PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Direct Energy "door to door".

Toma
08-07-2013, 02:28 PM
What's the deal with these pushy assholes. Two visits now from them, asking me what colour my bill is, pink or blue, and "It's been 4 years, you haven't switched yet". blah blah.

And I'm holding 2 dogs back while this chick is giving me shit for not swithcing bill colurs, pushy and shit, then she leaves my gate open as she leaves.

WTF. :dunno:

DENZILDON
08-07-2013, 02:31 PM
You'll be seeing a lot of retailers going around residential areas as they would take advantage of the news that electricity jumped up to 11 cents.

Just a warning to everyone, Enmax doesn't have residential door to door agents in Calgary. If someone knocks on your door claiming to be one, you can call their bluff or tell them they will be reported to the UCA.

-relk-
08-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Saw a blurb on the news last week about this, they are trying to get people on their contracts. Screw em if you ask me, and don't answer the door if you know its them next time :dunno:

Kloubek
08-07-2013, 02:34 PM
They're horrible. The one who convinced me to sign up was very slick and used a lot of tactics I'm embarassed to admit I actually fell for.

When I moved I actually paid to get out of my contract and moved to Enmax. One of the best decisions ever.

Disoblige
08-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Was she hot? :rofl:

Toma
08-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Well, I just called Direct Energy Regulated Service (number on my bill), and they said "Direct Energy" is the retail non regulated portion and has nothing to do with them, an did I sign, I would be siwthcing companies??

WTF!

And the bitch at the door said because I've been a customer so long, they want to reward me, so I need to switch to the blue bill.

I just called the Alebrta Energy Commission complaint line and left a message (780-427-4901).

Wanna know what's going on, and why 2 different companies have the same name, and why they can lie to me.

A790
08-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Last year a DE guy came to my door and when I said not interested and tried to close it he put his arm out and stopped the door from closing and said something along the lines of "you don't realize what kind of deal I'm offering here..."

I calmly told him to remove himself from my front porch before I get my airsoft shotgun out for some target practice.

Asshole.

Xtrema
08-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Just stay with Enmax. Until City of Calgary gives up on Enmax, I won't switch to anyone else.

Toma
08-07-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm not interested in switching. I am pissed of at the aggression and lies.

DENZILDON
08-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Well, I just called Direct Energy Regulated Service (number on my bill), and they said "Direct Energy" is the retail non regulated portion and has nothing to do with them, an did I sign, I would be siwthcing companies??

WTF!

And the bitch at the door said because I've been a customer so long, they want to reward me, so I need to switch to the blue bill.

I just called the Alebrta Energy Commission complaint line and left a message (780-427-4901).

Wanna know what's going on, and why 2 different companies have the same name, and why they can lie to me.

Funny how they say that, there's direct energy regulated services which is the default elec and gas and direct energy essential services which is their contract side. But it is still "Direct energy".

spikerS
08-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by A790
Last year a DE guy came to my door and when I said not interested and tried to close it he put his arm out and stopped the door from closing and said something along the lines of "you don't realize what kind of deal I'm offering here..."

I calmly told him to remove himself from my front porch before I get my airsoft shotgun out for some target practice.

Asshole.

Guy did the same thing to me.

My reply was "You have no idea how much restraint I am showing by not making you sneeze out your teeth."

I have never seen someone turn so pale so fast.

Toma
08-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Ok, so the Alberta Energy Commission or whatever is useless. They only deal with regulated services.

Need to call "Utilities Consumer Advocate" 310-4822

ga16i
08-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by A790

haha, wow sounds like Grendel needed some loving from the teeth in the darkness, the talons in the night... luckily for me, I've actually never encountered someone trying to sell me utilities at all, just crap in the mail.

Kloubek
08-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Need to call "Utilities Consumer Advocate" 310-4822

Tried that - explaining the guy from direct energy was passing himself off as a city employee, and literally walked into my foyer without being invited.

They did nothing.

403ep3
08-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Apparently, from what I read on CP, you don't want to show them your bill because they will sign you up w/o you knowing.

Word to the wise: tell them to eff off

Xtrema
08-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by ga16i

haha, wow sounds like Grendel needed some loving from the teeth in the darkness, the talons in the night... luckily for me, I've actually never encountered someone trying to sell me utilities at all, just crap in the mail.

I think d2d people only goes after high density neighborhoods now. I have never see any of these people any more. Hamptons in general is 30% less dense than new hoods due to wider lots.

