PDA

View Full Version : Hair Transplant

R!zz0
07-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Anyone on beyond or know someone that has had a hair transplant? Are they happy with the results? Can anyone tell that you got a transplant done?

Who you recommend in Calgary? I know it's pricey like $5,000 for 2000 grafts or something like that.

Ven
07-30-2013, 11:56 AM
My friend had it done in Vancouver. $25000. Perfect result.

R!zz0
07-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Ven
My friend had it done in Vancouver. $25000. Perfect result.

:eek: How much hair did he have before the transplant?

masoncgy
07-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Embrace being bald... it's way easier. :)

Ven
07-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0

:eek: How much hair did he have before the transplant?

Totally bald on top. Took two transplants. The 25k is inclusive of travelling from Guelph to Vancouver twice. He was a bit worse that this link below.

http://www.hassonandwong.com/patient_gallery/photo_viewer4.php?pid=205&page=0&transplant_type=normal

bignerd
07-30-2013, 04:59 PM
4 words: Looks painful as fuck.

ddduke
07-30-2013, 05:30 PM
I know a stylist that got it done, he was about the same as the guy in the link.

He ended up travelling to Lebanon to get it done, cost him $5000 for 4000. Which from what I hear is an amazing deal, it's been a few years and he looks great.

Maybe worth looking at a reputable clinic in another country, that way you can get a vacation too. I know a handful of girls who all went to Costa Rica to get their tits done and save a ton of money.

Maybelater
07-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Does it still fall out overtime?

tirebob
08-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Just be bald... I wish all my hair would fall out so I never had to deal with it again! lol

A790
08-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Maybelater
Does it still fall out overtime?
No. The hair on the sides/back of your head is wired differently than the hair on the top of your head. Hence, the cul-d-sac look.

CanmoreOrLess
08-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
I know a handful of girls who all went to Costa Rica to get their tits done and save a ton of money.

Could you have phrased it better? :rofl:

Tik-Tok
08-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by A790

No. The hair on the sides/back of your head is wired differently than the hair on the top of your head. Hence, the cul-d-sac look.

BUT, if you get it done before you're almost completely bald, the original hairs will still continue falling out, and you'll look like you're going bald, so you will need another transplant down the road to go back to the "full head of hair"

BensonTT
08-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Embrace being bald... it's way easier. :) if you are a black dude or look like stone cold steve austin then ya, otherwise you look like a grandpa

Kloubek
08-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Nah... bald isn't so bad. It's when you still have hair on the sides you look like Grandpa.

When my hair started falling out I was able to cover it up by "fluffing" up my hair. But that only lasts a short while before it becomes obvious you are trying to cover it up. At that point, just go with the motto "bald is beautiful".

b_t
08-01-2013, 01:45 PM
you do know you can stop your hair from falling out with a prescription

rogaine doesn't work for shit but finasteride does. you can get it as propecia that costs a ton, or generic finasteride where it's like $90 for a whole year's supply

works great, I just wish I started taking it sooner

BensonTT
08-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Sure, go on propecia if you want a limp dick

Tik-Tok
08-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by b_t
finasteride does. you can get it as propecia that costs a ton, or generic finasteride where it's like $90 for a whole year's supply

works great, I just wish I started taking it sooner

Doesn't work for everyone. I tried it for 18 months, and had no change

Originally posted by BensonTT

Never effected me in that way :dunno:

Shlade
08-01-2013, 02:46 PM
http://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/hair-growing-helmet

A790
08-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by BensonTT
I was taking finesteride for a few years with no issue. However, then I noticed my bladder started acting up and I'd feel like I had to pee CONSTANTLY... even immediately after going pee.

Went off of finesteride, and three months later I feel normal. Now my hair is once again falling out but at least I'm not feeling like I gotta take a leak all the time.

DeathBy240
08-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Wherever you get it done, beware of the danger of GVH:

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Tobias.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/3748461e610259204718f65932635183/tumblr_mkosj6DCXI1s5o68uo1_500.jpg

ddduke
08-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
Just be bald... I wish all my hair would fall out so I never had to deal with it again! lol

I could never do this, if I was going bald I'd take any sort of medication, get plugs, do whatever. I'm way too vain to let myself go.

Also, no matter how much anyone argues this, I'm positive beyond any doubt that almost 100% of women prefer men with hair over bald men. You also can't hide it, even when you bic it, you have a 5 o'clock cul de sac shadow the next day.

Jason Stathom is the only guy who can pull it off.

AE92_TreunoSC
08-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Mine is just starting to thin, I'm trying Minoxidil 5% for 6 months and will probably report on its progress. I promised myself I wouldn't go down without a fight. It works best for late 20s thinning men so its totally worth a shot.

