PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Baristas (professional or home)?

megavolt
07-29-2013, 02:16 PM
The Coffee$$$$ thread was interesting but it seems to have died, plus it was meant to talk about single-serve machines so talking about real coffee was kind of off topic. ;)

Just wondering who here is either a professional barista or prides themselves on making good coffee at home.

Feel free to list your equipment.

I personally have never worked in the business and actually don't drink coffee. My wife was a Starbuck's barista (if you can call them that, they really just push buttons), so when she left that job we knew we had to learn to make drinks at home or we'd be spending half our paycheques on Starbuck's drinks.

Turns out I'm pretty handy at fixing espresso machines so over the past while I've picked up quite a few and fixed them up. Always keeping the cream of the crop for myself.

It's been a long journey but my current setup is:

Machine: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1 Group
Grinder: Macap M5, Nuova Simonelli MCD
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Travel setup: Hario Skerton, Aeropress, MyPressi Twist.

On a side note, I've been trying to find a good barista course that would help me refine my skills especially when it comes to frothing good microfoam.

Phil and Sebastian's has one but it's too much geared towards the home barista as they only use Silvia's as the machine.

Fratello's offers courses but only to their wholesale accounts.

The Canadian Barista Acedemy in Toronto and Vancouver offer courses... but they're a little far away for that.

I would love to spend some time with a professional or seasoned home barista to absorb some skillz.

Tik-Tok
07-29-2013, 03:06 PM
http://www.chud.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/052.jpg

Just a little project of mine. In my opinion it's all about the quinic acid level. You want just north of 4800 milligrams per litre, but if you overboil to get there, you'll overheat your tannins... bitterness... yuck. So, I pull a mild vacuum that way, and I can keep the temperature no higher than 92C.

megavolt
07-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Is that a meth lab in the background? ;)

Supa Dexta
07-29-2013, 03:31 PM
You'll leach your tannins newb.. Caused by the overheating.

JRSC00LUDE
07-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Well I'm in no way qualified to make good coffee but my road trip buddy for bikes/boards always makes a point of stopping at noteable shops along the way over the years, as a result his home craft has gotten very good. What i've learned from him is milk foam is just practice, practice. Tip placement, duration and how hot you get it is what it's all about. Essentially, if you fuck your milk JUST right it will make your day.

EDIT - Deleted this part as I read your whole post, you have good equipment!

Great coffee rules! :thumbsup:

megavolt
07-29-2013, 03:59 PM
I sold the 2 Rancilio Silvia's a had a few months back.

Are you looking for a home machine like a Silvia or something commercial suitable for home use (like a 1 group Epoca)? I've got a friend that will likely be selling his Silvia soon.

Also kind of wondering why Rancilio in particular? I've got a commercial La Pavoni PUB 1 group (110V) machine I'll be looking to sell soon.

Going commercial is one of the best upgrades I've done, of course you need the room for a larger machine and the ability to plumb in water and drain lines (although there are ways around that - I run off of bottled water with a pump and a bottle for drain).

JRSC00LUDE
07-29-2013, 04:14 PM
I suggested that as they have a decent home line (as you obviously know) but if you're into commercial equipment then you're in fine shape. I should have paid attention to your list, opps! haha :thumbsup:

I don't have the patience at this point to make the endeavour worthwhile for myself but, one day.....for now I just leach good coffee off my buddy when I'm over there!

megavolt
07-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Sorry... completely misunderstood your post. :)

kaput
07-29-2013, 05:03 PM

megavolt
07-29-2013, 08:00 PM
I've never used a BDB but I've read they're pretty good machines for making drinks. The only negative things I've ever read was about their reliability and that when they do break breville's service isn't great and diy repair is pretty much a no go because parts are hard to find. I'll admit that I was thinking about getting one until I found my appia for $400 just in need of a little repair.

FixedGear
07-29-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm not as baller as you guys, but this works great for me:

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/french_press.jpg

JRSC00LUDE
07-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear

Those make a great cup of brew but if you want a latte or cappuccino you gotta pay to play!

