PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Mowers: What To Get??

dj_rice
07-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Been living in a condo for so long and now finally getting my own house its time to start mowing my lawn. No idea what to get and any good deals?

All I know so far is get one with a Honda engine. Is Briggs & Stratton ones just as okay? Looking for something under $500. Or should I spend a litte more and never have to replace again kinda deal.

Any tips Thanks in Advance

Size of lawn is small. Small strip on left side, small strip on right side. Since house is front attached garage. But big backyard so all grass.

codetrap
07-23-2013, 03:55 PM
I bought a sears B&S one in 2005. I take care of it. It works perfectly.

ExtraSlow
07-23-2013, 04:03 PM
If you have a mid sized or smaller lawn, consider getting electric. The maintenence is pretty much zero. I have a small lawn, and even messing aroud with the electrical cords is way less hassle than the upkeep of a gas mower.

Then again, some people find lawnmower maintenence relaxing. I'm not one of those people.

darthVWader
07-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Home Depot Cub Cadet http://www.homedepot.ca/product/cub-cadet-self-propelled-mower-160cc/818252

On sale now for under $500.00 and it has a Honda 160cc

lint
07-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
If you have a mid sized or smaller lawn, consider getting electric. The maintenence is pretty much zero. I have a small lawn, and even messing aroud with the electrical cords is way less hassle than the upkeep of a gas mower.

Then again, some people find lawnmower maintenence relaxing. I'm not one of those people.

+1 for electric. I picked up a Solaris cordless on clearance from HD 3 years ago, about as maintenance free as you can get, super quiet and no exhaust smell. Batteries are still going strong and I have a fairly big lot (pie). I just pop them into the mower and pop them out to charge when done. The biggest hassle is moving the batteries and charger into my basement over the winter.

dj_rice
07-23-2013, 04:18 PM
http://www.costco.ca/Poulan-Pro%c2%ae-Honda-3-in-1-Self-propelled-Mower.product.100041099.html

http://www.costco.ca/Poulan-Pro%c2%ae-Honda-3-in-1-Push-Mower.product.10366062.html

I was looking at these 2. Honda engine and from Costco, since Costco warranty/returns.

Does brand really matter or is it mainly the engine is the important thing?

sillysod
07-23-2013, 04:26 PM
After talking to a member on here that is a lawnmower mechanic I found out that they are all made by pretty much 1 of 2 manufacturers.

None are really good any more unless you get a commercial one $$$$.

Personally I would even get a used one off of Kijiji, change the plug and oil in it and you will be good.

nobb
07-23-2013, 04:27 PM
For a small area, I think a corded electric mower would be better than a battery powered one.

They always design the battery powered ones with lead acid batteries, which need to be constantly trickle charged or else they die. Even then, they never seem to last more than 5 years. Im pretty sure the maintenance cost on the battery powered ones will exceed gas powered due to battery replacement costs. Oil changes, spark plugs, and air filters are cheap maintenance...but a bit more mechanically involved than swapping out a battery.

mix123
07-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Corded? I always laugh when I see people cutting their lawn with those....what a pain in the ass.

BigDL
07-23-2013, 04:59 PM
If you can find an older Honda those things are bullet proof, I am talking about ones from late 80s to early 90's.

We have one at home that is from the mid 80's, we put it in the shed at the end of the summer and bring it back out in the spring. We don't do anything to it and it fires up every year without any issues. I think the model is like a HR214 or something similar.

Haven't changed the oil or spark plug in years. The only issue it has is when the grass is really long or really wet.

