PDA

View Full Version : How does a cvt system work help

Boosted131
07-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Just wondering if anyone can help me know if my renegade cvt is working properly

Qs9jG009dEg

So I got some muddy water in the cvt and decided to take it apart and spray it all out. When you rev a cvt in neutral is only the primary clutch supposed to move in? Looks like my secondary is doing next to nothing (is it only used for when it is moving?)

Reason for taking it apart is it was squeeking a tiny bit and harder to shift into different gears than usual, but it shifts fine now after I sprayed it.

:dunno:

Boosted131
07-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Anyone? I wanna put it back together and go ride as long as everything looks normal!

MrSector9
07-16-2013, 01:10 PM
It is normal, you need a load on the transmission in order for the secondary to actuate properly.

roll_over
07-16-2013, 01:15 PM
That looks different from mine. But here is a link there is a part two on the right side of the page. http://battlescooter.com/37.html

Boosted131
07-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by MrSector9
It is normal, you need a load on the transmission in order for the secondary to actuate properly.
Thanks , someone was saying it was supposed to move. But I doubted them that it could ruin the clutch by getting some water in there...

Not even from riding it deep, if I hit a puddle too fast all it takes is some water/mud to sneak in there and it's going to slip.

Do you know how to tell if a belt is still good or "smoked"?

MrSector9
07-16-2013, 01:44 PM
to tell a belt is experience haha, easiest way is to measure it, if the sides look glazed really bad and kinda crumbly (hard to explain) then the belt has gotten hot.

The secondary is supposed to move when there is a proper load on the transmission, the reason being is that one side of the helix (shift up) must ride hard against the the face of the clutch, while the outside stays in place on the shaft for it to properly "shift" it needs the resistance on the transmission.

If you were to jack it up and spin the wheels you will see it move (I do not suggest this), however that is still not enough to make it properly shift as if it was the unit would be completely useless under its own weight let alone when it is in mud/hills. Also the rear spring is tensioned alot for the same reason so it needs alot of force in order to complete the shifting sequence.

my brp training is still coming in useful :P

Boosted131
07-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Anything else I should do while the cover is off? Some are saying to grease the one way bearing, but I've never taken any of this apart so I'd rather not unless its needed.

My last quad (wolverine) I never took any of it apart or greased anything