Amysicle
07-30-2013, 10:48 PM

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/french_press.jpg If you like the French press, you'll love the Aeropress. Similar concept but with a micro filter and even easier to clean. Our French press ended up at Goodwill.

jsn
07-30-2013, 11:35 PM
:werd: I love the aeropress for normal coffee. Way quicker and easier to clean than a french press. For espresso, I use a Rancillio Silvia, with a Baratza virtuoso grinder. I'm not very good at steaming milk though.

genesis0403
07-31-2013, 02:27 AM
I have the Rancilio Silvia v3
with the Baratza Encore grinder
and the La Marzocco double basket filter.
I drink lattes daily so I've been putting a lot of effort into making the 'perfect latte'
when i steam the milk, I first start with the steam wand dipping in about 1mm. When it reaches 80 degrees I dip the wand furthest I can and tilt the jug slightly so I can get the milk moving around till 140 degrees and pull it out.

flipstah
07-31-2013, 06:54 AM
I use a moka pot at work and its way better than that Van Houtte swill. :barf:

Maxt
07-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
I use a moka pot at work and its way better than that Van Houtte swill. :barf:

:thumbsup:

I have tried many different makers and the Moka pot still makes the best brew. Even cheap coffee tastes good with that pot. I use an espresso de-caf bean most of the time.

http://www.wrcoffee.com/images/moka%20pot.jpg

flipstah
07-31-2013, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I use a Bialetti too but an electric version. Best Beyond purchase evar!

My brews are a hit with my team and prefers the pot.

FixedGear
07-31-2013, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Amysicle
If you like the French press, you'll love the Aeropress. Similar concept but with a micro filter and even easier to clean. Our French press ended up at Goodwill.

The aeropress uses paper filters that unfortunately remove most of the oils, which results in more of adrip-style product. Preserving these oils is one of the main reasons I use a french press. :)

sputnik
07-31-2013, 09:52 AM
I don't drink coffee and my wife drinks maybe 2-3 cups a week.

So when she needs a fix at home we just use our Bellman. Sure, you don't get a full 10 BAR of pressure (only 5) but it apparently still makes a decent brew and steams the milk without spending $500+ on a machine that just takes up counter space collecting dust.

http://static0.jadedpixel.com/s/files/1/0011/1932/files/bag_2-018465-010.jpg

msommers
07-31-2013, 09:53 AM
If you like the French press, you'll love the Aeropress. Similar concept but with a micro filter and even easier to clean. Our French press ended up at Goodwill.

I might have to try this because I swear by my French Press. I use the Moka Pot when I'm out of town as it's small and the Hario grinder compliments it for being compact and light (not to mention I don't need to grind that much by hand!) but I truthfully don't like the coffee much that comes out of it.

megavolt
07-31-2013, 10:06 AM
Anyone else home roast? That's the latest thing we're playing around with in my house.

A good grinder and fresh beans are supposed to be the 2 biggest factors to get good coffee no matter the brewing method.

Really considering picking up an Orphan Espresso Pharos when he starts making them again soon (huge hand grinder with large conical burrs). People are saying when they get one their $2000+ electric grinder gets neglected except when they need to make a lot of drinks for friends.

We also picked up an aeropress and hario on our last trip and tried it out. My wife liked the coffee it made but I think the big problem on the road is making decent milk to go with it. Because it doesn't produce that much coffee you can't just add cold milk to top it up. If you have a microwave you can heat it up and use a frother, but when we were camping we couldn't figure out a solution.

megavolt
07-31-2013, 02:40 PM

woodywoodford
07-31-2013, 03:43 PM
I have something like this, and it makes nothing short of terrible coffee.

http://www.kenlogwood.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/ken-logwood-coffeemaker1.jpg

But also, the keurig at work makes terrible coffee. And the corporate-grade starbucks machine. And every other coffee machine in our building. Honestly, I don't know why but there simply is no matching a hot cup from ANY of coffee shop (except maybe good earth...blegh)

Very seriously considering buying a higher end machine, but is it worth $700+ just to brew a good cup of black coffee? I don't drink latte's/espresso's/cappuccino's, but also don't know if 90% of what I'd be paying for is a milk frother thing or if I could actually expect a decent barrista-quality cup of joe.

megavolt
07-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
I have something like this, and it makes nothing short of terrible coffee.

