PDA

View Full Version : Will An SAFC HELP!??!

Weapon_R
09-21-2002, 03:37 PM
I'm just wondering if buying an SAFC will help aid in any power gains with a non-vtec n/a vehicle with basic bolt ons? Anyone have any input?

Illusionsir
09-21-2002, 04:13 PM
You wouldnt get any noticable horse power. since it is really only controlling your air fuel curve your not going to have a lot of play in the system. i would assume the non vtec motors air/fuel map has very little tuneability. i dont think it would be the best thing to spend 500 bucks on!

Thats just IMO.

Weapon_R
09-22-2002, 08:34 PM
Great thanks! Some people tell me it will help, others say no, so I was just wondering. Personally, if it isn't going to give me noticable gains, why spend $500 for a N/A vehicle I think...

Does a fuel pressure regulator do the same thing?

2000impreza
09-22-2002, 08:38 PM
a fuel pressure regulator won't do much... allows you to ajust the fuel pressure. if you have bolt on's, stock fuel system is probably good enough.

legendboy
09-22-2002, 08:48 PM
The stock computer is going to give you the best a/f mixture if ur n/a. You may be able to tune a bit more power on the top end with an afc.

Weapon_R
09-22-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
The stock computer is going to give you the best a/f mixture if ur n/a. You may be able to tune a bit more power on the top end with an afc.

Is it worth getting one to get some power on the top end? Is there anything noticable or is it just a waste of money?

legendboy
09-22-2002, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't say its a waste of money! If u have bolt ons or engine mods an afc will allow u to get the power out of them where the stock computer cant. Like if u got some cams. If you got top end cams you can dyno tune your fuel for top end power with the cams. Or mid range or whatever. Same if you got a PnP. High compression..etc....

Illusionsir
09-22-2002, 11:10 PM
ya but i assume hes talking about basic bolt ons i.e intake headers exhaust... a new fuel computer worth 500 beans isnt
worth that for the 1 or 2 hp you`ll get out of it. and thats also if you know how to tune the fuel computer if you dont, you could
fack things up REALLY bad!

but if you do ever plan on doing a big n/a or forced induction build
up i would recommend buying choweys for such a good price for down the road.

again thats only my opinion,

Weapon_R
09-23-2002, 01:17 AM
My friend is selling a PIVOT AFC to me and I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of these??! They are straight outta japan, also wondering how things could be damaged if I don't know how to tune the fuel computer?

shadowz
09-23-2002, 02:46 AM
I really dont see any use of this unless you want a neat little gadget on your dash, unless you are going with a higcompression setup or even boost

Illusionsir
09-23-2002, 04:24 AM
by messing with your fuel curve you can damage your entire engine just by setting a reading two rich or two lean, rich not so bad as lean obviously but neither is good for the engine. if you
installed one and got a manual with it telling you how to tune it specificly for your car i would do it. if not, i HIGHLY recommend taking to an install shop that knows there stuff! a little unit like that with un proper tuning can be a leathal weapon towards your motor!