I'm a month in, apparently its working if it causing initial hair loss, which is the case so far.

I'm skinny, pale and tall, I look retarded bald. :D

sputnik
08-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Men in good shape and who take care of themselves are the only guys who can pull it off.

Fixed.

R!zz0
08-02-2013, 09:22 AM
It might be cheaper at another country, but let's say something goes wrong?
Also, don't they call you in for follow ups?

Buying clothes and toys from different countries is awesome. When it comes to your health, i think i'm better off paying that extra couple thousand just in case something fucks up. That said, i'm starting to see my hair on top and the crown get thinner and thinner. I wonder if they'll reject me because i still have hair but only really thin.

b_t
08-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Fixed.

bingo
and that's why I have a home gym

bald and paunchy, bald and fat, bald and scrawny... game over for your dating prospects. bald and ripped, girls don't really seem to care

KRyn
08-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by b_t

bingo
and that's why I have a home gym

bald and paunchy, bald and fat, bald and scrawny... game over for your dating prospects. bald and ripped, girls don't really seem to care

Yup, if I ever do go bald. I am cleaning up my diet and jumping on some test. I will at least be bald, shredded and jacked. At that point I will already be bald and not have to worry about losing the hair I have right now from the test.
:D

ddduke
08-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

Yup, if I ever do go bald. I am cleaning up my diet and jumping on some test. I will at least be bald, shredded and jacked. At that point I will already be bald and not have to worry about losing the hair I have right now from the test.
:D

If there's signs of you thinning just jump on the gh train early. I get my hair cut 3 times a month and both stylists keep telling me my hairs getting thicker and fuller, but I never even had any signs of balding to begin with.

msommers
08-14-2013, 09:23 PM
My doc gave me a prescription for Proscar and told me to think about it for awhile. Been looking through a lot of literature and think I might give it a whirl because truthfully it's killing my confidence (whether it actually matters who knows). This is a very comprehensible review I found and it's recent (2012). The hair transplant thing was just too expensive for now. Down-payment or hair? Try the cheaper option first: prescription.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481923/

BensonTT
08-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Hasson & Wong will be in Calgary Sept 5th for consultation... FYI...

D. Dub
08-15-2013, 10:59 AM

I'm positive beyond any doubt that almost 100% of women prefer men with hair over bald men.

You are completely wrong.

BensonTT
08-15-2013, 11:00 AM
I am booked for consultation. Anyone want to come along? Maybe we can get a deal if more then 1 person does the hair transplant...

Sugarphreak
08-15-2013, 12:29 PM

Tram Common
08-15-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm not bald or balding, but as a man who might one day be in the boat I'm always interested in looking at the before and after pictures for men who have received some sort of "treatment."

I usually get my girlfriends to look at them with me and ask them for their thoughts. Most the women I date are very grounded individuals and would probably not mind dating a bald man... but they all admit that the "after" pictures always look better than the "before."

ddduke is right, women prefer men with hair... maybe not 100% of them... but well beyond 90% of them.

Remember, he's not claiming that 100% or 90% of women would NOT date a guy who is bald or balding... they would just simply prefer, if given the choice, that he had a full head of hair... I mean, I'd prefer to be dating girls who look 100% like Isabel Lucas... but I'll settle for a cute blonde with a tight ass and a killer set of lips. ;) :poosie:

My $0.02... if there's a treatment that works and you can afford it, go for it. :thumbsup:

littledan
08-15-2013, 04:28 PM
just an FYI

Hasson and Wong only perform the FUT style of transplant where a strip of hair is removed from the back of your head along with the skin of the scalp. This is not recommended for people with really tight scalp skin and can cause an ugly scar at the donor site.

H&W do however, have results that I would argue are the best I have seen. Very natural hairlines.

With advances in technology, I think FUE can be a better alternative for some people. It leaves very small dot scars in the donor area that can be invisible to the naked eye as they leave the surrounding hairs intact. that way you can still get your hair cut very short in the donor area. the downside is the cost and time. also, I'm not sure if they are able to perform the lateral slit technique with FUE but I don't see why they wouldn't be able to.

There has also been some research into stem cell hair cloning where they would be able to take 100 donor hairs and create like 10,000 hairs so you wouldn't be limited by the size of the donor area vs balding area.

for what its worth, I am receding but have had good success with Nioxin + nizoral + rogaine. I would not go on any type of internal 5ar blocker as that can definitely fuck with your libido etc. i believe most hair transplant doctors would prescribe finasteride as a supplemental to the HT procedure as it would prevent hair falling out in behind the transplatned area.

I would recommend that you wait it out for a few more years until H&W are performing the FUE procedure. by that time they might be cloning hairs as well. in the meantime just buzz it to like a #1 and you will probably not even want the transplant in a few years.