They just don't make them like they used to :(

Graham_A_M
07-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Avoid Briggs and Shiton. Their garbage, I remember taking apart an engine when I was 9, since with a bent shaft it was junk. The cam gear and cam lobes were made of plastic. It's like, really? :nut:

For engines, stick to Kohler, Honda, Kawasaki or Suburu. Nothing else. We have a B & S mower from 1992 that still works, but it's never been beaten on in the least. I'd recommend watching out on the HD specials for a Husqvarna mower with a Honda engine. You can't go wrong, and their from the high $300-$500 range. They'll last forever and always be very easy to start. Toro also makes wicked mowers, but those are $$$$$$$

Pacman
07-23-2013, 05:20 PM
I've got an electric corded mower. As long as your yard isn't too big, the cord management is fine. If it's large with lots of trees or obstacles to go around, you will be cursing the cord getting caught on everything.

blitz
07-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
http://www.costco.ca/Poulan-Pro%c2%ae-Honda-3-in-1-Self-propelled-Mower.product.100041099.html

http://www.costco.ca/Poulan-Pro%c2%ae-Honda-3-in-1-Push-Mower.product.10366062.html

I was looking at these 2. Honda engine and from Costco, since Costco warranty/returns.

I've had the cheaper of those 2 for about 6 years. Great mower. It's $299 in store if they still have stock.

My theory for lawn equipment is you buy a good engine with the least amount of fancy crap that can break (self propelled, attachments etc).

roopi
07-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by mix123
Corded? I always laugh when I see people cutting their lawn with those....what a pain in the ass.

I have one and I agree a pain in the ass. I wouldn't do it again. Waiting for it to die so I can go cordless or gas.

benyl
07-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by lint

+1 for electric. I picked up a Solaris cordless on clearance from HD 3 years ago, about as maintenance free as you can get, super quiet and no exhaust smell. Batteries are still going strong and I have a fairly big lot (pie). I just pop them into the mower and pop them out to charge when done. The biggest hassle is moving the batteries and charger into my basement over the winter.

Got the same one during the same sale.

2000 sqft of lawn. Can mow it twice before needing a recharge.

revelations
07-23-2013, 06:03 PM
We have a small lawn as well and while we have a corded model, we tend to use a manual push mower the most.

89coupe
07-23-2013, 06:54 PM
I have a gas mower, works great! I use roughly 10l of gas per year. I cut my grass once a week. Starts first pull every time.

Ven
07-23-2013, 07:06 PM
The cheapest mowers will last forever with maintenance. Get one with a big bag, use good gas, drain the carb when storing, change the oil yearly, check the plug and air filter yearly and replace as needed, keep the underside of the deck clean, and sharpen and balance the blade as needed.

Unless you intend to pass that mower down through the generations, or it's an image thing, there's no reason to spend over $500 on a mower. By that time Monsanto will have a grass patent that stops growing at exactly 2 7/8" and doesn't need water anyway.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
07-23-2013, 08:52 PM
If your going to get a self propelled mower I'd recommend getting a rwd or 4wd the fwd mowers struggle a bit on anything but the most flat and even terrain.

89coupe
07-23-2013, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO
If your going to get a self propelled mower I'd recommend getting a rwd or 4wd the fwd mowers struggle a bit on anything but the most flat and even terrain.

Lets not promote laziness.

Push your fucking mower, get a little exercise.

ExtraSlow
07-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Corded mower isn't a big hassle for medium sized lawns, but if you have a lot of trees to mow around, that gets old in a hurry. Helps if you plan out your mowing pattern.

codetrap
07-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Avoid Briggs and Shiton. Their garbage, I remember taking apart an engine when I was 9, since with a bent shaft it was junk. The cam gear and cam lobes were made of plastic. It's like, really? Mine is all metal. Dr. Google reports that a lot of lawn mowers have plastic parts in the engine.. including all those you listed. :P

My dad had a Toro that we bagged on as a kid. I used that for years with my *lawn mowing business*.. My brother is still using it.. 25 years later.

sabad66
07-23-2013, 10:14 PM
I've had my Murray with B&S engine and self propelled fwd for 8 years without any issues. I haven't changed the oil yet but finally had to do the spark plug this year.

Overall pretty reliable and the self propelled is a life saver because my lawn is a big hill.

