PDA

View Full Version : Car Rental for US Road Trip

artieg30
08-04-2013, 02:29 PM
hey guys, not sure where to put this one but here goes. I'm doing a road trip at the end of this month and I'll be planning on driving from here to Kelowna, then to Vancouver, then to Seattle for a few days.

I already called ahead to a couple of car rental companies and it seems like they'll allow me to take the car in to the states no problem, however i'm going to get bent over on mileage as they'll only give me 200km/ a day and anything over that will be $0.20/km.

Is there anywhere that will let me rent a car that will allow me to go to the states with it, and give me some sort of unlimited mileage deal?

Thanks guys!

bourge73
08-04-2013, 03:25 PM
No such thing as unlimited mileage in Canada. They would loose their shirts with it here. They are in it to make money on the cars with the least amount of mileage as possible on them when they end up flipping the cars after rental service. They put those km restrictions to protect themselves from well guys like you LOL.

You can find rental places in the States that offer unlimited K's but that will usually have a strict "stay within the State policy"

You should be able to work some free mileage if say you took it a week more, as the allowances should be better. (than say just the daily rate)

bart
08-04-2013, 03:43 PM
ummm if you go on expedia and look for rentals they all come up unlimited mileage... (standard cars, minivans) i have gotten them before unlimited miles.

suvs, trucks and luxury cars have limits

i've rented here and in europe before, put on over 10k in 2-3 weeks haha they sell the cars before it hits 30k

01RedDX
08-04-2013, 03:48 PM

artieg30
08-04-2013, 04:06 PM
thanks guys, I realize that a lot of the rental companies have unlimited mileage for "in-province" rentals, when you guys rented the car here did you have to tell them in advance that you were going out of province or did you simply not tell them??

Also will I need some sort of documentation saying i'm allowed to take the car out of the country etc. from the renter when I go through border crossing?

01RedDX
08-04-2013, 04:18 PM

spikerS
08-04-2013, 05:16 PM
I rented from enterprise and told them I was taking it to BC. They told me the unlimited mileage was not in effect for BC, only in AB.

worked out a deal with em. paid an extra $10 a day, and got unlimited back for everywhere.

benyl
08-04-2013, 05:38 PM
National rent a car is the only company that lets you go over the border with unlimited miles.

Speed_69
08-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by benyl
National rent a car is the only company that lets you go over the border with unlimited miles.
I rented a vehicle last year from Hertz to go to Oregon, Washington & BC and I got unlimited mileage.

01RedDX
08-04-2013, 06:38 PM

benyl
08-04-2013, 08:46 PM
I called Avis. They said the only state you can take their car into is Washington.

Hertz is more expensive, you can:
http://www.hertz.ca/rentacar/reservation/reviewmodifycancel/templates/rentalTerms.jsp?KEYWORD=RESTRICTIONS&EOAG=YYCT11

eblend
08-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Rented from Enterprise in Vancouver airport and drove to Seattle no problem. They even asked if I was going to the USA, I said yes and they just put that on record. Was unlimited KMs and I put almost 2k on the car at like $20 per day. Don't remember, think I used experia to book.

01RedDX
08-04-2013, 09:09 PM