PDA

View Full Version : SRT-10 vs C6 Corvette

black300
08-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Hello guys,

I am stuck in a little bit of dilema:

I own a C6 Corvette with the Z51 package, I have had this car for about two years and love it! It has 40,000 kms and is local Calgary vehicle. It has all the gadgets such a HUD, Nav, Targa Top, B&B Exhaust, 6 speed manual etc.

I have been looking into upgrading it however it is not worth the $ and headaches with a supercharger addition. I am being offered a 2005 SRT-10 Viper which is also a local Canadian car, owned by a mature adult, brand new tires, convertible the only negative part is first off car is located in Fort Mac and I am in Calgary so it is not that easy just to swing by and take a quick glance, lastly the car has higher kms 99k. Owner claims is had been serviced and kept in excellent condition however I would like to obviously get it inspected by a Dodge Dealer in Edmonton or Fort Mac (wherever we decide to meet).

Anyone have any input on what would be the ideal things to look at in the Viper and what could possibly go wrong?

I know the common differences between the Corvette & Viper but is there anything you might think can help me make a decision. At the end I only drive about 3-4k on my Corvette and it will be the same if I go for the Viper, with that being said I don't want it to be a money pit.

ddduke
08-08-2013, 04:47 PM
If you can sell your Vette and buy a viper then I'd go that route. People in Alberta ask way too much for Vipers during the summer.

I was in the market for a Viper last winter and there were TONS for sale well under $40k, the cheapest I saw was $32k for a us car with stupid low miles (located in Edmonton), every one I looked at had under 50k km also. The second summer hit prices went up by an average of $10k.

Summer's almost over, just sell yours and if it's a viper you want then wait for prices to drop in winter.

BTW, damn near every Viper I saw was located in ft mac, Edmonton or just north of Edmonton, I assume it's all oilfield guys selling them.

euro_racer
08-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Currently I own a 08 z06 and a 03 Viper. This is my 4th Corvette (TT c5 z06, 06 z06, 06 base) and my first Viper.... I will never choose a Viper over a Corvette, ever.

Aside from the looks (which are subjective), there is absolutely nothing better about the Viper when you compare the two. Corvette is faster, gets better gas mileage, is FAR more conformable, more options, better parts/modifications availability, over all best value, better re-sale etc. etc.... both have been reliable so far so I can't comment on that, but the build quality of Corvette seems better(could be because its a newer car) , road trip in a Viper requires ear plugs and make sure the a/c works as it gets hot!

Have you ever considered looking for a c6z? An 06 can be found in the $30's and the difference between the base and the Z is astonishing! (bone stock z06 puts s/c ls2/ls3 to shame)

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u439/karna_/FBE09214-42B5-4C56-862C-129AF50B234A-24659-00002A5704823FDB_zpsd1a7a9b9.jpg

This is my first and last Viper (bought it just to try it) and my 4th Corvette of many more to come over the years :devil:

never
08-08-2013, 06:06 PM
^ some pretty good first hand advice there.

Sell the current ride and get a Z06, ZL1 or V coupe (if you prefer 2-doors).

AE92_TreunoSC
08-08-2013, 06:57 PM
I loved the Viper growing up and everytime I got to work on one and drive it, I always felt let down.

I'd honestly rather have a BASE auto C6 over a Viper. It puts a much bigger smile on my face and I feel like less of a tool in it.

Corvettes feel easier to drive and faster. You have more control of the power given to you.

Darell_n
08-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Keep in mind that driving in Ft McDirty is like offroading in Maclean Creek. Yes, the streets are even worse than Edmonton. Looking out my hotel window at said streets right now.

Ukyo8
08-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Make sure you get the Viper inspected.

We got a 2009 Viper from Ft Mac in the dealership I work at, the thing had 21,000 KMS on it and it needed about 10K worth of work to make it road worthy, the service department recommended that I don't even take it for a test drive because it was so unsafe.

Not saying the one you're looking it will be in that rought of a shape but it's always a good idea to have the vehicle inspected anyways.

M.alex
08-08-2013, 09:39 PM
I was glad to be rid of my POS 03 Viper, and yet 8yrs later I still have my C5Z.

sillysod
08-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n
Keep in mind that driving in Ft McDirty is like offroading in Maclean Creek. Yes, the streets are even worse than Edmonton. Looking out my hotel window at said streets right now.

haha exactly. Same with G.P. we have done some jobs out there and had to do front ends in almost everything out there for more than a few months.

black300
08-09-2013, 11:55 AM
I will be taking the Viper for an inspection FOR SURE! Will Dodge dealership inspection and diagnosis be enough? The car also needs out of province inspection as it was an AB car than went to Sask and now will be back into AB. Kinda of a pain but Dodge is willing to do that as well, and I have talked to the owner in sending me the VIN # so I can get a car proof and lien check. Owner does not have a problem with me taking it to Dodge for an inspection and I was thinking if I really like it I will get the OOP done before I hand over the bill of sale to the Corvette.

Is it quite easy to obtain the OOP form? Do I have to be a registered owner of the vehicle to get the form from the registry?

black300
08-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by euro_racer
Currently I own a 08 z06 and a 03 Viper. This is my 4th Corvette (TT c5 z06, 06 z06, 06 base) and my first Viper.... I will never choose a Viper over a Corvette, ever.

Aside from the looks (which are subjective), there is absolutely nothing better about the Viper when you compare the two. Corvette is faster, gets better gas mileage, is FAR more conformable, more options, better parts/modifications availability, over all best value, better re-sale etc. etc.... both have been reliable so far so I can't comment on that, but the build quality of Corvette seems better(could be because its a newer car) , road trip in a Viper requires ear plugs and make sure the a/c works as it gets hot!

Have you ever considered looking for a c6z? An 06 can be found in the $30's and the difference between the base and the Z is astonishing! (bone stock z06 puts s/c ls2/ls3 to shame)

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u439/karna_/FBE09214-42B5-4C56-862C-129AF50B234A-24659-00002A5704823FDB_zpsd1a7a9b9.jpg

This is my first and last Viper (bought it just to try it) and my 4th Corvette of many more to come over the years :devil:

Thanks for the massive info! Just wondering what the mileage on your Viper is currently? I know I can't even compare the gas mileage to a Corvette but in all honestly how many kms can I expect out of a tank?

Shlade
08-10-2013, 06:01 AM
280-340 a tank?