PDA

View Full Version : legacy Exteriors - review of stucco paint job



Waldi
07-18-2013, 08:50 AM
I wanted to provide this information as I had my house exterior (stucco) painted by Legacy Exteriors, owned by fellow beyonder (InRich).
So here it is my view. Once you meet Rich you will be impressed by his drive and great salesmanship. His approach is very aggressive but at the same time very informative and for someone like my wife, this was excellent way to learn about “dos and don’ts “of different way of refinishing stucco. Our home is only 12 years old but we felt that a fresh look would be nice to have. Richard was very much upfront right from the start to let us know that our initial meeting would last 1.5 -2 hrs. We manage to find time in the evening and he did his sells pitch and then we start talking about specific details. Prior to the meeting I have looked at different options and checked Legacy’s record, so we were pretty much ready to go with this company. Rich provided us with some good advice and came across as sincere but also a “bit cocky” (not surprised as he knows what he is doing and he takes pride in his work crew’s quality). After his intro we moved to discussion on cost and paint options and he produced options and numbers on the spot. Next, he provided us with list of references and invited us to go and see some of his prior work to check quality as well as, to help to decide on colors.
After he left, I went on and selected small group of names from reference list and made calls. I used specific criteria to select homeowners that I called and got pretty many very good reviews from those people (all of them)
We meet Rich in SE of Calgary where his crew were working and also he had a number of completed houses. He drove us around to show his jobs and again provided us with ability to talk to owners as well, also, he pointed to other home that were painted by “amateurs) or competition and showed us how important is to do job correctly. After this we are now able to spot “trouble” jobs and perhaps could work in quality control (LOL). It was apparent that his talk about quality is not just talk.
We finish tour with discussion on pricing and scheduling and have signed contract (I did some negotiating and Rich added couple bottles of wine which he has not fulfilled yet – will update on change).
Work supposed to happen first week of July.
We were going on a trip during that time and Rich as indicated that the best thing is to be away from home as windows and doors are covered so you cannot open them even if it is hot.
First we got guy who came to wash entire house before paint job and he did entire house in the afternoon.
As we all know, flooding in Calgary created some delays so when we came back from holidays, crew were in the process of starting to paint. We were able to see closely process and progress. They would not paint if there was high probability for rain so it took a bit longer as they made decision to not to attempt to paint when the weather forecast called for rain. Overall, they were very organized and quick, if there was any questions, they would ask and proceed as indicated. Our stucco was I pretty good shape so there was no need for major repairs with exception of one spot by entryway. I have indicated this and they did great job fixing small patch.
Once job was finished, crew did walk around with us and we went through their checklist as well did our own inspection, especially around windows etc. We found no issues and job was done to our satisfaction. Crew then did great clean up job and went even beyond expectations by moving back out patio furniture back on the patio, as I did not expected them to do so.
So overall, I would definitely recommended Legacy Exteriors if you want your house stucco done right and with quality in mind. It was great experience from start to finish and rather painless.

Tik-Tok
07-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Did you give you a discount if you gave him a good review on Beyond? :rofl:

G-ZUS
07-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Did you guys sign a contract?

Waldi
07-18-2013, 09:15 AM
No, I told him if the job is as expected I will do honest review as I use beyond often when searching for services or products, I want others to have access to info that is useful. If he did not do good job, I would still do review to provide forum with warning. It is strictly business, as I have no prior communication with Rich before this work and I believe that this forum should promote members businesses that are honest and provide quality work.

Waldi
07-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
Did you guys sign a contract?
yes we did and I did my due diligence in terms of WCB insurance and references.

snakes&ladders
07-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Sounds like your advertising. These guys are working so many hours in the summer that its hard to believe they actually have the time to drive someone around. :dunno:

Waldi
07-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by snakes&ladders
Sounds like your advertising. These guys are working so many hours in the summer that its hard to believe they actually have the time to drive someone around. :dunno:
Rich is salesman, he has creews working for him, he does not paint himself and driving around is part of his slaes pitch. He is very up front with if. like i said good salesman.

JRSC00LUDE
07-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by snakes&ladders
Sounds like your advertising. These guys are working so many hours in the summer that its hard to believe they actually have the time to drive someone around. :dunno:

Yeah......that's actually not hard to believe at all.

Getting work is kind of the most important part of running a business. Your staff generally DO the work, unless you're a small time guy working out of your truck.....

G-ZUS
07-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Waldi

yes we did and I did my due diligence in terms of WCB insurance and references.

Did you make sure he read the contract thoroughly, especially the fine print? Did he give you an all-in price?

C_Dave45
07-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by snakes&ladders
Sounds like your advertising. These guys are working so many hours in the summer that its hard to believe they actually have the time to drive someone around. :dunno: :facepalm:
You think rich takes of his tool pouch, comes down off the ladder, then runs around getting customers?
Lol.

Rich doesn't even do the initial sales calls. He has a sales staff that does that. When a call turn into a "lead", That's where Rich comes in. He closes the lead and gets the deal done.
The installers do one thing and one thing only. Install.
Sales does another and Rich at the top. That's how a large company operates.

Sugarphreak
07-18-2013, 11:33 AM
I didn't realize he was the owner. I thought that he just tacked on his general contractor fee and then subcontracted the work to Legacy Exteriors.

Also, not to slam them... but they are not accredited with BBB, have outstanding complaints against them, and received an "F" rating. http://www.bbb.org/calgary/business-reviews/stucco-exterior-coating-contractors/legacy-exteriors-in-calgary-ab-52277/complaints#breakdown

ercchry
07-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Also, not to slam them... but they are not accredited with BBB, have outstanding complaints against them, and received an "F" rating. http://www.bbb.org/calgary/business-reviews/stucco-exterior-coating-contractors/legacy-exteriors-in-calgary-ab-52277/complaints#breakdown

isnt that how BBB works when you arnt willing to pay their "protection" fees?

...what is the going rate per sqft for stucco anyway? ...like a virgin wall, prepped and ready to get sprayed?

snakes&ladders
07-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
:facepalm:
You think rich takes of his tool pouch, comes down off the ladder, then runs around getting customers?
Lol.

Rich doesn't even do the initial sales calls. He has a sales staff that does that. When a call turn into a "lead", That's where Rich comes in. He closes the lead and gets the deal done.
The installers do one thing and one thing only. Install.
Sales does another and Rich at the top. That's how a large company operates.

Wow thanks for explaining it so well. I thought it was kind of a one man operation, were he did most of the work. Didnt realize it was a bigger company. :zzz:

Are you advertising for him too?

ercchry
07-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by snakes&ladders



Are you advertising for him too?

arnt you brand new to this site? what banned user are you anyway?

snakes&ladders
07-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by ercchry


arnt you brand new to this site? what banned user are you anyway?

Wasnt banned before. Not really new ive always been on beyond reading threads and looking at the marketplace. I just decided to become more active.

C_Dave45
07-18-2013, 11:49 AM
To get that rating to an A+ all that's required is to join their little organization and pay the top contribution and magically you're an approved, accredited A1 company.

BBB is just another business. Out to make money. 2 complaints in the last 12 months? Out of how many customers? I've had more than that. Had to put a lien on one. One nut job just went wacko on me and I had to just walk away and leave over $800 on the table. Wasn't worth fighting for and they had this trouble with every trade that came into their home. Went through 3 general contractors. Some ppl you just are never going to please.

Sugarphreak
07-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
isnt that how BBB works when you arnt willing to pay their "protection" fees?

...what is the going rate per sqft for stucco anyway? ...like a virgin wall, prepped and ready to get sprayed?

I think it depends on how many complaints you get within 3 years, and if the company responds to get them resolved.

I pretty much always check BBB when I hire a contractor, even if it is just a one man company. Any complaints that go unresolved is a huge red flag IMO as most people don't do anything when things go poorly. You have to fuck up pretty good for BBB to get involved.


Originally posted by C_Dave45
BBB is just another business. Out to make money.

^^ BBB is a non-profit organization

I agree with you to some extent... there are businesses out there that operate openly and honestly and if everybody did this there would be no need for BBB. However because BBB requires that businesses adhere to certain ethics and standards to be accredited, it just provides a better foundation for companies and consumers to operate on. If a company is willing to make that commitment, I think it is a good thing.

