PDA

View Full Version : OTC dosing

spikerS
07-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Alright, so I had this idea, and I am sick, so I may not be thinking straight, but bear with me.

I have had this cough for about a week now. Couple days ago, I started taking some cough medicine.

Now the OTC medicine helps. Supposed to take 2tps every 6 hours. The problem is, I find it wears out by hour 4, leaving me to cough painfully for the next 2 hours waiting to take my next dose.

Then I thought, what if I took an initial dose of say 1.5tps, and then 1 tsp every 3 hours, half the does in half the time.

I figure by doubling the dosing schedule with half the medication should minimize the peaks and valleys while giving me the least amount of time doubled over coughing in pain...

thoughts?

revelations
07-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Uh, isnt this what doctors are for? :dunno: (instead of a car forum)

spikerS
07-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Uh, isnt this what doctors are for? :dunno: (instead of a car forum)

If it was serious enough for me to book an appt with a doctor, I would. Instead, I would like to save the tax payers some money, and see what opinions are here.

I mean it is OTC stuff, I could probably drink the whole bottle with the only side effect being a good sleep.

revelations
07-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Dude if youre double over in pain from coughing so much, and its been a week - I'd say its time.

What brought on the cough in the first place? Is it chest or sinus (post nasal drip)??

Otherwise, the OTC adjustment sounds reasonable enough :dunno:

Seth1968
07-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by spikers
Alright, so I had this idea, and I am sick, so I may not be thinking straight.

You're not.

Just sayin':)

spikerS
07-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

You're not.

Just sayin':)

:rofl:

anyways, it is just the throat, dry cough, no phlem or anything, I am breathing fine, all this bout has been is a friggin cough, it has just made my throat really frikkin RAW!

Seth1968
07-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Ya, but this:

Originally posted by revelations
Dude if youre double over in pain from coughing so much, and its been a week - I'd say its time.

Other than that, take the whole damn bottle and see what happens.

I would:)

roll_over
07-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Read the label on the bottle then research the active ingredients no one can say for sure what will happen unless we know what you are taking. Nausea is a common side effect of overdosing on certain cough suppressants but it passes within a half hour. I would go to the doctor and get some sizurp OTC sucks

jazzyb
07-17-2013, 09:19 AM
You can even just visit a pharmacy, the pharmacist coudl answer all your questions.