PDA

View Full Version : Stolen vanity plate

know1edge
07-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Just out of curiosity, if a personalized license plate is reported stolen, can it EVER be used again?

Did a quick search and didn't really find much, I see Ontario has a 6 month period before you can re-use the plate #, is it the same for AB?

eglove
07-26-2013, 08:04 PM
I think I read in another thread on beyond that if it's stolen it's done. Can't be registered again.

soloracer
07-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Whose plate are you thinking of stealing?

403ep3
07-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by soloracer
Whose plate are you thinking of stealing?

lol I thought the same thing

bjstare
07-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Maybe brandon can shed some light on this. I'm pretty sure his has been stolen, and he's still managed to keep the same word on it...?

soloracer
07-27-2013, 09:56 AM
For the record, you get two physical plates when you order a vanity plate. Someone would have to steal both of them.

blitz
07-27-2013, 10:20 AM
For the record, you get two physical plates when you order a vanity plate. Someone would have to steal both of them.

I only got one last month :dunno:

toastgremlin
07-27-2013, 12:22 PM
For the record, you get two physical plates when you order a vanity plate. Someone would have to steal both of them. Why two?

403civic
07-27-2013, 12:25 PM
you get 2; they are stacked ontop of each other when they mail it to you.

its so if one gets damaged you have a back up

know1edge
07-27-2013, 12:34 PM

but if you use the 2nd one, you'd be getting pulled over all the time since the plate's reported stolen.
Unless you don't report it and run the risk of the thief using it

dannie
07-28-2013, 07:41 AM
I have had this happen twice to people. There are no guidelines as far as Alberta Registries go. If you cancel it, you lose the plate. What I had suggested to the people was that they go and declare it stolen with CPS and then register the 2nd plate you get in the package. The problem with this is, once you declare it stolen, expect to be pulled over.

soloracer
07-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by know1edge

but if you use the 2nd one, you'd be getting pulled over all the time since the plate's reported stolen.
Unless you don't report it and run the risk of the thief using it

And if the thief uses it wouldn't his car have to match yours?

DeeK
07-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by 403civic
you get 2; they are stacked ontop of each other when they mail it to you.

its so if one gets damaged you have a back up

You get two incase you drive through a state that requires both front and rear licence plates.

schocker
07-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by DeeK
You get two incase you drive through a state that requires both front and rear licence plates.
Then why don't we have two of the regular plates....

bjstare
07-28-2013, 03:47 PM

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii628/keboom99/futurama-fry-meme-generator-not-sure-if-serious-or-just-stupid-295f03.jpg

know1edge
07-28-2013, 04:08 PM

And if the thief uses it wouldn't his car have to match yours?

well no they could just use it for getting speeding tickets, gas&dashes, bank robberies, car shows or whatever

JustinMCS
07-29-2013, 12:01 AM

lol no.

if you are from ab you don't need to put on the other one up front if you go into BC.

you get two because you just spent 250 on custom plates and you might want to have it on the front and rear of your car.

spikerS
07-29-2013, 06:47 AM
you get 2 because back in the day, AB cars were required to run a front and rear mounted plate, and they have not updated the policy regarding vanity plates since the legislation changed, requiring only a plate on the rear.

Fact: Your vanity plate is only an "avatar" for your normal plate. When you register your vehicle, you would get a standard plate. IE: ABC-1234. You can then order your vanity plate "B3Y0ND". So while your licence plate my say your magic word, your vehicle is still registered as ABC-1234.

lilmira
07-29-2013, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by spikers

Fact: Your vanity plate is only an "avatar" for your normal plate. When you register your vehicle, you would get a standard plate. IE: ABC-1234. You can then order your vanity plate "B3Y0ND". So while your licence plate my say your magic word, your vehicle is still registered as ABC-1234.

Really? Did not know that. What if you just order a vanity plate and not register it with any car at the beginning, then you decide to put it on a new car which is never registered? How does that work?

rage2
07-29-2013, 08:13 AM
haha so not a fact.

spikerS
07-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by lilmira

Really? Did not know that. What if you just order a vanity plate and not register it with any car at the beginning, then you decide to put it on a new car which is never registered? How does that work?

You can't just "transfer" any plate. If you have it on Car A, and then want to put it on Car B, you have to go to the registries office, and transfer the whole registration of the plate ABC-1234, as that is the real plate assigned to the vehicle.

A vanity plate does not circumvent the need to register plate transfers between vehicles.

Disoblige
07-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Edit: You get 2 custom plates in the mail when you order for them for a car.

spikerS
07-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by rage2

haha so not a fact.

Exactly fact.

I know this, as it was explained to me when I got my vanity plate back in the day at crowfoot plates, and again by an RCMP member when doing a ride along.

When you order a vanity plate, they give you the normal ABC-1234 plate, and then order your vanity plate. You drive around with the ABC-1234 plate for however long it takes you to receive the vanity plate in the mail, then you can make the switch.

However, those 2 plates, are now forever linked together. When an officer runs your vanity plate, the old ABC-1234 will always show in the system as being the active plate.

feel free to disprove me, I don't mind admitting when I am wrong. I am giving you my real world experience.

Disoblige
07-29-2013, 08:19 AM

When you order a vanity plate, they give you the normal ABC-1234 plate, and then order your vanity plate.
What if I ordered the plate a long time ago, and then registered my car after?

You can get a custom plate without a normal plate first. That plate is under your name and it doesn't need to be registered.

Some people just need to drive right away maybe and didn't plan it through.

lilmira
07-29-2013, 08:21 AM

You can't just "transfer" any plate. If you have it on Car A, and then want to put it on Car B, you have to go to the registries office, and transfer the whole registration of the plate ABC-1234, as that is the real plate assigned to the vehicle.

