PDA

View Full Version : clubs in calgary

Hot_Wheelz
08-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Hey.. I'm getting a bit sick of cowboys and roadhouse are there any clubs in town that play electro house music or have a really good DJ that plays house music.. Don't know the night life here very well.. I got invited out to "vicous circle" but I dont know what that place is either ;S

thanks for any help..

tbomb
08-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Are you 12?

Hot_Wheelz
08-02-2013, 05:20 PM
:whocares:

:-/ are you 12? If you don't have a proper reply please keep your comments to yourself.

Zhariak
08-02-2013, 05:40 PM
I don't blame the OP...

For a city of 1.3 million people, we have a horrible nightlife... In the past 3 years it's evolved in to a beer-hall only (plus a couple cowboy bars) kinda city...

It's sad... Really sad...

Hot_Wheelz
08-02-2013, 05:41 PM
It really is and I'm away next weekend and I'm going to miss chasing summer >:( is there seriously no night club in calgary that does that.. is roadhouse the closest thing to it

Graham_A_M
08-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Calgary clubs are abysmal. Thats why I stopped going... :rolleyes:

I should ask a couple buddies, they would know... There are a few places in town that have what you're looking for, but their not the bigger clubs such as Roadhouse, or Cowboys (etc).

Hot_Wheelz
08-02-2013, 06:13 PM
They dont have to be huge. As long as they're somewhat populated with females I'd be happy lol I'm not much for picking up woment in the bar I just want to go and actually enjoy the music for once LOL

CompletelyNumb
08-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Patio at West used to be a good time...

JAYMEZ
08-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Just go to the Strippers downtown . Calgary clubs are the worse in Canada IMO..

Zhariak
08-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Hot_Wheelz
They dont have to be huge. As long as they're somewhat populated with females I'd be happy lol I'm not much for picking up woment in the bar I just want to go and actually enjoy the music for once LOL

Unfortunately Calgary females are covered in tattoos and love being packed like sardines in to dirty bars...

Canucks3322
08-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Is Habitat still around, haven't been to a bar in years but that place was great for house music and never seen any douchbaggery there...

lasimmon
08-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Habitat would work for you. West sucks.

300zxfairlday
08-02-2013, 10:15 PM
West patio is probably one of the best once right now. But clubs in calgary generally suck like it's already been mentioned

ddduke
08-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by 300zxfairlday
West patio is probably one of the best once right now. But clubs in calgary generally suck like it's already been mentioned

This isn't true, west was great last year when they were picky on who they let in and kept it more upscale.

This year they started letting all the somalian and brown guys in. The whole upstairs is browntown and the vibe is shit. Went way down hill.

DeleriousZ
08-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Zhariak

Unfortunately Calgary females are covered in tattoos and love being packed like sardines in to dirty bars...

What's wrong with girls with tattoo's?

What about that 10x place on 11th st and 10th ave? They seem to have interesting sounding headliners whenever I drive by there...

Hot_Wheelz
08-03-2013, 03:12 AM
Well our ride today started at roadhouse then later near midnight we went over to Vicious circle.. the DJ at VC was actually pretty entertaining tho the place was pretty empty minus the large group I was with.. Nothing beats good company right.. so it was pretty fun. Then as people trickled off we finished the night back at roadhouse. I'll have to check out the other two places you guys mentioned and see how they are.

Thanks for the great replies.

Zhariak
08-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

What's wrong with girls with tattoo's?

What about that 10x place on 11th st and 10th ave? They seem to have interesting sounding headliners whenever I drive by there...

Actually that place was a lot of fun from what I can remember last year, haven't been back since though.

And as for the girls with tats head to toe, not a fan.

Shunsui
08-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

This isn't true, west was great last year when they were picky on who they let in and kept it more upscale.