LOLzilla
08-07-2013, 03:56 PM
There is a cooling off period I thought. If you caught it within X amount of days you can back out.

Toma
08-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Yeah, on my facebook, a friend said when he shut the door, the dude actually stuck his foot in to keep it open.

These incidence are painting a picture of company policy rather than simple "over zealous" sales people.

dexlargo
08-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Haven't we had like ten thousand threads about this selling practice already?

From what I recall, Direct Energy doesn't send their own employees door-to-door, they pay commissions to fly-by-night companies for each contract that they sell. In that scenario, you get people who go out on these door-to-door campaigns doing whatever they can to get you to sign. They will lie, beg, cheat and steal their way into getting paid for signing you up.

Now you know.

Toma
08-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by dexlargo

From what I recall, Direct Energy doesn't send their own employees door-to-door, they pay commissions to fly-by-night companies for each contract that they sell. In that scenario, you get people who go out on these door-to-door campaigns doing whatever they can to get you to sign. They will lie, beg, cheat and steal their way into getting paid for signing you up.

Now you know.

Have we?? Hell, despite appearance, I don't read every thread lol

So we find the marketing company, send in an army of peanut butter laden rats with stop watches on them?? :thumbsup:

DENZILDON
08-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Tried that - explaining the guy from direct energy was passing himself off as a city employee, and literally walked into my foyer without being invited.

They did nothing.

Not really, it's actually reported to the company in question and they have to investigate and reply to the UCA.

Toma
08-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Emailed everyone I could think of, this is the reply from the BBB. Sounds like a start.

-------------------------------------------------
Good afternoon Toma,

I am sorry to hear of your negative experience with this business. The deregulation of the utilities market allowed for companies to sell at fixed and variable rates. The companies do operate independently of each other as they represent different branches of utility contracts. I would suggest visiting the Utilities Advocate website for more information regarding this: http://www.ucahelps.alberta.ca/

If you would like, we can take your complaint as an information only which allows you to report the negative experience. A copy of your correspondence would also be sent to the business' head office for potential comments and follow up. Please let me know if you would like to proceed with this or if you have further questions.

dexlargo
08-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by LOLzilla
There is a cooling off period I thought. If you caught it within X amount of days you can back out. Yeah, 10 days if I recall correctly. It's a requirement of the Fair Trading Act for Direct Sales, which is the Fair Trading Act's term to describe door-to-door or unsolicited telephone sales.

Direct Sellers have to post a bond to be licensed to do this type of thing, I think it's $50,000.00, but maybe that's the prepaid contracting bond.

Emailed everyone I could think of, this is the reply from the BBB. Sounds like a start.
[snip] You could also contact Service Alberta - they have investigators who enforce Fair Trading Act violations, although re-reading your OP, it doesn't sound like they did anything too bad. I think I was getting some of the other stories mixed up with yours.

Kloubek
08-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by DENZILDON

Not really, it's actually reported to the company in question and they have to investigate and reply to the UCA.

Sorry - I should have clarified. It *was* investigated, but after the cooling off period, they isn't really anything they were able to do. Regretably, I signed the contract and then left for a week to BC so I was pretty much unable to review things on my own time.

Live and learn.

JudasJimmy
08-07-2013, 04:36 PM
I hate direct energy. I was 2 months short on a 5yr contract and they still made me pay an early cancellation fee. They are nothing but assholes. It's the perfect ammunition for the next DE sales person to knock at my door. I can barley wait, I'm going to unload on him/her big time. :guns:

Stewjoe
08-07-2013, 05:23 PM
I work as a power utility worker, it's kinda funny when people slam the door in my face because they think I am a salesman. You should see the look on their face when the power goes off :bigpimp:

revelations
08-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Thanks for this, now I know to be an ass right away to any DE person on my property :rofl:

Canucks3322
08-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Other than long term contracting whats so bad?...Im paying 8.9 cents with Easymax...:dunno:

Toma
08-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Other than long term contracting whats so bad?...Im paying 8.9 cents with Easymax...:dunno:
What's that? Electric or gas?

My gas bill is 4.38 per gj.
Electric was .077 last month. 0.113 this month.

Its how I like my mortgages. Open and variable rate. Lol.

Nitro5
08-07-2013, 05:58 PM
I had one of these DE salesmen come by a few years ago. He was pitching me and I asked to see the brochure for the deal so I could talk it over with my wife. He told me that I can't see it until I sign up. :nut:

Needless to say I didn't switch from Enmax with that brilliant sales strategy.