A vanity plate does not circumvent the need to register plate transfers between vehicles.

I didn't mean just putting it on a new car without registering it. Say, I order a vanity plate in advance and don't register to any vehicle just yet. When time comes to buy a new vehicle, even a used vehicle, I go to register the car with the vanity plate, that car wouldn't have any other plate registered under my name previously right? It's a valid question I think.

spikerS
07-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

What if I ordered the plate a long time ago, and then registered my car after?

You can get a custom plate without a normal plate first. That plate is under your name and it doesn't need to be registered.

Some people just need to drive right away maybe and didn't plan it through.

As far as I know, you can't just order a plate for the sake of ordering a plate.

I can not comment to that in any way as I never asked a question like that when I got mine or when doing ride alongs.

rage2
07-29-2013, 08:24 AM
Vanity plate is almost like a normal plate. The differences are:

1. You can do a 1 time ownership transfer of the plate to an immediate family member
2. You can buy and own the plate without registering it on a car.

It's not linked to any normal sequence plate. It's a standalone plate all by itself. Like normal plates, they're tied to an owner for life, can't give it to someone else (with the transfer exception).

I've got like 4 vanity plates sitting in my office that's never been registered lol. My rage2 plate was owned for a few years before I used it for the first time, at which time it was registered as rage2, didn't get issued a standard plate. It's not an avatar haha.

Disoblige
07-29-2013, 08:24 AM

As far as I know, you can't just order a plate for the sake of ordering a plate.

I think that's where you're confused.

You can order a plate and keep it forever unregistered if you want to. It's your plate, and you can do whatever the fuck you want with it haha.

rage2
07-29-2013, 08:32 AM

I can not comment to that in any way as I never asked a question like that when I got mine or when doing ride alongs.
Proving you wrong.

These plates were issued to me around 2001, a few years before the R32 GTR was legal here. It was my dream car growing up, and I was anticipating the 15 year old import rule, and wanted the plate before anyone thought of registering it. Still in it's original wrapper.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/null_zpse32e1a6c.jpg

One day I'll have a car attached to that plate. :rofl:

spikerS
07-29-2013, 08:32 AM
well, there you have it.

We are all right.

The info I provided earlier is correct, or at least up until about 1999 as the registries agent I just spoke to from service alberta recalls it. She said it was about that time that they made the change that you can transfer a plate to an immediate family member, and register a vanity plate without actually registering it to a car, but won't actually be valid for use until registered to a car.

This all makes sense now as the information I was using was from 1997 when I got my vanity plate.

The good news is, I can now snag my vanity plate that I got when I was 17, but registered under my mom's name to save on insurance! :rofl:

rage2
07-29-2013, 08:38 AM
And to answer the OP's question, any plate, vanity, normal numbered, commercial, dealer, once you lose one it's gone forever. Can never register it again. You can't even bypass the vanity plate transfer rule by cancelling and turning in the plates hoping to re-register it again by someone else.

dannie
07-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
As far as I know currently, you only get one plate when you order a custom plate.

You get two plates. They are vacuum sealed together.

Exactly fact.

I know this, as it was explained to me when I got my vanity plate back in the day at crowfoot plates, and again by an RCMP member when doing a ride along.

When you order a vanity plate, they give you the normal ABC-1234 plate, and then order your vanity plate. You drive around with the ABC-1234 plate for however long it takes you to receive the vanity plate in the mail, then you can make the switch.

However, those 2 plates, are now forever linked together. When an officer runs your vanity plate, the old ABC-1234 will always show in the system as being the active plate.

feel free to disprove me, I don't mind admitting when I am wrong. I am giving you my real world experience.

Policy used to be that we could attach a plate to an old plate to avoid you having to go to the registry to register the personalized plate. Or, you could simply order the personalized plate and hold on to it til you wanted to register it.

This policy changed in 2003. So, at the time you received your plate, that was correct.

I didn't mean just putting it on a new car without registering it. Say, I order a vanity plate in advance and don't register to any vehicle just yet. When time comes to buy a new vehicle, even a used vehicle, I go to register the car with the vanity plate, that car wouldn't have any other plate registered under my name previously right? It's a valid question I think.

Yes. You are correct

Absolutely you can. Some people order a plate for their dream car and hang on to that until they achieve that goal. Or alternatively, have ordered their dream car and order a plate to go with it. So families order a plate for their kid shortly after they are born, so they have a special plate when they begin to drive

Originally posted by rage2
And to answer the OP's question, any plate, vanity, normal numbered, commercial, dealer, once you lose one it's gone forever. Can never register it again. You can't even bypass the vanity plate transfer rule by cancelling and turning in the plates hoping to re-register it again by someone else.

You can reregister it, but you will get pulled over. The status will always be stolen for CPS.

DeeK
07-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Then why don't we have two of the regular plates....

Alberta used to require two plates, I don't know why they changed, nor do I care.

I don't make the rules.

Originally posted by JustinMCS

lol no.

if you are from ab you don't need to put on the other one up front if you go into BC.

you get two because you just spent 250 on custom plates and you might want to have it on the front and rear of your car.

I wasn't aware that BC was a state?

The laws in Canada state that if you drive into a dual plate province, you are bound by the laws of your own province and are not required to have both plates.

Not the case for some states or other countries.

brandon
07-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
Maybe brandon can shed some light on this. I'm pretty sure his has been stolen, and he's still managed to keep the same word on it...?

Are we talking about me? lol

My one and only vanity plate was "pwned" but never stolen from me... only stopped using it as internet slang progressed and I was sick of trying to explain to people at stop lights what it meant. :)