This year they started letting all the somalian and brown guys in. The whole upstairs is browntown and the vibe is shit. Went way down hill.
you forgot to add 'no racist'

psycoticclown
08-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Flames Central when they have shows, Black Betty sometimes has decent DJ's, TEN on Friday nights always gets some touring DJs, Habitat, OMFG Fridays at Republik is all EDM too.

Zhariak
08-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Wow shit...

Went out last night for the first time in forever.

Calgary has changed, this is disgusting...

riander5
08-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Wow shit...

poor lady:cry:

n1zm0
08-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Wow shit...

went to chasing summer (http://www.chasingsummerfestival.com/) last night, it was great, not an example of our weekly nightlife but it was something to do, do it all over again today too for its 2nd day

diamondedge
08-11-2013, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

went to chasing summer (http://www.chasingsummerfestival.com/) last night, it was great, not an example of our weekly nightlife but it was something to do, do it all over again today too for its 2nd day

QFT

dino_martini
08-11-2013, 10:19 AM

I was down there for both days. Volunteered Friday night and then Saturday morning. Stayed for Above & Beyond, I had a great time just people watching. I wonder how many people have super mashed jaws this morning :rofl:

Didn't go to the after party at Flames Central so I can't say what that was like.

n1zm0
08-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

I was down there for both days. Volunteered Friday night and then Saturday morning. Stayed for Above & Beyond, I had a great time just people watching. I wonder how many people have super mashed jaws this morning :rofl:

Didn't go to the after party at Flames Central so I can't say what that was like.

Yeah personally Tommy Trash and A&B were a+ for the whole weekend for me personally, Wolfgang I wish he pushed more but great weekend nonetheless, a friend ended up at flames central for Tiesto and she said it was pretty good, anyone catch him on the big screen runoff for a minute, the camera caught what he was clearly absent for :rofl: then cut away immediately.

Biggest plus though, this event really being the first of its kind for Calgary, the turn out was amazing, meaning it will happen again next year(hopefully) and that will be a great boost for these type of venues for our city, I noticed that we seem to get more attention for this stuff even more so than vancouver, which it's a good thing imo for the future.

Edit: also those cabanas were a joke, for 3500, absolutely ridiculous, my fiancées cousin was in one, cabanas in Vegas dj venues are only 500, the ones there were such a sham.

JordanAndrew
08-12-2013, 06:54 AM
Chasing Summer was pretty good! Now I can't wait until the next event! I kinda wish we had better clubs here in Calgary as well. Anyways, here's a clip I took from last weekend.

Tiesto's last 17 minutes of his set.

3-obmJlAZjE

dino_martini
08-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Edit: also those cabanas were a joke, for 3500, absolutely ridiculous, my fiancées cousin was in one, cabanas in Vegas dj venues are only 500, the ones there were such a sham.

Yeah when they mentioned the cabana's I emailed them and asked what it cost, just to see. $3500 is way too much for what you got. I didn't think the view was anything special from what I saw of the Cabana area. I mean its nice to have shade, a couch to chill out on, and a private bar. But that's way too much for all that.

I had never been to a outdoor show like that, but after getting into the vip area once I was done my volunteer shift, I'd spring for VIP at any event sent up like that at Fort Calgary. Really minimal line at the bar, no line for the washroom, shade from the trees, plus those Heineken chicks handing out the green sunglasses were pretty easy on the eyes as well. Good times.

I'm kind of thinking I might buy a ticket for Summers End.

Pacman
08-12-2013, 09:45 AM
The nightlife in Calgary has always been sub-par for a city this size.

Last time I went out, it was to the "no name" bar that was beside McDonalds on 17th Ave and 14th St. It burned to the ground a few years ago, which was unfortunate.