Cos
08-15-2013, 05:14 PM

Maxt
08-15-2013, 05:58 PM
I did some work in a hair replacement clinic, the "doc" was modelling his transplant technique... I am not sure where he pulled the hair from to plug into his scalp, but it was rowed like a tree farm and looked like pubic hair... Being balled would be better than having a freaky hair do like that.

D. Dub
08-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
IMO you'd have to be prettty vain to pay money for a hair transplant :dunno:

It is a right of passage into middle age, deal with it ;)

The real price of vanity comes with post surgical complications like infections and scarring.

AndyL
08-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Am I the only one who watched family try every spray can, herbal remedy, stupid fad, and rugs? Only to look more ridiculous than when they started?

Age gracefully, don't waste time hanging on to the past... If your folicles aren't going to co-operate, accept it and break out the turtle wax...

ddduke
08-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub

You are completely wrong.

That's all you got? just say I'm wrong and leave it at that?

how about this:

You are completely delusional if you think that a large percentage of women prefer bald men. There's a reason why solving baldness is such big business.

sputnik
08-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
I did some work in a hair replacement clinic, the "doc" was modelling his transplant technique... I am not sure where he pulled the hair from to plug into his scalp, but it was rowed like a tree farm and looked like pubic hair... Being balled would be better than having a freaky hair do like that.

Hair plugs were really bad 5-10 years ago.

Bill Burr has a funny bit about it.

http://krankr.com/clip/videos.php/photo/58044/Bill_Burr_on_Plastic_Surgery_NSFW/

D. Dub
08-16-2013, 09:09 PM

That's all you got? just say I'm wrong and leave it at that?

how about this:

You are completely delusional if you think that a large percentage of women prefer bald men. There's a reason why solving baldness is such big business.

Attraction is a complicated thing. Some women like men with beards, some women like bald men, some women like short hair, some long hair, blond, brunette. Some women like tall guys, muscular guys, chubby guys, some women even like gingers :dunno: go figure.

I agree vanity is a huuuuge business -- but I refuse to be led around by my follicles by inane, socially constructed rules about having or not having hair. Especially when these social constructs are driven by the corporate myths of "beauty" and "youth". This is an industry that creates insecurity and anxiety in weak people -- and then feeds on it like a fucking vampire.

toor
08-17-2013, 07:17 AM
I had nice strong hair but it started thinning by 22 and I had a decent bald spot by 28. Genetics and testosterone are a bitch sometimes, but my only regret is not working up the courage to shave my head several years sooner. It may not be perfect, but my head isn't lumpy or deformed (much) and not having hair suits my face, drawing attention to my other features. All thoughts and anxieties about my "fluffed up" hairdo and thin spots are GONE, replaced with a weekly #1 trim or razor if I feel like polishing the dome. No matter what shit I've been crawling through, my hair is always perfect ;) The confidence gained from that has been huge, and has done more for me with the ladies than any hairstyle you can imagine. I can rub lotions on my scalp easily, my helmets sit much better, my head stays cool in the summer breeze and running my hand over my head feels awesome. Bitches know going fully shorn takes balls, gangsta.

All of the current remedies have absurd costs or side-effects, however if this new enzyme cure is reasonable, I'd give it a shot. Although, I'm not sure I'd want to bother shampooing, styling, cutting and obsessing over my hair ever again...

calgary350z
08-31-2013, 04:37 PM
i have had a family member get one in the past and it looks great. the first three months were not fun for him but it has been 7 years and it still looks good. I too have been considering one and have done a ton of research and the newer FUE can really be effective if you go to a reputable doctor as that is what makes all the difference on how it will look for the most part.

Nobody is really that well known for amazing work in Calgary though. Dr Rahal in Ottawa is probably in the top 3 in Canada and has the best reputation. So many sites have doctored photos but he has so many beyond happy cleints they put up photos all over the internet that speak to how it has changed there life for the positive.

it is about 7-$8 a graft though for this procedure but it beats having a chunk of your scalp removed for a bit more money. They also have a consult office in Calgary but you would have to fly to Ottawa to have it done.

calgary350z
08-31-2013, 04:48 PM
I just started laser treatments with some other things tied in and will let everyone know if it actually works. I only need about 1200 grafts which is minor to replace what i have lost but wanted to try laser as i have heard good things about it for people who still have most of there hair. If it doesn't bring back enough i will get a transplant and use laser to keep the remaining hair instead of using drugs after to keep the existing hair behind it.

i keep my hair pretty short but would still like to get back as much as possible if i can as it has really started to bug me over the last few years. My wife doesn't seem to care either way but just wants me to be happy so i guess i will see how it works out.