PDA

View Full Version : laptop help

chong_wallace
02-22-2004, 11:11 PM
My battery on my notebook is fully charged, it's a lithium ion battery so it shouldn't have a recharge memory state.

But for some reason, even when my battery meter is near full. My computer will just shut down after about 15 minutes. Is my battery gone, or is this happening because my computer is using up all the system resources, overheating then shutting down?

I just find this weird because the computer doesn't hibernate, it just shuts down.

Davetronz
02-23-2004, 01:45 AM
Does it only do it on battery?
Try removing the battery and running only on AC and see if it does it.

Most likely a setting for power management that is telling your comp to go into hibernate or sleep or power down.

It might also be doing the overheat thing, so make sure its not getting excessively hot.

chong_wallace
02-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by FastDak318
Does it only do it on battery?
Try removing the battery and running only on AC and see if it does it.

Most likely a setting for power management that is telling your comp to go into hibernate or sleep or power down.

It might also be doing the overheat thing, so make sure its not getting excessively hot.

i will try running it on ac only

and if it is the power management settings, where and what should i change it to?

as for overheating...when it runs lots of processes at once it seemes to want to shut down, how can i prevent it from overheating?

t3rry
02-23-2004, 10:36 AM
the power mamnagement is in control panel... but that probably is not your problem... it could be a bad connection with your battery, try ceaning the connections with an eraser.. i have had that problem before

sleeper
02-23-2004, 10:57 AM
I have the same problem. Some laptop batterys are just shit. You should always remove them if your never us it. And only plug it in when U will need it.

chong_wallace
02-23-2004, 01:31 PM
yeah good call, i don't know what's wrong with my battery, i guess i'll take an eraser to it now.

so i just take an eraser to the contact points of the battery? that sounds weird but i'll give it a shot:thumbsup:

any other advice?

luminous
02-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Yes you can take an eraser to the contact points.

Other advice? Consult technical support from the company that you bought it from .. or buy a new battery.

nosegrindR
02-24-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by luminous
Yes you can take an eraser to the contact points.

Other advice? Consult technical support from the company that you bought it from .. or buy a new battery.

never knew, hmm i'll try that with mine too

polaris
02-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Chances are cleaning the copper oxide from the contact points wont do anything. Whats happening is your battery is just old, LI ion batteries dont what people call "memory effect", but all rechargable batteries age and can only go through a certain amount of recharge cycles. Like 300-500 full charges or like 2000 partial ones.

Davetronz
02-26-2004, 12:44 AM
There is a company that we used to send laptop batteries to for re-conditioning when I worked retail.

Let me try to remember who it was. They are local.

D'z Nutz
02-26-2004, 12:52 AM
If you remember who it was, post it, cause if the price is good, I may just get mine reconditioned as well, rather than getting a new one.

el_fefes
02-27-2004, 11:45 AM
RadioShack will do that, they will rebuild the battery...i work there, i think it's cheaper than getting a new one, and there's a warranty on the rebuild so you won't be screwed.:thumbsup:

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/content/batteryrebuild.aspx?language=en-CA

D'z Nutz
02-27-2004, 07:41 PM
How much does it cost about?

el_fefes
02-28-2004, 01:15 AM
i gotta check...i'll post price

nosegrindR
02-29-2004, 07:08 PM
would this restore the battery to 100%? or is it just a temporary fix?

el_fefes
02-29-2004, 07:35 PM
100% sometimes the cells they use are better than the old ones, i'll check for price tomorrow

Davetronz
02-29-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by nosegrindR
would this restore the battery to 100%? or is it just a temporary fix?
It would be like having a new battery, but nothing is to say that it wont develop a memory again...

Ps, sorry guys, cant for the life of me remember that company. And I know that we werent sending stuff to Radio Shack. Give them a try and let me know how it goes. I have to get my girlfriends laptop battery reconditioned.

nosegrindR
02-29-2004, 10:17 PM
yeah i'll be going there on monday, mainly because of the environment, :rofl:

nosegrindR
03-02-2004, 03:06 PM
rip off
i tried calling them today to get it re-built
4-cell LIon battery for a laptop

I'm going for ebay, fuck those fuckers, fuck the environment.

D'z Nutz
03-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Holy shit, for that price, I can buy 2 laptop batteries off ebay and have change over! I figured it would've been like half the price of a new battery.

nosegrindR
03-03-2004, 01:21 PM
yeah that's what i thought too, it's hard to support the environment if it's so damn expensive, haha