Star1995
08-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
Apparently, from what I read on CP, you don't want to show them your bill because they will sign you up w/o you knowing.

Word to the wise: tell them to eff off

This is correct. My g friend showed them my bill once while I was away and they signed me up and even signed my name on the contract, they did so by not pressing too hard so it was very difficult to see on my copy. Lucky for me I called them the next day and had the contract cancelled. Just Google Direct Energy scam.

Stay away from these crooks.

bignerd
08-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Exactly, if they have to be so shady with their sign-up strategy you know something is up. My bill is my own damn business, certainly not going to pull it out for someone bothering me at my door.

AE92_TreunoSC
08-07-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm super fucking rude to them haha.

I have a glass door, my favorite is when they see me spot them and wave goodbye without answering the door :D

AndyL
08-07-2013, 06:46 PM
We had some real winners canvassing out here...

Cut across my lawn the part flagged off - with freshly seeded grass, sure thats awesome; ignoring the "please knock sleeping baby" sign was better - that'll get my wife to listen better - when the baby's screaming in the background... then yelling and screaming at me while I'm in the garage with a cnc router running; earplugs in and welding... because you pissed my wife off enough to get a door slammed in your face...

I was strongly considering opening the breezeway doors and seeing what my puppies thought of the pair of em...

Yes; being rude, damaging property, waking babies, interrupting someone obviously working, because you pissed off their spouse first- best way to get business...

Alberta should seriously ban any form of door to door sales...

Cos
08-07-2013, 07:01 PM

ZenOps
08-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Dunno. I'm liking 8.0 cents per kwh from Enmax (but of course, I went to them to get it)

At least its not Hawaii, which is around 39 to 42 cents (US) per kwh nowadays. Air conditioning is right up there with rent.

SKR
08-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by dexlargo

Now you know.

Does Vivint do that too? I had that happen with a Vivint guy about a month ago. A real relentless asshole.

codetrap
08-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

Alberta should seriously ban any form of door to door sales... "I'm sorry officer, I was working on my bear traps when this idiot came into my garage. How was I to know he would ignore the "Danger: concealed bear traps" sign?

Maybelater
08-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Yeah, on my facebook, a friend said when he shut the door, the dude actually stuck his foot in to keep it open.

I wonder if any of them got their feet broken by doing this.

Honestly these DE people are the worst. I remember them coming to my parents place all the time when I was a teenager, I'd just tell them nobody was home but they would still ask a bunch of annoying questions about when they would be home, who provides them utilities etc.

rc2002
08-08-2013, 06:59 PM
They flat out lie to get you to switch. They promised the same or lower prices on the gas bills but my gas bill actually doubled. I was with the blue bills for a month and switched right back. Lesson learned.

Maybe DE is not aware of or doesn't care about the shady tactics used to get new customers but they'll find out when they lose all of their customers.

LAFNGAS
08-08-2013, 10:17 PM
hey so i wasnt aware of this crap and feel like a retard as i didnt know why my bills changed color, thought maybe they just did something in house so to speak.

how does one go about getting off of this blue bill direct energy bullshit?

revelations
08-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by LAFNGAS
hey so i wasnt aware of this crap and feel like a retard as i didnt know why my bills changed color, thought maybe they just did something in house so to speak.

how does one go about getting off of this blue bill direct energy bullshit?

Read the contract, chances are youre locked in. 10 day cooling off period after signing though.

LAFNGAS
08-09-2013, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by revelations

Read the contract, chances are youre locked in. 10 day cooling off period after signing though.

emailed them as im currently away at work. i know for sure im passed the cooling off period as this was forever ago but didnt think anything of it honestly, never changed banking info or anything and the papers just changed colors but until now i thought it was just something they did in house.

not sure how the hell they couldve changed without myself signing up for anything though:dunno:

Star1995
08-09-2013, 05:46 AM
I received an e-mail from Enmax telling me they are switching me to my default provider and if I wanted to stay with Enmax I needed to call them. I replied to the e-mail and asked who my default provider was and they told me it was Direct Energy (Google Direct Energy scam). Hell no! I called Enmax and put a stop to that one.
Just another sneaky move by those crooks to gain customers.

DENZILDON
08-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Star1995
I received an e-mail from Enmax telling me they are switching me to my default provider and if I wanted to stay with Enmax I needed to call them. I replied to the e-mail and asked who my default provider was and they told me it was Direct Energy (Google Direct Energy scam). Hell no! I called Enmax and put a stop to that one.
Just another sneaky move by those crooks to gain customers.

Nope, your just in one of the grandfathered rates that is ending already thus the email from Enmax. The t/c on that old agreement means Enmax can't switch you automatically to any other rates and if you don't choose it goes back to Direct Energy.

But since you already called Enmax your good to go.

shadowz
08-10-2013, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
They flat out lie to get you to switch. They promised the same or lower prices on the gas bills but my gas bill actually doubled. I was with the blue bills for a month and switched right back. Lesson learned.

Maybe DE is not aware of or doesn't care about the shady tactics used to get new customers but they'll find out when they lose all of their customers.

The gf signed up with what she said was an annoying asshole at the door, next bill doubled as well these guys need to get fucked

BokCh0y
08-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Same thing happened to me. I was naive, let the asshole into my house. He said the monthly bill would be the same or cheaper and DE was blah blah and I signed a contract. After the first month the bill was double, I shit a brick and my wife almost murdered me. We called to cancel I think 1-2 no the in and had to pay out a penalty. This was easily like 7-8 years ago I think, so the cancelation was $100 or something like that, can't remember, but it was worth it to get out. They are ruthless. This was all when I was in Edgemont.

I've seen them a shit load more around my block now as well, but saw some other company that came around doing the same thing. Asked me if my bull was pink or blue, said theyre from "just/jist energy" or something like that, was offering a green bill and something about taking advantage of green energy savings??? I told them to leave.

Edit - here is the new company that came around http://www.justenergy.com. dunno what they are about, maybe better than enmax and DE, but I didn't give them a chance at all. Same tactics as DE.

Sugarphreak
08-10-2013, 09:21 AM

sr20s14zenki
08-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Thats wierd...im on the blue bill, but mine was an actual direct energy rep that signed me...and it was no contract, etc.... it was just to save admin fees. Bills never went up.

At any rate, i just got on a 3 year contract with DE, so i get 8.6 cents/kwh and i think 4.99 per Gj. The good thing about it, is that i can cancel the contract with 1 month notice, and no cancellation fees (have the contract that they sent out for me to read)

Correction, 5.99 per GJ winter CAP, which i believe means i will still get charged floating rate BELOW 5.99 but will never go above 5.99

its the 3 year dual superflex plan

http://www.directenergy.com/en/alberta/electricity-and-natural-gas-current-pricing.aspx

ipeefreely
08-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
EasyMax is the way to go in Calgary for sure
Anywhere it's available! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
.... Correction, 5.99 per GJ winter CAP, which i believe means i will still get charged floating rate BELOW 5.99 but will never go above 5.99

its the 3 year dual superflex plan http://www.directenergy.com/en/alberta/electricity-and-natural-gas-current-pricing.aspx
Did you miss this part: "‡ Our Flex-Through Natural Gas price floats with the current Natural Gas market price plus $2.00/GJ." :confused:

You pay float plus $2.00/GJ... ie float with EasyMax is $2.00/GJ you pay $4.00/GJ... doesn't sound good to me... :dunno:

sr20s14zenki
08-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Dont they all have a plus ~2$ per gj fee? Even before locking in i was paying that.

sr20s14zenki
08-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Yah I just looked at enmax lock in rates. They are the same... 5.99 per. Gj
Or am I missing something...

taken from their fine print on rates

" The figures above do not include a retail transaction fee, a retail service charge per GJ that is a part of the Floating Natural Gas Rate. Please refer below to determine your Natural Gas transaction fee or call 310-2010. (Natural gas rate does not include an average administration fee of $7.10 per month per site, regulated delivery charges depending on usage and service area, or taxes).

If you signed up on Feb.1 , 2012 or later, the current floating gas transaction fee is $0.99/GJ, if you signed up prior to that date please phone 310-2010 or view your most recent bill to obtain your transaction fee."

ipeefreely
08-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Dont they all have a plus ~2$ per gj fee? Even before locking in i was paying that.
You could be right... could just be their wording. You'd have to look at the bills side by side to see where it's added.

Yah I just looked at enmax lock in rates. They are the same... 5.99 per. Gj
Or am I missing something...
I wouldn't lock in gas right now... there no reason... if gas was $5.99/GJ Alberta would be stupid rich again! :rofl:

sr20s14zenki
08-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by ipeefreely

You could be right... could just be their wording. You'd have to look at the bills side by side to see where it's added.

I wouldn't lock in gas right now... there no reason... if gas was $5.99/GJ Alberta would be stupid rich again! :rofl:

Yah pretty sure enmax just doesnt tell you.

at any rate, i did read my contract, and i dont end up PAYING 5.99 per gj, thats just the maximum it can be in the winter months. I still pay whatever the floating rate is, plus the 2.00, which is how it was anyways before i locked in.

I just cant see them screwing you, because you can get out of it with 30 days notice, so it doesnt really do them any good to lie to people, or be underhanded about it.

I guess we will see if my energy bills go up. If so, i give 30 days notice and get out. It explicitly says "no early cancellation fees" in my contract terms.

Basically by the looks of it, enmax AND direct energy are offering pretty much the same plan.

Stewjoe
08-10-2013, 10:02 PM
I don't pay my own power right now but when I did I paid 5% under the regulated rate. Blue bill no cancellation fees.

Canucks3322
08-11-2013, 04:37 PM
So I'm even more confused now, the pushy door to door guys with the blue bill are actually a good deal??:dunno: I thought they don't do 30 day cancelling, only long term?

zieg
08-11-2013, 05:57 PM
That's the great thing about looking so young.

"Hi are your parents home?"

Uhh, no, they're not.

"Oh, okay. I'll come back later. Bye."

CapnCrunch
08-12-2013, 12:03 PM
This thread has me more confused that before I read it lol.

403ep3
08-12-2013, 01:18 PM

At any rate, i just got on a 3 year contract with DE, so i get 8.6 cents/kwh and i think 4.99 per Gj. The good thing about it, is that i can cancel the contract with 1 month notice, and no cancellation fees (have the contract that they sent out for me to read)

This doesn't make sense.. 3 year contract but you can cancel without a cancellation fee? That's normally not how contracts work.. It sounds like month-to-month

FISHY

sr20s14zenki
08-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Read the fine print it's right on their website.

DENZILDON
08-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Thats wierd...im on the blue bill, but mine was an actual direct energy rep that signed me...and it was no contract, etc.... it was just to save admin fees. Bills never went up.

Correction, 5.99 per GJ winter CAP, which i believe means i will still get charged floating rate BELOW 5.99 but will never go above 5.99

its the 3 year dual superflex plan

http://www.directenergy.com/en/alberta/electricity-and-natural-gas-current-pricing.aspx

Gas has been around the $2.00 to 3.00 mark. Your paying $4.99 per Gj for gas so you are currently paying more.

If you're on the new T/C of Cnmax at floating rate with 0.99 cents / GJ transaction fee then it's still cheaper and rates at average $2.50 + 0.99 transaction fee = $3.49. That's $1.50/Gj in savings.

Your fixed rate of 8.6 may be lower compared to 8.9 for electricity compared to Enmax but if you do the math at house average if 600 kwh x = 1.80 cents difference monthly compared to your gas.

Just for the summer average consumption of 2 Gj you are paying an extra $1.50 to $2.00 /GJ

sr20s14zenki
08-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Yah, not sure if thats how they do it, but i guess i'll find out.

If its a shitty deal, ill cancel. Easy as that. Also, not sure, but i think we cant get Enmax in crossfield, which sucks ass...not many choices.

Originally posted by DENZILDON

Gas has been around the $2.00 to 3.00 mark. Your paying $4.99 per Gj for gas so you are currently paying more.

If you're on the new T/C of Cnmax at floating rate with 0.99 cents / GJ transaction fee then it's still cheaper and rates at average $2.50 + 0.99 transaction fee = $3.49. That's $1.50/Gj in savings.

Your fixed rate of 8.6 may be lower compared to 8.9 for electricity compared to Enmax but if you do the math at house average if 600 kwh x = 1.80 cents difference monthly compared to your gas.

Just for the summer average consumption of 2 Gj you are paying an extra $1.50 to $2.00 /GJ

Cos
08-12-2013, 09:49 PM

Coryz
08-13-2013, 07:46 AM
They came to the door at my previous residence once. I wasn't home and they manipulated my wife into signing up with them. The "contract" was signed by my wife but all the utilities are under my name. To top it all off the guy pre-dated the contract 5 days before the actual date so I only had 5 days to sift through the crap and get that thing cancelled.

Worst company you could possibly deal with in my opinion.