'93 SR-V
07-23-2013, 10:27 PM
My parents had an average mower with a B&S engine on it... Lasted 20 years and probably saw 3 oil changes in that time. In fact the engine was still running fairly well when they replaced it (the deck rusted out). Don't know if they still make them like they did in then (1992). But I'd buy another.

bignerd
07-23-2013, 10:44 PM
We had a 20 plus year old Toro that also just died last year, my husband changed the oil in it and that was it lol.

Bought a $200 deal from Sears. We don't have that big of a yard and it had big wheels and 2hp engine. Does the job just fine, no complaints for the price.

sputnik
07-24-2013, 06:24 AM
Avoid Briggs and Shiton. Their garbage, I remember taking apart an engine when I was 9, since with a bent shaft it was junk. The cam gear and cam lobes were made of plastic. It's like, really? :nut:

My Briggs and Straton lawnmower has been running fine for over 10 years now.

Maxx Mazda
07-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Had a Toro 530. Thing is 30 years old and still runs great!

nickyh
07-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Bought a Honda gas mower (before i began my boycott) 10 years ago, probably paid $500 for it back then. Never done an oil change or changed any spark plugs and it still runs great.

mr2mike
07-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Electric? Be nice to your neighbours and get gas. The electric take longer imo and I can't stand to hear them running for hrs while it sounds like you're just vacuuming your lawn.

ExtraSlow
07-24-2013, 11:16 AM
I'd prefer if all the neighbors had electric. half the noise of gas.

88CRX
07-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Have the Fiscar manual push mower for our tiny 30'x20' yard and seems to work really well. Need to cut the grass every 4-5 days or else it gets too long and is a bit of a struggle. Thought it was going to be way too sissy haha, but no reason to bother with gas or electric for something so small.

MrSector9
07-24-2013, 11:47 AM

For engines, stick to Kohler, Honda, Kawasaki or Suburu. Nothing else. We have a B & S mower from 1992 that still works, but it's never been beaten on in the least. I'd recommend watching out on the HD specials for a Husqvarna mower with a Honda engine. You can't go wrong, and their from the high $300-$500 range. They'll last forever and always be very easy to start. Toro also makes wicked mowers, but those are $$$$$$$

All of the above engines have plastic parts in them, There is nothing wrong with a briggs engine except they are louder and not quite a smooth, much like a tecumseh.

Anything sold at a big box store is identical and built in the same factory, they are different colors, I have seen crafstman mowers come in with yardworks stickers on them covered up.

My suggestions would be as follows:

Gas: anything cheap with a honda engine that meets what you need (bagger, mulching, self propel,etc)

Electric: depends on size of yard, cordless is fine. buy it at sears as you can argue with them usually if the battery fails or something happens to it and get your money back or a brand new replacement mower. They will be overpriced at sears unless you get it during "sears days"

Most important part is ask about warranty service, Where to bring it, etc as I know the only box store that has its own shop is sears so all the rest are farmed out to contractors.

CapnCrunch
07-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
I bought a sears B&S one in 2005. I take care of it. It works perfectly.

I have a 2000 sears b&s. I don't take care of it. It works perfectly. Lol.

Lex350
07-24-2013, 11:53 AM
I still use the same mower as I used when I was a kid at my dad's place. Gas powered Lawn-boy. The think is 35 years old and still starts everytime.

diamondedge
07-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

dj_rice,

I bought that second one for my pops for father's day last year. Thing starts up like a champ, smooth and fairly easy to maneuver, push. Only thing is the bag is pretty small (compared to our old mower, an MTD) so wet + tall grass = thing is full right away. Manage that and you'll be fine.

dj_rice
07-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by diamondedge

dj_rice,

I bought that second one for my pops for father's day last year. Thing starts up like a champ, smooth and fairly easy to maneuver, push. Only thing is the bag is pretty small (compared to our old mower, an MTD) so wet + tall grass = thing is full right away. Manage that and you'll be fine.

