PDA

View Full Version : new Diesel Generator wont turn over - GT6500/GTPower EDG6000S PowerTek

thetransporter
07-28-2013, 01:42 AM
Purchased it to provide power for work- during renovations (no grid power)

I checked oil, voltage on the battery, (13) voltage on the starter contacts (same as battery contacts) voltage drops to 11 when I turn the key to "start" position. no click or anything
unit has just a few hours on it.

Any suggestions?

(mine is red but homedepot sells a yellow one)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/PRO-SERIES-5-500-7-000-Watt-Quiet-Diesel-Contractor-Generator-GENSD7/100660521#.UfTLL430iVM

Graham_A_M
07-28-2013, 06:48 PM
13 is low, a well charged battery should be in the mid to high 14's. When the battery drops down to 11, thats a serious problem if there isn't any load (the engine being started) being placed on the battery. I assume it may be the heater coils for the diesel thats causing that...

But try boosting it, or placing a (trickle) battery charger on the battery overnight. If the voltage still reads at 13 or so in the morning, the battery is likely toast. If you were to boost it, it should fire up no problem.

Unfortunately, these ATV/Motorcycle/general purpose small batteries have a short shelf life. If their not used at least a few times a year, they basically die. Even then its foolish to expect them to last more then a few years at best. Mine usually last a year or two at the absolute most.

Long story short, we stopped using them entirely, unless its for a bike/quad (etc). Most times we just place a car battery by it and just use that using modified/extended cables. They last for years and have a TON more cranking capacity then do these small batteries.

Unknown303
07-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Normal at rest voltage for a 12v battery is 12.7 +/- depending on manufacturers specs.

if he was at 13v he's sitting around 2.17 volts per cell which isn't 100% charged but not depleted.

Graham_A_M
07-28-2013, 07:08 PM
^Thats true, 12-14 is normal, but the fact it instantely drops to 11 makes me wonder how good the battery is.

The OP should use a "carbon pile tester" (AKA Battery load tester) to see how much amps the battery can put out under a load. For a small battery like that (which size I have no idea of) should be able to put out at least 30cca to crank over a diesel engine of that size.

Unknown303
07-28-2013, 07:13 PM
11v isn't that bad for cranking over a diesel with a little battery. But the fact that nothing is moving is a bit of a flag I suppose..

revelations
07-28-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm no generator expert, but on a car, if there was no clicking or mechanical noises while attempting to start I would suspect a solenoid has gone bad.

Unknown303
07-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by revelations
I'm no generator expert, but on a car, if there was no clicking or mechanical noises while attempting to start I would suspect a solenoid has gone bad.

Time to get out a hammer and start swinging when that happens.

Graham_A_M
07-28-2013, 09:42 PM
^ Just a light tap man, dont bash the fucking thing. :rofl: :rofl:

But no, when the solenoid is likely to blame, you'll hear the starter whirring, doing its thing, but it wont engage onto the gear
Usually a light tap to the frontal housing of the starter can help with that, but not even the starter started spooling, which tells me likely the battery doesn't have the jam to either activate the solenoid, or the starter motor at all. On a new engine, Id be very very surprised if the starter is wholly to blame.

Reading the reviews on it, it seems like a few people are having serious issues with it though, despite being new, so its tough to say.

thetransporter
07-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
11v isn't that bad for cranking over a diesel with a little battery. But the fact that nothing is moving is a bit of a flag I suppose..

thanks, - i also did try boosting - maintaining 14.5 volts still no luck.

i will try again to tap the starter..

thanks everyone.

Unknown303
07-28-2013, 10:45 PM
you could always try the old metal screwdriver across the starter solenoid contacts. It's a pretty fast way to eliminate one possibility, just be careful.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Just a light tap man, dont bash the fucking thing. :rofl: :rofl:

But no, when the solenoid is likely to blame, you'll hear the starter whirring, doing its thing, but it wont engage onto the gear

Depends on the starter design - on some starters the solenoid is purely a relay for the starter circuit and the starter pinion is inertia-engaged. Even if it's a solenoid-engaged style, if the solenoid is truly borked it won't send power to the motor at all.

Zero102
07-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Can you reach a bolt on the front of the engine to see if it turns by hand? Maybe it has hydrolocked from a leaky injector or somehow a piston has become jammed?

thetransporter
07-30-2013, 11:03 PM
did the tapping no luck, going to turn crank somehow like Zero^ suggests.

Zero102
07-31-2013, 08:04 AM
One thing about turning engines over by hand: I don't know anything about that exact engine but some will experience timing problems if turned backwards. Make sure you are trying to turn it forwards only.

I just re-read your post and you said NO click - somehow I read that as it only clicks... I'm probably wrong after re-reading that since if the engine was jammed/seized you should still hear the starter click when it engages

thetransporter
07-31-2013, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
One thing about turning engines over by hand: I don't know anything about that exact engine but some will experience timing problems if turned backwards. Make sure you are trying to turn it forwards only.

I just re-read your post and you said NO click - somehow I read that as it only clicks... I'm probably wrong after re-reading that since if the engine was jammed/seized you should still hear the starter click when it engages
'

the only thing i do know is happening is a voltage drop, maybe its a soft replay that switches the starter? no noise?

this generator really upset me.