PDA

View Full Version : Poor mans paint job needed. Any takers?

funkedelic2
08-09-2013, 05:27 AM
I bought a truck to just use from now and then. It's a 90s chev so it could use a paint job asap, not to mention the original color is pretty damn ugly.

I am thinking of painting it but I don't have the time to dedicate into it, nor do I have a place to do it in. There isn't a lot of body work that needs to be done, for the most part the body is in good shape.

It's not worth it for me to spend money getting it professionally done at a shop, but I do want it to look decent and I plan on holding onto it until it dies out on me. I want to do minor mods as well.

Looking for someone that has a bit of experience, and that wants to make some money getting it done over a weekend. I'm not expecting perfection, just a basic poor mans paint job to freshen the truck up a bit.

If anyone is interested, or you know someone that might be, please feel free to pm me!

Tik-Tok
08-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Call Maaco, they do cheap jobs, especially if you do all the masking yourself.

funkedelic2
08-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Call Maaco, they do cheap jobs, especially if you do all the masking yourself.

Thought about it but have read and heard that they use the cheapest paint possible and don't prep the car right. I don't want the paint job to just last 3 years and look bad from day 1.

Graham_A_M
08-09-2013, 03:11 PM
I know a guy, his name is Lee. He totally redid the front end of my car when I smacked a deer with it many years ago. All in all he charged me $600, to totally redo my front end, he re-hung my doors, and fixed a bunch of other shit that needed repair. A body shop would have wanted around $3-4k++ to do all that work he did for that $600.

He works out of his garage, then rents a paint booth for the actual painting duties, so he's very cheap, and does wicked work.
Lee (403) 703 1869
^ Much recommended.

funkedelic2
08-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I know a guy, his name is Lee. He totally redid the front end of my car when I smacked a deer with it many years ago. All in all he charged me $600, to totally redo my front end, he re-hung my doors, and fixed a bunch of other shit that needed repair. A body shop would have wanted around $3-4k++ to do all that work he did for that $600.

He works out of his garage, then rents a paint booth for the actual painting duties, so he's very cheap, and does wicked work.
Lee (403) 703 1869
^ Much recommended.

Thanks for the tip. I tried him, he said he doesn't do complete paint jobs and that he's tied up with too many projects.

Canucks3322
08-09-2013, 08:46 PM
What does maaco charge now for the cheapest package anyways...back in '99 it was $300!

Graham_A_M
08-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

Thanks for the tip. I tried him, he said he doesn't do complete paint jobs and that he's tied up with too many projects.

Fuck... for "cheap" he's the best, everybody else I know charges WAY more

If you can wait, I'd book it in with him... I dont know of anybody thats more reasonable.

Id very highly recommend staying away from Maaco. I recently just painted our 1.3 million km Ford (at our farm) and I did a better job then what I've seen come out of Maaco.... Its not hard.. seriously.

Just do a great job with the prep work, practice on the inside of the box, then when you're happy, you can go paint the rest of the truck.

I used a $100 2 gallon paint gun I got from Princess auto. I bought the automotive paint, mixed it accordingly, then viola! nicely painted truck... its not exactly what you'd see in the show room, but zero fucks were given. Its not hard to get no runs in the paint or anything else... but when painting, you need a beefy compressor as the paint guns can use a fair bit of air. Our 3/4hp one had trouble keeping up.
Just move around lots, let the paint dry a bit before recoating it, otherwise you'll get runs if you try to properly paint it all in one pass.

Total cost for me was $150 after the cost of paint. There are many videos on youtube showing you how to paint a car as well, that you can use as a tutorial. FWIW you'll need about 3 liters of paint to paint your truck.

Sugarphreak
08-09-2013, 09:53 PM

ddduke
08-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Line-X it :D

Full trucks start at 3k and go up to around 5k. Not that cheap

I don't even know why you're wasting your money. Even if you get the whole car done for 2k that's stupid cheap, but who would even spend 2k for paint on a 90s chev? If it needs body work you'll likely get bondo which will look like shit in a year.

What were you planning to spend? The paint alone isn't really cheap.

Just live with the shitty paint.

Graham_A_M
08-09-2013, 10:25 PM
^ 4L of automotive Paint and thinner were $150 for me, its not that expensive... When you go to these high end metallic's and pearls, that shit gets pricey quite quickly.
Just basic white, blue, black (etc) is fairly reasonable.

I agree, $3k for a body shop to paint it is a bit much.

That Lee guy I mentioned shouldn't be more then $1k or so.

bourge73
08-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Screw it do a flat black NE special or
Plasti dip the bitch

HomespunLobster
08-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
Screw it do a flat black NE special or
Plasti dip the bitch

I plasti dipped my 94 gmc sierra for $200. Looks great. still holding up