PDA

View Full Version : LF: Ford Technician

Maxx Mazda
08-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Just bought a brand new F-150 FX4. Looking for a Ford tech who can go into the PCM and disable my daytime running lights.

Yes, disabling DRL's is LEGAL in Canada, and I don't want to hear the merits of having them. I have disabled them on all my vehicles. Post here or PM me if you're able to help me out. Thanks!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Rat Fink is a Ford tech is he not?

rage2
08-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
Yes, disabling DRL's is LEGAL in Canada, and I don't want to hear the merits of having them. I have disabled them on all my vehicles. Post here or PM me if you're able to help me out. Thanks!
Disabling DRL's is definately not legal in Alberta. Some of the other provinces might not have DRL in it's equipment laws, but in Alberta, we do.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_122.pdf

43 If a motor vehicle is equipped with daytime running lamps installed by the manufacturer of the motor vehicle, the daytime running lamps must be maintained in good working order and to the manufacturer’s specifications.
I got pulled over and warned about not having DRLs on my BS. Mercedes inadvertently left them off on the Canadian spec cars, and the workaround to turn them on doesn't work. Still have no DRLs, waiting to get pulled over again.

spikerS
08-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Disabling DRL's is definately not legal in Alberta. Some of the other provinces might not have DRL in it's equipment laws, but in Alberta, we do.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_122.pdf

I was just coming to post that.

RickDaTuner
08-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Only way to do it is with the American as-built data from the US to reprogram the BCM, but you'll need to contact ford to get that.

Unless you can find some one with all the lines of programming for your trucks build and options.

It's far easier to add DRLs than the other way around.

Maxx Mazda
08-06-2013, 11:40 AM
I thought it was illegal to sell a vehicle in Alberta without DRL's, but last time I checked it was not illegal to remove them from your own vehicle. Looks as though this has since changed.

That being said, however, I don't really care. I would still like to disable them, tickets be damned.

Rick, do you have any more information regarding this process? Everything I've been able to find is not definitive.

RickDaTuner
08-06-2013, 12:49 PM
The definitive answer is...

You need a Ford IDS, this unit costs $3k alone
You need acces to inford.com you must be a technician for ford, or have a special agreement with ford.
You need to contact ford tech support, again your need a ford tech ID and be registered with a ford dealership.
You need due reason to be switching the BCM code from a Canadian one to the US, wanting to do it is not sufficient cause. Even when you import a us Veh to Canada they give you grief for doing it.
Once you have all that you'll need a code to wipe the BCM and program it with the new parameters.

You can get the as built data from the same year, same model, same option truck from a us counterpart, but with out the special progrming code, it doesn't matter what you try the BCM will reject it because the checksum won't match for the coresponding vin. Ford has to change this on the central computer system, otherwise anytime you do a ECU update it will revert back to having DRLs.

As a consumer this cannot be done with out custom hardware interface and software.

If you really want to do this then get a us dealer to preprogram a BCM and then ship it out to you, but then you'll have to take it to your local dealer and have the key fobs re-programmed, along with a variety of different things, at the risk of them re-programming the BCM back to the Canadian spec

Maxx Mazda
08-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
The definitive answer is...

You need a Ford IDS, this unit costs $3k alone
You need acces to inford.com you must be a technician for ford, or have a special agreement with ford.
You need to contact ford tech support, again your need a ford tech ID and be registered with a ford dealership.
You need due reason to be switching the BCM code from a Canadian one to the US, wanting to do it is not sufficient cause. Even when you import a us Veh to Canada they give you grief for doing it.
Once you have all that you'll need a code to wipe the BCM and program it with the new parameters.

You can get the as built data from the same year, same model, same option truck from a us counterpart, but with out the special progrming code, it doesn't matter what you try the BCM will reject it because the checksum won't match for the coresponding vin. Ford has to change this on the central computer system, otherwise anytime you do a ECU update it will revert back to having DRLs.

As a consumer this cannot be done with out custom hardware interface and software.

If you really want to do this then get a us dealer to preprogram a BCM and then ship it out to you, but then you'll have to take it to your local dealer and have the key fobs re-programmed, along with a variety of different things, at the risk of them re-programming the BCM back to the Canadian spec

Thanks for the information. To your knowledge, is there any sort of hardware workaround? I know on the new trucks, everything is integrated, (hence why its no longer as simple as pulling a relay.)

As a side note, my truck is an FX4, but just a base FX4 with halogen headlights. The ones with the appearance package had the HID's and therefore the DRL's were integrated into the signal lamps. Is there any kind of workaround that would allow me to use the signal lamps instead of the headlights? You really seem to know your stuff.

RickDaTuner
08-07-2013, 10:25 AM
I was ford factory trained through the Ford ASSET program.

Only work around I can think of is disconnecting the factory wiring at the headlights for the low beams and installing another switch. This way high beams will still function.

The factory headlight switch will not handle any current, and sends a signal to the BCM based on resistance values.

