PDA

View Full Version : Scion iQ

Phihalo
07-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Trying to searching here but not many ppl have inputs on this I guess. Anyway, what are your impressions on these if you've owned one. The wife hated my 4runner because it's too big and loves the smart however, since we have a baby, that's out of the question hence we're looking into the iQ.

We would be using this as a city car maybe a trip to banff at most and usually small grocery shopping etc. We need to fit a small stroller and a car seat in the back and we can fit in the front. The wife is pretty small so shouldn't be a problem of fitting into the car.

Anyway, thoughts?

Sugarphreak
07-18-2013, 12:37 PM

dirtsniffer
07-18-2013, 12:39 PM
get a fiesta

Disoblige
07-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Fiat?

Phihalo
07-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Fiat?

There's 2 problems w/ the Fiat 1) She demands an auto so no Abrath :banghead: and 2) I'm not familiar w/ the history of their maintainence as they are a 'new' company in Canada. Scion is basically Toyota and even though I hated their dull looks in general (except my runner ;) ) but they are very reliable and the last thing i want is winter time at -20c and my wife is stuck at some road with the baby.

I'll do some research on the Fiesta though, even though I'm asian and asian loves their imports LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ZeroGravity
07-18-2013, 01:24 PM
didn't know the iq had back seats... cool.

Although, looking at the interior pics, those back seat are almost right up against the rear hatch. Not sure how these modern micro compact (does this term exists?) will fare on rear end impacts.

We have a Echo hatch and the previous generation Rav4. The Rav4 was the main baby vehicle until my wife went back to work in downtown. Now we mostly use the Echo for our daily routines (drop off and pickup from dayhome, and drive to work).

With the stroller or whatever baby gear and both parents present, the Echo is probably the smallest we can get by. One of our strollers (Bugaboo Frog?) won't even all fit in the "trunk". We have to put the wheels and frame portion in the trunk, and the "seat" portion of the stroller in the passenger seat. Then my wife would sit in the back beside the baby. Our other stroller, Combi something, does fit in the trunk.

I suppose one could make it work with the iQ. Tight space.

Mibz
07-18-2013, 01:34 PM
We managed to fit 4 people and two bags into an iQ at the car show.

I'm not saying it was comfortable, but it happened.

Phihalo
07-18-2013, 01:43 PM
that's what I thought when I saw them over in Asia couple years ago as well, was kinda mind blowing that it's a 4 seater (technically 3+1)

The interesting thing for the back seat is that the passenger seat has a rail that you can push further up since they have eliminated the glove box so the person sitting behind the passeneger actually fits (or at least that's why the pics and videos show me). My only concern is the stroller, since the car seat has to go in behind the passenger, I'm just not sure if the stroller would fit (mind you, I got a small stroller from Hong Kong that doesn't have those monster wheels on them so hopefully that can be resolved) I'm going to check them out on Saturday to do the stroller test and I'll update. If this all works out, I think a 3XX payment is pretty :bigpimp: I don't think I had that since in the 90s LOL

Another :bigpimp: thing is that we can load the kid from the trunk LOL :rofl: :rofl: don't think many cars can do that, just imagine the looks you get when you pop up the trunk and put your kid in it.

Good call on the safety impact, I'll do more research on that as well.

CanmoreOrLess
07-18-2013, 02:45 PM
I really like small cars, but in this case not so much. I often use Car2go as well, there is not much I like about the Smart cars, it serves my rental purpose and that is about it. After 15 minutes I am glad to be done with the trip and the frightening tranny.

I'd urge you to get another vehicle than an iQ or Smart car, one with some space and size, a decent crumple zone. One semi serious accident and your family is ruined. Look at crash test data or better yet crash photos of the model, any series accident in any of these micro cars and you are toast. Too many large vehicles in Calgary/Canada to risk a baby in the back seat of a micro car. In Japan, these cars work OK, only their delivery vehicles are considered large and they are most often the size of our typical half ton trucks.

An F150 rear ending your Scion iQ at 25-30mph and you'll lose a couple of feet of car. Your child seat will be right there. Feeling better about having a micro car?

http://www.cars.com/scion/iq/2013/safety-ratings

Personally IMO, I'd go for a Subaru: affordable, AWD and a safe vehicle with a decent rear crumple zone. Bonus points for the hatch in getting stuff in and out. Best of the bunch would be a vehicle with AWD and a sliding side door.

clem24
07-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Don't get the iQ if you're transporting a kid.. That thing is way too small. The rear seats are practically useless and there's basically NO trunk (yes I've sat in one). Stay away from the Smart car as the tranny is absolutely horrendous; it shifts like a novice learning to drive manual (go test one yourself by driving a Car2Go). Both of these for meant for inner city yuppies with no kids who just need a grocery getter that's easy to park. They do NOT work well in the burbs, especially if you use a road like Deerfoot or Crowchild to commute.

If you're going to transporting a kid, get something with 4 doors; it's going to be a huge PITA to put a heavy kid (especially in a bucket seat) in a 2 door. So at a minimum get a Yaris/Fit/Fiesta if small is what you're after. But after a while, you'll notice small is also too small. Rear facing child seats get bulky and takes up tons of room. Strollers get bulky. Ideally, the minimum size car I'd get is something along the lines of a Matrix.

Having said all that, the Mazda5 is probably the best of all worlds in terms of smallness and ease of use. You'll thank the sliding doors because sometimes (not you but other) people will park too close (especially after you've parked) and you'll find it's impossible to get your kid through the door.

Anyways best of luck in your search.

sidewaysD
07-19-2013, 08:11 AM
You know.. for the price you pay for that car IQ or smart..

You could get a second hand volvo with a t4/t5 engine. Or a Saab 9-3, or 9-5?
Wagon? 4-door sedan? Granted manuals are tougher to find for volvos

But both brands Saab and volvo went through ridiclious crash testing for frontal offsets, side impacts, special seats that prevent whip lash when rear ended, Roll over protection etc etc. Top-notch Saftey records, even for the convertibles.

Plus you have all your saftey features.. cabin airbag, side curtain, stability control, ABS, electronic brake distribution etc etc. as standard regardless of the trim.

But... It's like they say....

Any car can be safe with a good experienced driver who keeps his/her following distance and is constantly scanning the road ahead and around them (mirrors)