But also, the keurig at work makes terrible coffee. And the corporate-grade starbucks machine. And every other coffee machine in our building. Honestly, I don't know why but there simply is no matching a hot cup from ANY of coffee shop

Like I said, the first thing you should do to start brewing better coffee no matter what method you're using is to get fresh beans and a good grinder and grind right before brewing.

Fresh doesn't mean you only picked them up from the supermarket last week. Fresh means you bought them from a roaster and the roasted on date (not a sell by date) is not too old (some would say 15 days).

And for the grinder it needs to produce a consistently sized particle. And well, you get what you pay for. I hate to use price as a measure of quality because there are some exceptions (people thinking that buying an expensive $300 Breville smart grinder will yield a good espresso grind). Espresso grinders are usually pricey since they need to have a consistent fine grind.

Keurig (sometimes) tastes awful because who knows how old the coffee is.

Amysicle
07-31-2013, 07:05 PM
The aeropress uses paper filters that unfortunately remove most of the oils, which results in more of adrip-style product. Preserving these oils is one of the main reasons I use a french press. :) Third parties make stainless steel filters to be used with the AeroPress. Over 4.5 stars. (http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Coffee-Filter-AeroPress/dp/B004G7TLYO)

RawB8figure
07-31-2013, 10:04 PM
Went from Rancilio to Nespresso. So far I am happy with the nespresso, quick,easy and very little clean up

FixedGear
08-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Third parties make stainless steel filters to be used with the AeroPress. Over 4.5 stars. (http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Coffee-Filter-AeroPress/dp/B004G7TLYO)

May as well just use my French press then.

flipstah
08-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
I don't drink coffee and my wife drinks maybe 2-3 cups a week.

So when she needs a fix at home we just use our Bellman. Sure, you don't get a full 10 BAR of pressure (only 5) but it apparently still makes a decent brew and steams the milk without spending $500+ on a machine that just takes up counter space collecting dust.

http://static0.jadedpixel.com/s/files/1/0011/1932/files/bag_2-018465-010.jpg

Where did you get yours? Do you know if it comes in electric, hot-plate style?

megavolt
08-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by RawB8figure
Went from Rancilio to Nespresso. So far I am happy with the nespresso, quick,easy and very little clean up

I won't argue that Nespresso is quicker, easier, and cleaner. But if it's producing better tasting coffee than your Silvia was then you were doing something wrong.

But I do realize that some people prefer the convenience of these machines despite the loss of quality.

sputnik
08-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Where did you get yours? Do you know if it comes in electric, hot-plate style?

This might sound funny but my sister found two of them at Value Village for $8 each.

Not bad considering they retail new for about $150-200.

Some people claim that they don't work on an electric stove, but we haven't had any issues with ours.

flipstah
08-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

This might sound funny but my sister found two of them at Value Village for $8 each.

Not bad considering they retail new for about $150-200.

Some people claim that they don't work on an electric stove, but we haven't had any issues with ours.

Great thrift shop buy! :hitit:

jsn
08-01-2013, 04:00 PM

May as well just use my French press then.

Pretty similar. I used to use a french press as well. I just think the aeropresss is easier to use and clean. It's also smaller so it's a lot more convenient for me since I use it quite a bit when I'm out of town. Think I'm gonna order one of those metal filters and give it a try.

Originally posted by megavolt

Fresh doesn't mean you only picked them up from the supermarket last week. Fresh means you bought them from a roaster and the roasted on date (not a sell by date) is not too old (some would say 15 days).

I've heard 2 weeks as well. I buy my beans fresh but even though I drink a cup a day, I can never go through a bag of beans in 2 weeks. Mine usually lasts from 2 to 4 weeks. I love coffee but I don't think I'm enough of a coffee connoisseur to notice a big difference in taste within those 4 weeks.

megavolt
08-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by jsn
Think I'm gonna order one of those metal filters and give it a try.

