PDA

View Full Version : Any geologist here?

darksky89
07-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Hello beyonders,

Are there any professional geologists here? I just graduated from the University of Calgary with a geology degree and is looking for opening in the industry. I worked with an intermediate size Oil and Gas company last summer and have 3.5 GPA for the last 10 geology courses I took at school. I also volunteered with various geology organizations and conferences like CSPG Honorary Address, geo-convention, ASEC, and Geoskills. I am having a tough time getting my foot into the industry and I was wondering if any of you have any tips or advice.

93VR6
07-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Going off your post I'm going to guess you're ESL. (I just graduated from the University of Calgary with a geology degree and is looking for opening in the industry.)

Communication is a huge part of the industry and I personally know a lot of companies that avoid people who can't communicate properly because in a role as a geologist you will be communicating with your co-workers, bouncing ideas off each other and having to explain what you have been, and why you are doing it. This is especially true in the field, I know a geo consulting company that won't hire immigrants because of too many bad experiences with people that can't communicate at an above average level. If you can't communicate in the field you're going to have a couple of angry newfies or farmers screaming at you because they don't have time to listen to you "ah, um" your way through a conversation.

With that said you're grades are much better than mine were and I did no volunteering, which made it more difficult to get a job but I still got one with relative ease.

Do you find you're getting interviews but no call backs?

In your opinion why did the company you worked with over the summer not want to hire you back on full time?

mr2mike
07-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Try for wellsite geology (pimp) firms. Get your experience through that first. Then look for geo desk job downtown.

never
07-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by 93VR6
In your opinion why did the company you worked with over the summer not want to hire you back on full time?

+1 on that...we always try to hire the good summer students back when they've completed their degrees.

darksky89
07-17-2013, 12:59 PM
They actually liked the work I did for them and was planning to hire me back. It's just that the company had a huge reduction on budget and they didn't hire any of their summer students back. Thanks for your inputs though.

msommers
07-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Calgary is the poster child of "it's who you know." Seriously, I can't believe the jobs that some people are able to get. Get contacts or it's going to be a very difficult time getting a job downtown.

colinxx235
07-23-2013, 07:29 PM
^

Very true... I've been out of work as a Mech Engg E.I.T. for quite a big longer then I expected (7 months). Applied/reached out to every position possible. I don't have family in OnG and it has never been easy to get those positions or even interviews. When it slowed down earlier this year, it happened fast. :(

Q-TIP
07-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Connections connections connections. You seem to have a good resume for a recent grad but it really is who you know. Wellsite is a good option, the money is great and it has led to my building a very large network of people in the industry. I am starting to put out feelers for office work again, worked in the office for a year before switching to wellsite. Now that I've had the chance to travel, pay off some big bills and put away money for the future I can't believe how many people I have met along the way have leads on positions that never even get posted.

Call the big wellsite pimps in town such as Bevan, McLeay, RPS, Chinook and Serpa. They may not have a ton of work right now but come winter strat programs are a good way to build a name for yourself. Keep all correspondence professional and make a point of going in to the office to meet people face-to-face. Show an interest in more than just the bare minimum of your job description and when you do meet with people don't dress like a field bum. Look like you belong in an office and you may just impress someone.