Chester
08-12-2013, 10:41 AM
"no name" is now "the pint", I think. Went a week ago, not bad.
But after being in Croatia a few weeks ago, it really sucks going out here. In Croatia, we would go out around 1:00 in the morning, head to Zrce beach, 5 clubs, no cover/dress code and the first drink is complimentary, party till 6 in the morning everyday :drool: . That seems to be the norm in Europe though.

dino_martini
08-12-2013, 03:19 PM
No-Name is still inbetween The Pint and Mcdonalds. The Pint is a completely new building they put up. No-Name is currently looking for a buyer. Listed as a 100 seat lounge.

Zhariak
08-12-2013, 05:20 PM
No-Name is still inbetween The Pint and Mcdonalds. The Pint is a completely new building they put up. No-Name is currently looking for a buyer. Listed as a 100 seat lounge.

Where can we find details on the sale?

dino_martini
08-12-2013, 10:14 PM

Where can we find details on the sale?

Last I saw it was listed with Lonnie Rodgers with CIR. But I cant find it on his site. The sign is still hanging in the front of No-Name. When I google street view, it shows the sign hanging on the west side of No-Name before they started building the pint. Supposedly 150 seats, so it says on the sign on google street view.

When I drive by tomorrow I'll see what the signs says, maybe its listed by someone different than whats showing on street view.

dino_martini
08-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Found it! Its not listed with CIR anymore. Listed with "Barry Commercial" here is the link:

http://www.barrycommercial.com/sale/retail/item/1-1424-17th-avenue-sw

Listed for a cool 2.199 million dollars.

89coupe
08-13-2013, 10:48 AM
Seems like any good club that opens in Calgary attracts the thugs and low life's who eventually ruin it for the rest of the people looking to have a good time and eventually it shuts down because of constant trouble and lack of business.

Zhariak
08-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Found it! Its not listed with CIR anymore. Listed with "Barry Commercial" here is the link:

http://www.barrycommercial.com/sale/retail/item/1-1424-17th-avenue-sw

Listed for a cool 2.199 million dollars.

Holy fack, is that space actually worth that much?

dino_martini
08-13-2013, 01:06 PM

Holy fack, is that space actually worth that much?

I don't know what the asking price was with CIR before The Pint went up. All I can say is that "No-Name" is essentially sandwiched between The Pint and 1410. Two places with roof top patios...and the pint has self dispensing beer which is pretty freaking cool too.

I don't think its worth anything close to 2.2 mill. But I'm not a real estate expert, so others may have differing opinions. While I was searching around last night, I'm not 100% certain, but it seems like Loco Lou's up by Sait is looking for new owners. And Ed's down by Stampede Park is looking for someone to take over there.

Getting back on topic though, I did like Habitat last time I was there, though its a smaller place and by time I was there the ATM was out of cash. I'd also say, if you like Electronic music, to go check out Republik on Friday nights.I've never been to Ten, but its sponsored by Boodang among others, so they usually have some sort of electro beat going on Fridays. They also do $4 lucky beer, which isn't too bad when you're out at the club.

TheCheff
08-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Habitat, commonwealth and Hifi are generally alot of fun.

genesis0403
08-13-2013, 02:11 PM
I tried going to Roadhouse like 4 times until I got pissed off. It seems everytime I go they keep trying to think of new excuses. One time they were asking for 2 government issued photo IDs..... Who carries 2 government issued photo IDs.... Another time they rejected me for wearing chino camos. I don't know if it was cause me and my buddies were the only asians going in or something but it pissed me off

ercchry
08-13-2013, 02:14 PM

I don't think its worth anything close to 2.2 mill. But I'm not a real estate expert, so others may have differing opinions.

economics say, if it hasnt sold. its clearly not worth it :rofl:

dino_martini
08-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

economics say, if it hasnt sold. its clearly not worth it :rofl:

That's true. Its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. There is a vacant lot near my house I'd rather buy and put a dirty burger on than pay 2.2 for No-Name. As cool as it would be to have your "own" club lounge thing

KappaSigma
08-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

Ding ding ding....use to be the closet thing to Calgary had as a Vegas style club...now its just lame due to the crowd.