Looks like there are 2 different ones on amazon.ca.

http://www.amazon.ca/Stainless-Steel-Coffee-Filter-AeroPress/dp/B0063SL2TQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1375394606&sr=8-4&keywords=aeropress

http://www.amazon.ca/Kaffeologie-Filter-AeroPress-Stainless-Reusable/dp/B00A1GVVMY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1375394697&sr=8-9&keywords=aeropress

Think I'd probably get the first one because it's more like a portafilter basket (holes punched in metal) rather than a the second one that looks like a screen material... first one is cheaper too.

jsn
08-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Too late. I ordered the second one haha. I was actually trying to decide on which one to get. Supposed to be a lot finer of a sieve so you don't get as much particles on the bottom. But at the same time, it's still a metal filter so you don't lose the oils like you do with a paper filter.

RawB8figure
08-01-2013, 05:05 PM

I won't argue that Nespresso is quicker, easier, and cleaner. But if it's producing better tasting coffee than your Silvia was then you were doing something wrong.

But I do realize that some people prefer the convenience of these machines despite the loss of quality.

Its hard to say which one is better. I got pretty good with the rancilio over the last 4 years with out all the PID/etc. upgrades. I wouldnt say the nespresso taste quality is any less than rancilio. But I do miss trying different beans.

ronaldo
08-01-2013, 05:58 PM
I own a couple of coffee shops in Calgary. Been doing it for almost seven years now.

We use a Nuova Simonelli Aurelia II Machine at both cafes. Any questions let me know...If I can answer I will:)

megavolt
08-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by ronaldo
I own a couple of coffee shops in Calgary. Been doing it for almost seven years now.

We use a Nuova Simonelli Aurelia II Machine at both cafes. Any questions let me know...If I can answer I will:)

Awesome! Can you say which shops without breaking forum rules? If not pm me. :)

Aurelia is a nice machine, big sister to my appia! I recently put an Aurelia gigleur in my appia to try to control the hot hx problem these machines seem to have in a low volume home environment. Seems to have worked well.

The_Rural_Juror
08-02-2013, 12:51 PM

I would like to know which shops as well.

TurboMedic
08-02-2013, 01:24 PM
current setup:

Izzo Alex Duetto dual boiler, PID, Rotary machine plumbed in, Wega Max 6.4 (Compak K6) grinder, roast with a stir crazy/turbo oven combo for now, waiting for a Behmor 1600 to come up for a reasonable price (any leads anyone??)

Past setups have included a Rancilio Silvia w/PID, a Rancilio S20 commercial rotary (that thing was huuuuuge!) HX machine, and grinders were a Rocky and a Baratza.

The Duetto was the machine I always wanted so I don't see myself changing to anything else (unless I score a sweet 2 group E61 Electra or something like that). The dual boiler is just way too good, and I love the look of the machine

megavolt
08-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Awesome setup. I bought my Behmor at Seattlecoffeegear when I was down in Seattle for $300. I've seen them up here for $350 so I didn't get as great a deal as I thought (plus now I technically have no warranty in Canada).

Quite a few different machines have been through my house... Solis SL70, Electra Cappuccina, Rancilio Silvia V1, La Pavoni Napolitana, Starbuck's Sirena, Rancilio Epoca 2 Group 220V, Wega EVD 1 Group 110V, Nuova Simonelli Appia 1 Group 110V (current machine), 2 La Pavoni PUB V 1 Group 110V machines I'm currently fixing up, Saeco Vienna Plus superautomatic, Gaggia Titanium superautomatic.

Most were bought broken and I fixed them (or not) and either upgraded what I had or sold them.

The most I've ever paid for a machine is $400 for my current Appia (worth $4000). Just needed a $10 part to fix.

My grinders I paid $250 for the Macap and the Nuova Simonelli came as a package deal with the huge Rancilio machine I bought for $50.

ronaldo
08-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

I would like to know which shops as well.

They are Good Earth Cafe's

TurboMedic
08-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Awesome setup. I bought my Behmor at Seattlecoffeegear when I was down in Seattle for $300. I've seen them up here for $350 so I didn't get as great a deal as I thought (plus now I technically have no warranty in Canada).

