone.

Anything that feels too good to be true or sets red flags up. Just call it off.

Tik-Tok
07-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Also have patience. Lots of people will low ball you, even sight unseen, tell them to come back when they're serious, especially if you aren't in a hurry to sell.

ddduke
07-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC

Don't put your phone number in the ad on Kijiji or Autotrader, use the email system and only give your phone # to what seem like real prospective buyers. This stops a ton of spam to your phone.

While I understand where you're coming from, I kind of find this to be bad advice. You'll get lots of bs but you can just ignore it. Lots of people who are buying are in a rush and if you don't get back to them asap then they'll just move on, unless yours is a smoking deal. I always list my number and just ignore the idiots, I also buy a stupid amount of vehicle and usually ignore anyone without a number because they take forever to respond.

If you're serious about selling then you want to be out there.

tirebob
07-12-2013, 06:28 PM
It really pays to have a professional detail done on the car prior to sale as well. You will often get your money back and them some compared to a car that hasn't been properly detailed (inside, outside and under hood etc). If they are looking at a couple cars, yours will stand out and command a higher dollar if it looks like it has been meticulously maintained. The car could be mechanically maintained perfectly, but if it looks "just okay", people will think it IS "just okay"... If it looks like a dogs breakfast, forget about it!