PDA

View Full Version : Working as a Heavy Hauler in the Oilsands

phaedrus16
07-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Does any know about or have any experience with regards to working as a Heavy Hauler in the Oilsands? I'm interested in taking the Heavy Hauler course at Keyano College (or wherever else something like that is offered), but am doubtful about landing a job after having completed the course. I've heard the course is somewhat difficult to get into, and even more difficult is landing a co-op placement. I've also heard that the oil companies desire to have people live in, and be part of the community (Fort Mac). I have no intention of relocating to Fort Mac. Furthermore, I would only be looking to work a year (maybe two) as a Heavy Hauler. Does any of what I've said hold true? How realistic is it to actually land a Heavy Hauler job with no experience and no contacts (but assuming that I've taken the course)?

themack89
07-28-2013, 01:10 AM
The only dude I personally know of landing a heavy hauler job had a mill wright ticket, worked as a contractor for Suncor, and kept applying for the job for them for a looong time--talkin about 2 years I think.

He told me the course is bullshit, not necessary. But then again his circumstances were different.

That's all I can tell you. :dunno: Good luck, its a good paying job but boring as shit.

infected
07-28-2013, 02:28 AM
In your situation and expextation, quite slim.

AndyL
07-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Without a treaty card or sponsor... 0%

redx2nv
07-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Most people i've seen started at Golosky trucking, then get hired after onto syncrude. Although golosky gets paid next to fuck all, and chances of getting on after are next to nill.

But if you dont mind not making huge money, work at the coal mines west of edmonton, zero expectations other than a drivers licence, union job so can bid into different equipments, or even apprenticeships. Lots of same iron as ft mac so you can get experience on.

I work for one of the "heavy hauler" dealers, only relating my experiences with my customers. The job, would be boring as all hell and no one in their right mind would do it. Id suggest being a cat skinner, lol(dozer operator).

themack89
07-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by redx2nv
Id suggest being a cat skinner, lol(dozer operator).

Haha... And then instead of going insane you get back problems and fuck up your kidneys. :rofl:

Rat Fink
07-28-2013, 10:30 AM

My_name_is_Rob
07-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
You'd lose your fucking mind. I couldn't imagine how frustrating it would be hauling some huge piece of shit from Edmonton to Fort mac at 15 km/hr. Talk about being nothing more than a steering wheel holder.....I thought longhaul was boring as hell and my scenery changed constantly. I couldn't imagine being able to see the same scenery for an hour at a time at that pace. Is the money REALLY that great? Most truck driving jobs seem to pay (real world) 60-70K before tax unless you are sacrificing your personal life on a huge level, then add maybe another 10-20K on top of that but it seems rare.

The college course will be a cash grab. It's just like the colleges offering pre-employment courses in welding, automotives, "drilling rig hand" type stuff. It probably won't give you any edge over other applicants.

I think the OP was referring to operating heavy haul trucks up north, such as 777's and 797's and the likes. Not transporting heavy loads up and down the highway.