I was thinking of going with the 2nd one, the Push Mower. But what is the difference between Push and Self-Propelled?

lint
07-24-2013, 12:44 PM
go cart vs soap box racer

dj_rice
07-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by lint
go cart vs soap box racer

So that big of a difference?I thought it was just one goes forward by itself, and the other you have to push.

lint
07-24-2013, 01:42 PM
well drive wheels and no drive wheels. after having a self propelled now, I wouldn't go back to straight push

zieg
07-24-2013, 02:06 PM
But if you go with a rwd mower you can drift it :devil:

AndyL
07-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Screw this girly man shit ;) go big or go home; you know you want a john deere tractor... just make your gates bigger and get one :poosie:

Mines getting a wing, some spinners and a cai this year :rofl:

speedog
07-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Over the past 20+ years we've had a push-reel mower, electric push, gas push and FWD gas and I'd take FWD gas over anything including RWD gas.

Why?

A push reel mower gets old real fast - just doesn't do as nice of a job cutting and any hill or bumpy terrain results in a less than stellar looking cut. Got a nice flat lawn - then it's a wonderful machine plus nothing beats the sound of a reel mower, somehow it's kind of therapeutic.

Electric - loved it but I'm a typical guy who likes to short cut (called not moving the cord - just lift those front wheels and go over the cord) and the result was multiple cut cords over the years. Plus the cord is a pain in the butt in a bigger yard especially when you've got trees, sidewalk railings and flower beds to mow around. Hills are a bummer as well.

Regular gas - hills will eventually have you cursing.

So FWD and RWD gas - we went with FWD gas, the main reason being is that to get close around objects it's easy to lift those front wheels to redirect the machine. Sure, you can dis-engage and re-engage the drive on either a FWD or RWD machine, but a FWD model allows you a little bit more flexibility. RWD though is the king on hills, but even then we went FWD despite our front lawn having a good slope - the maneuverability for the whole yard won out over climbing the hill.

One additional thing to consider - electric start, just a nice to have feature that I thought was kind of gimmicky but I've sure grown to love it.

Really it come down to what's in your yard and it's size. We have a stepped sidewalk with a railing out front, a front lawn with a good slope plus lilac bushes, mature deciduous and coniferous trees, multiple flower beds and then a rear lawn with more lilacs, garden and flower beds and a fire pit.

If it had been a plain flat lawn, we'd still be using a reel mower.

dj_rice
07-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Basically a push mower = exercise
Self-propelled = no exercise

speedog
07-24-2013, 07:48 PM
I dunno - my FWD still requires effort, not as much - the sloped lawn is still a pain. Just means that I don't have the need to drink quite as much beer afterwards.

codetrap
07-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Screw this girly man shit ;) go big or go home; you know you want a john deere tractor... just make your gates bigger and get one :poosie:

Mines getting a wing, some spinners and a cai this year :rofl: I'd be willing to help you with hooking up some sweet RC action for it. :P

AndyL
07-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Me and the boys at http://www.discoverscoperta.org/ keep talking about doing an automagic - self propelled, self steering, GPS, and waypoint based automagic mower...

Or I could get beyond baller status and just go buy one of these
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/robotic-mowers/husqvarna-robotic-mowers-for-homeowners/

nonofyobiz
07-25-2013, 07:49 PM
I think you should buy a mower from a place that services what they sell.

Sears- I have a B&S mower and maintenance isn't that bad. I love it. I can get the B&S maint. kit from Canadian tire, comes with air filter, oil, spark plug, and gas additive thingy that I think is for winter. Anyway, this year is like the first year I serviced it after 4 yrs since my lawn is small.

you can check out Arnes, or Alberta forest and garden Supply I think.