Just my 2 bits on it anyway

ercchry
07-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by snakes&ladders


Wasnt banned before. Not really new ive always been on beyond reading threads and looking at the marketplace. I just decided to become more active.

well, you are making a hell of a go at it :thumbsup:

C_Dave45
07-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by snakes&ladders


Wow thanks for explaining it so well. I thought it was kind of a one man operation, were he did most of the work. Didnt realize it was a bigger company. :zzz:

Are you advertising for him too?
Tell ya what....you put your name, phone number, and who you work for out on this forum and I'll answer your silly questions. Both Rich and I have our names available, as well as our own company's and phone numbers for anyone to look up.
If you think any of the posters in this thread are some hidden employees of his...you have some learnin to do.

C_Dave45
07-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak


I think it depends on how many complaints you get within 3 years, and if the company responds to get them resolved.

I pretty much always check BBB when I hire a contractor, even if it is just a one man company. Any complaints that go unresolved is a huge red flag IMO as most people don't do anything when things go poorly. You have to fuck up pretty good for BBB to get involved.



^^ BBB is a non-profit organization

I agree with you to some extent... there are businesses out there that operate openly and honestly and if everybody did this there would be no need for BBB. However because BBB requires that businesses adhere to certain ethics and standards to be accredited, it just provides a better foundation for companies and consumers to operate on. If a company is willing to make that commitment, I think it is a good thing.

Just my 2 bits on it anyway
You should really look up some investigative documentaries on the BBB.
All a customer has to do is lodge a complaint...BBB will make one phone call to the business, and if they don't get back to them and are not a member...then the above rating gets applied.
They do nothing for the consumer at all. I lodged a complaint with them regarding a shitty auto repair place (in fact it's on beyond) and BBB's final solution to me was "they won't return our call. Case closed. "Dispute unresolved".

In 2010 ABC's 20/20 reported in a segment titled "The Best Ratings Money Can Buy" about the irregularities in BBB ratings.[24] They reported that a man created two dummy companies which received A+ ratings as soon as he had paid the membership fee. They also reported that business owners were told that the only way to improve their rating was by paying the fee. In one case a C was turned to an A immediately after a payment and in another case a C‑minus became an A+. Chef Wolfgang Puck said that some of his businesses receive F's because he refuses to pay a fee. Ritz Carlton, which does not belong either, also receives Fs for not responding to its complaints.[23]

In response, the president of the Council of Better Business Bureaus has stated the BBB ratings system will cease awarding points to businesses for being BBB members.[25] The national BBB's executive committee voted to address the public’s perception of the ratings system. It voted that the BBB ratings system would no longer give additional points to businesses because they are accredited. It voted to implement a system to handle complaints about BBB sales practices. [26] Despite the vote, the BBB website still states that points are taken away if accreditation is lost.[27][28]

snakes&ladders
07-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ercchry


well, you are making a hell of a go at it :thumbsup:

Lol I just responded based on his response. Didnt really mean to offend anyone.

Disoblige
07-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by snakes&ladders


Lol I just responded based on his response. Didnt really mean to offend anyone.
Responded to his response to what exactly? You commented first.

rage2
07-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
^^ BBB is a non-profit organization
Doesn't mean much. NFL, NHL, and I think NBA as well all fall under non-profit. Still out to make a buck haha.

JRSC00LUDE
07-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by snakes&ladders


Who are you advertising for, Hasbro? Milton Bradley?

Isaiah
07-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Do they have asian stucco painters? My house is asian.

CanmoreOrLess
07-18-2013, 01:24 PM
BBB is now a scam, perhaps decades ago it was a decent thing. These days, Google the company, decide on the reports and roll the dice if you wish. If I had anything needed in the world involving grout, Dave would be my first and last call. I'd not even bother to get a second opinion. It is called trust based on his character and a strong track record.

BBB in LA/SF makes:

The executive who heads the organization's Los Angeles branch makes more than $400,000 a year. His San Diego counterpart brings in $206,000. The head of a smaller office in New York earns $175,000.*

In Calgary, executive pay.... it will be very generous. A non profit for a reason. Ain't no profit if we's spending it all.

