PDA

View Full Version : Recommended shop for help with rusty bolts.

djmr2
07-31-2013, 08:54 PM
Hi guys,

I am in the process of changing out my shocks and I can't get the Lower Control Arm bolts off.

Can anyone recommend a place that will help me take it off for a reasonable cost?

Thanks!

HomespunLobster
07-31-2013, 09:01 PM
Have you tried soaking in penetrating oil? a good soaking and go back an respray every half hour-hour.
try an impact gun as well

lellowrx7
07-31-2013, 09:14 PM
go to ct and pick yourself up stripped bolt socket set 34.99$
also grab a 24" breaker bar or bigger 24.99$

or shop labour 100.00+ $

haggis88
07-31-2013, 09:16 PM
drown them in penetrating oil, 2 or 3 times and give it a few hours each them and attack them with an impact wrench!

always works for me...unless its an EG Civic, they can just FOAD

HuMz
07-31-2013, 09:30 PM
PB blaster and a torch, if that doesn't work you need to cut em out.

zieg
07-31-2013, 09:58 PM
Never had any luck with those stripped bolt removers. Was doing the balljoints on my forester a while back and the bolt stripped.. Ended up using the dremel to shave it down a bit from 14mm to a bit bigger than what 13mm would have been, then I hammered an old 13mm socket on there and hit it with the impact gun. Worked a treat I tell you what.

revelations
07-31-2013, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by HuMz
PB blaster and a torch, if that doesn't work you need to cut em out.

:werd:

I removed my lowered Civics, LCAs using JUST PB blaster and an extension. I soaked the bolts 2-3 days before going in to the shop. In fact I do this to all my vehicles when its time to take apart any undercarriage hardware (exhaust, suspension, etc.).

Keep in mind the car was originally from Ontario where rust never sleeps.

:eek:

ExtraSlow
07-31-2013, 10:37 PM
Alternating heat and a good penetrating oil.

78si
07-31-2013, 10:40 PM
call zero limit auto

AE92_TreunoSC
07-31-2013, 10:40 PM
It's not the bolt thats seized, its the bushing on the bolt, its rare to get any loose that are from the 90's now.

When I worked on hondas we quoted LCA with bolts before it even was attempted.

I'd still try, it was very rare to see one come loose. I only really saw them come off on JDM imports.

djmr2
08-01-2013, 06:31 AM
Will try the penetrating oil and some propanebut I think its going to fail. The bolts probably fused to the sleeve in the bushing. It's a 95 Integra from Manitoba which also sat on a driveway for 5 years soaking up moisture. It's a real rust bucket.

I figure if PB fails, I will need to cut out the bolts using a recip saw and replace the bushing. Anyone can recommend a place to press out old bushings?

Modelexis
08-01-2013, 06:52 AM
When I was preparing to do my suspension I knew the LCA bolts would be a whore so I drove to Uwrench and impacted those hoes until they started to back out, then just impact them back on lightly and drive home.

This is the best way to preserve the bolt head and not put too much stress on the bolt.

I think they charged me about 5$, you don't need a hoist either, just jack the rear up a bit with a floor jack.