Quite a few different machines have been through my house... Solis SL70, Electra Cappuccina, Rancilio Silvia V1, La Pavoni Napolitana, Starbuck's Sirena, Rancilio Epoca 2 Group 220V, Wega EVD 1 Group 110V, Nuova Simonelli Appia 1 Group 110V (current machine), 2 La Pavoni PUB V 1 Group 110V machines I'm currently fixing up, Saeco Vienna Plus superautomatic, Gaggia Titanium superautomatic.

Most were bought broken and I fixed them (or not) and either upgraded what I had or sold them.

The most I've ever paid for a machine is $400 for my current Appia (worth $4000). Just needed a $10 part to fix.

My grinders I paid $250 for the Macap and the Nuova Simonelli came as a package deal with the huge Rancilio machine I bought for $50.

Yah I'm always scouring kijiji for deals, or fixer uppers......theres some great ones to be had!

TurboMedic
08-02-2013, 03:07 PM

They are Good Earth Cafe's

I don't mean to be blunt, but most I have been to have poorly trained baristas....You have good potential with your beans and equipment (fratello roasts yours right??), but like most places you get people who don't have a passion for coffee and who aren't trained to maximize the machines, or to tune the grind and dose throughout the day..... I hope you're an owner who really wants to compete with the "true" cafe's (Analog, Kawa, Rosso, Crema, P&S, hell even Java Jamboree in cochrane), where almost every cup is amazing sweet and deep......Until the training and taste changes I'd consider places like Good Earth in the same realm as Waves, Starbucks, and Second Cup........Up for the challenge to change my mind??

ronaldo
08-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by TurboMedic

I don't mean to be blunt, but most I have been to have poorly trained baristas....You have good potential with your beans and equipment (fratello roasts yours right??), but like most places you get people who don't have a passion for coffee and who aren't trained to maximize the machines, or to tune the grind and dose throughout the day..... I hope you're an owner who really wants to compete with the "true" cafe's (Analog, Kawa, Rosso, Crema, P&S, hell even Java Jamboree in cochrane), where almost every cup is amazing sweet and deep......Until the training and taste changes I'd consider places like Good Earth in the same realm as Waves, Starbucks, and Second Cup........Up for the challenge to change my mind??

I agree...I visit other cafe's and it bugs me when I see the barista's with almost no knowledge or passion. I put a big emphasis on quality and customer service in my locations and it has paid off. Below is a CTV news story about one of my barista's:

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=915786&binId=1.1201914&playlistPageNum=1

I don't mean to brag but my cafe's are repeatedly winning top honours within the company. Feel free to pop in and and check us out when you get a chance!

megavolt
08-02-2013, 03:57 PM

Feel free to pop in and and check us out when you get a chance!

Which locations?

Unfortunately I think that's the good and the bad of franchising. Other locations can reflect poorly on the brand as a whole and you have little control over what happens outside the stores that you own.

bh87
08-02-2013, 04:35 PM
My history is as follows:

Bialetti Stove Top Espresso maker
Greek stove top maker (bought from Kalamata Grocery)
Hario Water Dripper Clear (cold drip coffee maker) takes a long time but is delicious (also FULL of caffeine, for better or worse) best results from light to medium roast beans, I liked medium roast columbian the best.

Upgraded to a Jura Impressa C9 Superautomatic which I am in love with! And no, it doesnt make as good an espresso as the high end manual machines but I would say its close enough that the convenience factor out weighs the difference for me.

First ginder was a blade style cheapo from superstore which is now used for spices!
Upgraded to a cuisinart burr grinder after about 1 month of inconsistent coffee and never looked back.

Current beans I use are Cafe Beano Espresso beans (distributed from Fratello I beleive). Used to buy Phil and Sebastien/15 kilo espresso then moved to the Roasterie espresso beans. In between brought some Kona Peaberry Espresso Roast back from a trip to Hawaii which has been my favorite by far!

Edit: Typo

megavolt
08-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Just ordered a OE Pharos today. I hope it lives up to the reviews I've read.

ronaldo
08-09-2013, 03:34 PM

Which locations?

The Alberta Children's and Rockyview General Hospital's