LLLimit
07-25-2013, 10:47 PM
With a medium sized lot, I tried a reel mower for a few months because I didn't want to deal w/ maintenance, noise & little storage room in the garage; started to hate it at the end. The front yard was flat & smooth, which exactly what's made for. The back yard had ruts, dips, and small pits everywhere and it was nightmare.

I had enough of that shiz and bought a craftsman B&S
http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsman-md-22-rear-wheel-drive-3-in-1-lawn-mower/671-000927525-36309

I'm getting too old to struggle w/ a lawn

sunbot
07-27-2013, 10:26 AM
I just purchased a mower a month ago at canadian tire and I would highly recommend the troy bilt mowers. Brought it home and the install was super easy, very light weight and easy to handle. In my haste I put oil in the gas tank and realized it as i was pouring lol :banghead:. drained it and cleaned out the oil as best i could and left it upside in my garage for a couple hours. Works like a beast no ill effects from the oil.

All models have the 160CC Honda engines. Then you choose the features that will cater to your needs. For me, a corner lot, flat and around 3400 sqft, no trees, no garden, no fence (yet) so basically it came down to their push mower 379 and their FWD mower on sale for 399 at the time(regular 449)...easy decision for 20 bucks more having the FWD feature is great. The FWD is pretty cool, its powerful and your legs will get more a workout then your arms. I wouldn't recommend the most expensive model 599 as all it has extra is key start and speed control drive system.

dj_rice
07-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Gonna go with the $319 Poulan Pro from Costco. Reviews are great and Costco's warranty and returns are amazing.

The_Rural_Juror
07-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Mine is for sale if any one else in calgary is looking. Almost new.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/fs-craftsman-professional-rwd-lawnmower/showthread.php?s=&postid=4157560#post4157560

403ep3
07-30-2013, 09:21 AM
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sears-craftsman-22-3-1-honda-gcv-160-engine-lawnmower-249-95-reg-499-99-a-1365981/

Apparently a good deal?:dunno:

masoncgy
07-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Buy an old Lawn Boy mower... if it's been maintained over the years it'll be a solid mower, plows through anything without hesitation and leaves you with that wonderful scent of burnt mixed fuel and fresh cut grass... mmmm.

Mine is a 21" 1978 model, great shape, starts on the first pull and I wouldn't have anything else. They were the greatest mowers when I was a kid and I still love 'em today.

78si
08-02-2013, 12:29 PM
AWD:burnout:

http://www.husqvarna.com/ca/en/products/lawn-mowers/hu800awd/

Lex350
08-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Buy an old Lawn Boy mower... if it's been maintained over the years it'll be a solid mower, plows through anything without hesitation and leaves you with that wonderful scent of burnt mixed fuel and fresh cut grass... mmmm.

Mine is a 21" 1978 model, great shape, starts on the first pull and I wouldn't have anything else. They were the greatest mowers when I was a kid and I still love 'em today.

:thumbsup:

lil_Civic_HB
08-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Black and Decker 36V self propelled mower. You won't be disappointed.

theken
08-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Manual mower is what I went to. Best choice for me

tirebob
08-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Cheap ass gas home depot special going on 12 years now and never a lick of trouble. Sharpen the blade and clean the plus once a year for abour 20/30 minutes of work and she always does the job!

Sugarphreak
08-14-2013, 08:57 PM

triplep
08-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Wheels are for chumps, you should get one of these bad boys!

http://www.thegreenhead.com/2005/05/hovermower-by-eastman-industries.php

http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/hover-mower-1.jpg

CapnCrunch
08-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by triplep

I saw some people using those when I was in Hawaii. It was pretty neat to see how low they were cutting the grass.

project240
08-15-2013, 01:53 PM
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a JD x500 with mower, snowblower and tiller... Cutting grass and snow removal will be a lot more enjoyable...

mikestypes
08-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by triplep

These things are garbage! They don't cut worth a shit! The force required for it to "hover" is created by the blades blowing downwards. Guess what that also does....yup flattens the grass and then it doesn't get cut.