PDA

View Full Version : Power Engineer Oil & Gas help

Nutrino
08-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Hello Everyone,
I am a new member of this forum and would just like to mention how nice it is to have a forum like this with so much information and feedback relevant to our careers.

I was hoping someone could give me some advice, I am currently a 3rd class power engineer in Manitoba and have about 3 years of experience in my role as a shift/maintenance engineer. I am looking for a change of pace, and a much more challenging career in the oil and gas industry, my only problem is I have been applying for almost a year and never seem to get any response. I am willing to relocate or live in a camp, and want to start working on my 2nd class.

How hard is it to get a job when you have no relevant oil/gas experience? Is there any headhunters that can assist in finding a job or do you just have to keep making online profiles on the company's websites and wait for a response. I am to ambitious to sit and wait, is there any contacts for people you can get in touch with?

I am young, hardworking, and a fast learner. I am very mechanically inclined, I dont know how much they expect from a power engineer, but I also do millwright work (welding,fabricating,installing,electrical...etc)

Thanks in advance for listening to my rant, any advice you guys have to help me out would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

IggyB
08-04-2013, 07:56 AM
You should apply to NOVA in Joffre, Ab. :thumbsup:

Redlined_8000
08-04-2013, 11:28 AM
It shouldn't be to hard to get a job. You said you have been applying for a year or so? What company's did you apply to?
Also are you thinking of moving to Alberta? Or do you want fly in fly out to Manitoba?

Nutrino
08-04-2013, 12:58 PM
I have applied to Suncor, CNRL, Imperial Oil, Connoco Phillips, Devon, Husky.. etc. Mind you that in the job description they are always looking for operators with experience. I heard that the screening process is pretty tight, and unless you have your 2nd, have experience in oil/gas, or know someone its almost impossible.
I would be willing to relocate to Alberta if the job was very promising, but if there is an option for fly-in fly-out I would take it in a heart beat. Also if they offer shifts like 7-7 or 14-14 I could even commute back and forth, regardless I would make my way to work either way.

crach
08-04-2013, 11:52 PM
what exerpience do u have i work at cnrl horizon we are lookign now for people

Nutrino
08-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the response, I have experience working in a food processing plant which is a 3rd class steam plant and also an ammonia refrigeration plant. I maintain the boiler/engine room, and do maintenance on the production equipment. I am capabable of troubleshooting and repairing both electrical and mechanical issues. I also do lots of welding and fabricating.

dubhead
08-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Enbridge is pretty much always looking for more Control Center Operators. The rotation is basically a 5 on 5 off and its in Edmonton so you get to go home to your own bed every night.

Edit: Feel free to PM if you want to know more

Nutrino
08-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks to everyone that pm me more info, just waiting to hear back from a few.