*http://articles.latimes.com/2010/nov/24/business/la-fi-bbb-20101124

TONS MORE if you need to kill an hour:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Better-Business-Bureau-BBB-CBBB/Arlington-Select-StateProvince/Better-Business-Bureau-or-Buyer-Better-Beware-BBB-Nationwide-Alert-THE-FOX-GUARDIN-1343

Sugarphreak
07-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Wow, 400,000$ would be nice... lol.

Any idea how much BBB execs in Canada make? I googled it with no luck

Tik-Tok
07-18-2013, 02:09 PM
$400g in L.A. isn't very much money, lol.

darthVWader
07-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
Do they have asian stucco painters? My house is asian.

:rofl:

InRich
07-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Heh thanks for he review Wald! I'm still waiting for some other beyonder's to review me aswell, been doing alot of beyonder houses lately actually. I'm short on wine right now, lol, I gave my dealer a call the other day, he hasn't called me back yet. It's coming though! U should also post some pictures of your house, I'm sure its beautiful.

As for having my employee's advertise for me on here. lol are you crazy? I consider my work the best in the city. Dont need my employee's coming on here doing anything that might get me banned ;)

As for the BBB. anyone that knows anything about what their talking about, knows its a joke. They wanted something like 300 dollars a year per employee. I have 17 full timers under me, so thats not happening. My references are my BBB. My testimonials are my BBB. My show homes are my BBB. My reviews are my BBB. I dont need to waste my money with scams like the BBB. Not to mention. Even if I was BBB accredited, and was forking out 1000s a year to use their logo on my contracts, I'd only be transferring those fee's over to my customers, who would now pay MORE for my services.

BBB is a scam!

Maxt
07-19-2013, 06:04 AM
Some work that was done on my dwelling failed independent inspection and is still outstanding, but hey guess what, the contractor is rated A+ by BBB...

voodoo
07-19-2013, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by InRich
Heh thanks for he review Wald! I'm still waiting for some other beyonder's to review me aswell, been doing alot of beyonder houses lately actually. I'm short on wine right now, lol, I gave my dealer a call the other day, he hasn't called me back yet. It's coming though! U should also post some pictures of your house, I'm sure its beautiful.

As for having my employee's advertise for me on here. lol are you crazy? I consider my work the best in the city. Dont need my employee's coming on here doing anything that might get me banned ;)

As for the BBB. anyone that knows anything about what their talking about, knows its a joke. They wanted something like 300 dollars a year per employee. I have 17 full timers under me, so thats not happening. My references are my BBB. My testimonials are my BBB. My show homes are my BBB. My reviews are my BBB. I dont need to waste my money with scams like the BBB. Not to mention. Even if I was BBB accredited, and was forking out 1000s a year to use their logo on my contracts, I'd only be transferring those fee's over to my customers, who would now pay MORE for my services.

BBB is a scam!
point taken lol. i have the review written up i just need to host the pics online somewhere.

Kloubek
07-19-2013, 07:25 AM
As much as InRich rubs people the wrong way on here sometimes, I will say this - I don't see anything suspicious about the review at all. Good on the guy for having a company people positively say things about.

And as for the BBB - when I tried to get them to help me from keeping Guys Hill Landscaping from doing me up the ass, they were of little or no help. They closed an open/shut case against Guy's Hill while maintaining their "A" record and claiming the company tried to satisfy me, but I didn't accept the resolution. No shit... the resolution was not in my favour.

...and I didn't even expect a service from them. I just expected them to fix the damage they caused to my house when working on an adjacent property! I can't imagine how difficult it would be for someone who purchased a service to get any kind of resolution.

Waldi
07-22-2013, 07:29 AM
I used BBB once for moving company and this was the last time I relay on this organization. I prefer to have firsthand account from others (i.e. reviews, accounts) for my decision making. Beyond forum is pretty good for that and this is where often go and ask if people know someone doing in a particular line of work. If I see someone doing good job I think they deserve to be presented to others as a reliable party as they are.