PDA

View Full Version : Truck I sold in April is now being towed.

HomespunLobster
07-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Got a call from the Lethbridge police saying my truck was blocking a driveway. I stated I sold the truck, gave the officer the information I have (His name, e-mail, ad address). I'm assuming since I received the call the bugger took his plate off and abandoned it without ever registering the truck.

The 'copy' of the bill of sale is just some pics I snapped on my phone. Is there anyway this could impact me?

Uncle Flappy
07-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Yes, you pay the tow fee and now you have a new truck. Congrats sir.

Rarasaurus
07-19-2013, 10:54 AM
This happened to me but i heard back 2 years later. They never registered the car and so it was in my name. They didnt have insurance either for 2 years till they got pulled over.

I was lucky i kept a copy of the bill of sale and faxed that in. Never heard anything about it after that.

dirtsniffer
07-19-2013, 11:03 AM
yep, a bill of sale is all you need.

BokCh0y
07-19-2013, 11:09 AM
There are a bunch of thread here about this, can't remember where though...

If you don't have a copy of the bill of sale, then you have to contact the registry and fill out an affidavit for it stating you sold it to who, what, when and blah. Then you should be fine. I think that's it, but please correct me if I am wrong, there might be more to this.

Boosted131
07-19-2013, 11:42 AM
I've sold vehicles without a bill of sale, giving them just the pink slip. What happens then?

Tik-Tok
07-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Boosted131
I've sold vehicles without a bill of sale, giving them just the pink slip. What happens then?

You're probably SOL. That's a terrible way to sell a vehicle, which is why even the Alberta government website recommends using their form.

Boosted131
07-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

You're probably SOL. That's a terrible way to sell a vehicle, which is why even the Alberta government website recommends using their form. so really I could just pay the $300 tow fee to get my $6000 car back? Sounds like a good deal

lilmira
07-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Wouldn't the new owner need a bill of sale and the old registration to register the truck?

Technically you still own it until someone can show some proof of transfer of ownership.

Power_Of_Rotary
07-19-2013, 01:18 PM
exactly...how does bill of sale benefit the seller. Only buyer should be more concerned as they have to pay up to start.

lilmira
07-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Well, as seller, you want to sever your tie to the vehicle so that if the swat team shows up at your house disrespecting your family, you just show them the bill of sale and redeem your honour.

dirtsniffer
07-19-2013, 01:24 PM
you could maybe get possession of the truck back. I would look into any legal ramifications that could exist. If the truck was somehow tied to any illegal activites you could be insinuated. The seller should keep a copy of the BOS so they can prove that they sold the truck, if you don't have one you can do as a poster above mentioned and sign a declaration stating you sold it to to xxxx xxxxx.

Tik-Tok
07-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Boosted131
so really I could just pay the $300 tow fee to get my $6000 car back? Sounds like a good deal

Until the person who purchased it shows up at the impound lot with the bill of sale. Then they'd likely be filing a stolen vehicle report.

bourge73
07-19-2013, 03:32 PM
^ True. Isnt there a stipulation saying you are required to register the vehicle in 15 days? Maybe that is something to look into. Then again I am 3 beers in and maybe out to lunch...

Tik-Tok
07-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
^ True. Isnt there a stipulation saying you are required to register the vehicle in 15 days? Maybe that is something to look into. Then again I am 3 beers in and maybe out to lunch...

Yeah, but someone would have to weigh the cost/consequences of paying a no-registration fine over losing a $6g vehicle.

Disoblige
07-19-2013, 03:38 PM
So he pays the tow fee, and guess what?
He has no keys. Boom. No free car :rofl:

HomespunLobster
07-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
So he pays the tow fee, and guess what?
He has no keys. Boom. No free car :rofl:

Well, I sold the truck for $1200. And it's down in lethbridge. I might call around and find out what's up, and if I can repossess it. I drive down there for work all the time anyways, i'll just haul it back home on a trip if the price is right.

Cos
07-19-2013, 03:43 PM

ddduke
07-19-2013, 03:52 PM
When this happened to me I had to goto the registry, fill out and affadevit (sp?) claiming I sold it, Bring that to the impound lot and then I was free.

I already tried asking if I could just keep the car and take it back but was told that if the other owner ever tried to claim it I could be charged with fraud.

CanmoreOrLess
07-19-2013, 04:16 PM
It's not his (OP) vehicle, how is it you people believe he has a right to it? He sold the vehicle fair and square, the other party has not registered their now paid for vehicle. A few of you are in a moral and legal very iffy area. Has your "Do onto others..." filter up and left the building?

The new owner is an idiot, no doubt and it is unfortunate to pull the ex-owner into his downward spiral.

HomespunLobster
07-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't really want it back anyways. Thinking back the thing was falling apart.

Balljoints, windshield, driveshaft, lifters, exhaust, transmission, rear shackles, shocks, brakes, body was rusting out.

Probably best to let the ol girl pass on.

D'z Nutz
07-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Well, as seller, you want to sever your tie to the vehicle so that if the swat team shows up at your house disrespecting your family, you just show them the bill of sale and redeem your honour.

HAHAHA! :rofl:

jonnycat
07-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by lilmira

They are talking about a vehicle, not VCR's and general merchandise

Team_Mclaren
07-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by jonnycat

They are talking about a vehicle, not VCR's and general merchandise

WTF is the diff? lol

snowcat
07-26-2013, 11:32 AM
When I sold my car, I went to the bank with him, then we went to the registry together, then he drove me home.

I'm glad we did, now I know it's all good to go!

TomcoPDR
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

WTF is the diff? lol

They were DVD players

TomcoPDR
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

WTF is the diff? lol

They were DVD players

Team_Mclaren
07-26-2013, 12:01 PM