PDA

View Full Version : Carmax, Maxcare and importing

Buster
07-18-2013, 12:34 AM
I read this post by Doug Demuro (one of the better Jalop writers).

He states that if you want an expensive luxury car, that carmax is a great place to buy them used. This is because they dont haggle on price, and they offer cheap warranties for stupid lengths of time.

Now normally I would pay no attention to this, but the Maxcare warranty page states that the warranty is valid in the states AND Canada.

I've been semi-seriously looking at GL350s to import one, but didn't want the hassle of fighting MB for a factory warranty or dealing with the long-term ownership headaches. But a cheap Carmax backed extended warranty (6 years, 125k miles!), might be the ticket.

http://plays-with-cars.kinja.com/i-hate-carmax-so-very-very-much-but-this-is-actuall-815513158

dirtsniffer
07-18-2013, 10:58 AM
sounds interesting, if the warranty is legit that looks like quite a good way for me to get a 535xi :D

Buster
07-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
sounds interesting, if the warranty is legit that looks like quite a good way for me to get a 535xi :D

Generally 3rd party warranties aren't great. But part of the benefit of Carmax seems to be that their pricing is "blended" across their fleet. In other words, it appears that the never-break Camrys of the world subsidize the expensive cars.

I owned a 535xi, and I wouldn't own another without a warranty.