You can try telling a dealer your moving to the US and get them to program your cluster and temp readings to Fahrenheit, IIRC you can switch the cluster and temp back to metric from the DIC.

Maxx Mazda
08-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Thank you Rick for all the information. You have been very informative.

Maxx Mazda
08-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Bump an old thread... I did some more research and apparently on a Canadian truck, there is still a setting in the "personality" section of the Ford IDS (whatever the programmer is called) that will allow the DRL's to be enabled or disabled, as it was an option on Canadian fleet vehicles. Can anyone provide any info to this effect? Rick, if you'd be interested in even trying (regardless of whether or not it actually works) shoot me a PM and I can compensate you for your time. On the ford truck forums there is lots of interest in this, and I'd like to put the issue to bed once and for all.

RickDaTuner
08-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Yup,

Your are right, there is even an option for allowing the truck to be placed in police more, which doesn't allow any lights on, unless they are commanded

The information I posted prior was for older builds, since then I have looked into this and opened up my eyes to the new protocols. You can pretty much disergard all that.

Maxx Mazda
08-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Good news. Is there a way to "change" the DRL's to the turn signals? Like I posted earlier, my FX4 is a non-HID version, but wouldn't mind the amber DRL's. Just hate having the headlights on.

In police mode, will the auto lamps feature still work?

Maxx Mazda
08-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Another question, do you know how to enter diagnostic mode on the radio? I've done it on the cluster by holding OK when I turn the key on, but last time I washed my truck the radio went into diagnostic mode (I have the 4" screen) and I have no idea what I did to get it to do that.

ShermanEF9
08-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Hold the eject and fast forward button iirc

revelations
08-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
I have disabled them on all my vehicles. Post here or PM me if you're able to help me out. Thanks!

Just curious as to why? I've disabled my DRLs but thats because I now run integrated daytime LEDs in my new headlight housings.

Headlights on during the day are proven to reduce accidents :dunno:

Maxx Mazda
08-03-2014, 06:39 AM
Hate DRL's that's why. If its cloudy or whatever ill run with just the fogs / parking lights on.

ianmcc
08-03-2014, 08:29 AM
Can't understand why the hate for DRL since you can't see your own while driving.

Alak
08-05-2014, 08:10 PM
In my Super Duty it was just a relay you pull for each side. I wish it was that easy on the new cars.

parabs
08-30-2015, 05:46 PM
Yup,

Your are right, there is even an option for allowing the truck to be placed in police more, which doesn't allow any lights on, unless they are commanded

The information I posted prior was for older builds, since then I have looked into this and opened up my eyes to the new protocols. You can pretty much disergard all that.

Hey Rick,

Can a 2014 F350 be reprogrammed to have all the lights on when the truck is turned on?

Thx

RickDaTuner
08-30-2015, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by parabs

Hey Rick,

Can a 2014 F350 be reprogrammed to have all the lights on when the truck is turned on?

Thx

As in, the driving lights?

Thats just a matter of leaving the light switch in the 'on' position. Even the auto position will turn on the marker lamps and then the head lights when it gets dark out.

I don't recall there being an option for that.

parabs
08-31-2015, 04:59 AM
Sorry, I wasnt very clear.

I would like to change my the setting for my DRL to have the lights turn on as if it was in the "on" position. On some jobsites it is the clients rule to have them on all the time and I easily forget that simple detail.

If turning all the lights "on" as my DRL isnt an option, what are the options?

RickDaTuner
08-31-2015, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by parabs
Sorry, I wasnt very clear.

I would like to change my the setting for my DRL to have the lights turn on as if it was in the "on" position. On some jobsites it is the clients rule to have them on all the time and I easily forget that simple detail.

If turning all the lights "on" as my DRL isnt an option, what are the options?

I think leaving the light switch on permanently is a simple solution. The lights will turn off on their own when the vehicle is turned off and the doors are locked, so there is no need to worry about a dead battery.

All newer Fords have Battery Monitoring sensors that will cut all power
to the vehicles accessories in order to prevent a no start condition.

parabs
10-30-2015, 10:00 AM

I think leaving the light switch on permanently is a simple solution. The lights will turn off on their own when the vehicle is turned off and the doors are locked, so there is no need to worry about a dead battery.

All newer Fords have Battery Monitoring sensors that will cut all power
to the vehicles accessories in order to prevent a no start condition.

I appreciate that solution, however , rather change the programming. I that possible on my truck?

Maxx Mazda
12-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Update here guys. I did some more research online, and was able to have a friend at Ford in Camrose hook up the IDS and poke around. Under configurable options, there was a section for the headlights. While hooked up to a 2013 XLT with standard halogen lights, there were options under DRL control to disable them completely, OR convert them to the HID style amber running lights instead.

So, I'll ask again, because I'd rather not drive up to Camrose, if there are any Ford technicians in town who wouldn't mind trading 15 minutes of their time for a case of beer to try it out on my 2013? While in there wouldn't mind resetting the TPMS reference pressure as well. Rick, would you be interested? :dunno: