PDA

View Full Version : Where Do You Look For Jobs

Masked Bandit
07-24-2013, 07:40 AM
I haven't had to apply for a job for close to 20 years. Back then there was no Monster / Workopolis, just look in the newspaper or at the employment office. So my question is, where do people look for jobs today? I'm going to be hiring in the next month or two and I'm not really sure where the best places are to advertise. So Beyond, when you are thinking of switching jobs, where do you go.

I guess I should also throw in that this is directed to people who are looking for career type jobs, not casual student / part-time stuff.

davidI
07-24-2013, 07:42 AM
LinkedIn. I have people contact me through there all the time trying to recruit just based on my profile. If I was trying to hire someone, I'd probably do the same. If they aren't interested, they may refer someone to you.

IggyB
07-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Linked in is a good start. But you will get people from all over the world looking to be relocated on your dime and so on. Outline your requirements and state that only people meeting them will be considered.

AudiPWR
07-24-2013, 07:53 AM
indeed.ca
linkedin
find companies you like, go to there website and check their careers section for posting.

Since I hit 100 connections on linked in I get messages from recruiters all the time asking me if I will leave my current job to start with them.

ExtraSlow
07-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Linkedin is super annoying. I'm not actively looking for a new job, and I get at least five messages a week asking me to apply places. If they are from the UK of USA, I just ignore them since i'm not looking to move. If they are local, I usually do link up with them, and politiely tell them to contact me in a year or two.

I assume once I am looking, this network of contacts may be useful, but we shall see.

Mibz
07-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Every career job I've had, save for one, was through existing contacts. That said, I have an active LinkedIn profile and I activate my Monster profile when contract renegotiation time comes around, just in case.

A790
07-24-2013, 08:36 AM
Kijiji/Monster. Don't forget the Canada job bank.

Graham_A_M
07-24-2013, 10:21 AM
I've talked to people in my related industry. They usually know of countless other companies that are hiring, and which to work for and which to avoid.

Through word of mouth, thats helped me enormously.

Why are you thinking of leaving TouchStone? wow.... :eek:

HiTempguy1
07-24-2013, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by A790
Kijiji/Monster. Don't forget the Canada job bank.

Canada Job Bank is really good, just hate the formatting.

G-ZUS
07-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I've talked to people in my related industry. They usually know of countless other companies that are hiring, and which to work for and which to avoid.

Through word of mouth, thats helped me enormously.

He's looking to hire someone

EK69
07-24-2013, 03:42 PM
I'm looking for a job :D

Kijiji is ok but its a mess and your ad will likely get pushed down unless you continuously spam it up, plus not a very professional place I'm finding..

Canada job bank would be a good place
Monster Is somewhere I am looking as well haven't checked out workopolis yet

adamc
07-24-2013, 03:53 PM
infooil.com
oilcareers.com
rigzone.com
^ all strictly o&g based sites, as you can probably gather from the urls

monster.com
workopolis.com
indeed.ca
beyond.ca :)

and the headhunters

summit search group (lot of account exec. jobs)
questus
Hays
locke and associates

Graham_A_M
07-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah I'd recommend canadajobshop.ca

Decent candidates are a lot easier to find there then on places like Kijiji.

AndyL
07-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

:rofl: His boss retired him :rofl:

:D My boss is threatening to retire me too :D

No useful advice other than to train fresh rather than hire 'experienced', no point breaking new guys of old bad habits...

Johnnnnnnnn
07-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Indeed
LinkedIn
Monster
Careerowl
Job Bank
CareerLink

No luck though it's hard to find entry level positions =S

bourge73
07-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Johnnnnnnnn
Indeed
LinkedIn
Monster
Careerowl
Job Bank
CareerLink

No luck though it's hard to find entry level positions =S

Sorry man but you are borderline retarded
Or worse if you can't find a job in Calgary these days

woodywoodford
07-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Eluta.ca also

revelations
07-24-2013, 07:10 PM
Bill, I would start here personally.... Beyond has a huge following.

If you get no good candidates within 7 days, then I would look elsewhere.

Redlined_8000
07-24-2013, 07:41 PM
The first place I would look is friends! EDIT: as long as they are same career ect ect.

muffzz
07-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by EK69
I'm looking for a job :D

Kijiji is ok but its a mess and your ad will likely get pushed down unless you continuously spam it up, plus not a very professional place I'm finding..

Canada job bank would be a good place
Monster Is somewhere I am looking as well haven't checked out workopolis yet

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been looking for the past couple months applying everywhere kijij, indeed, monster, calgaryjobshop, workopolis, linked in, every place possible but still no luck :(:(. It's pretty hard these days. At this point I've been applying for any positions. Just need to get something.

Jeff_E
07-30-2013, 11:11 PM
indeed and eluta is the best place to post a hiring ad especially if it is more on the oil & gas field.

LinkedIn is great place to look at online resume available to you and you get to pick an individual that matches your current needs.

calgaryjobshop and workopolis is also great.

Let us not forget, our very own. "beyond.ca" :thumbsup:

a social dsease
07-31-2013, 08:27 AM
What I usually do is make a list of all companies I would consider working for within my industry, and then visit their websites/career pages one by one. Alot of times companies will have openings that are only posted on their website and are not listed on any of the major employment sites.