PDA

View Full Version : Mystery leak ideas?

GTS Jeff
08-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Yesterday I turned on the washer (which is in the second floor), then went to take a shit, and have a shower (also second floor)

I came out to a waterfall from the ceiling on the main floor and turned off the washer immediately. Leak stopped. Tried figuring out source of leak...toilet flush, nothing, shower running, nothing, washer full cycle nothing. No evidence of moisture around or under washer, although it has recently started making banging noises during spin. Can't reproduce the leak at all...even climbed on the roof to check it out (dry)

Not sure wtf is wrong. House is 2011 build. Not sure about calling plumber without reproducible problems. Thinking about calling washer repairman though...

Any one have ideas?

speedog
08-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Maybe the washer siphon tube is blocked?

revelations
08-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Have you tried all having all three things on at the same time again? Wonder if there is adequate venting.

Unknown303
08-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Have you tried all having all three things on at the same time again? Wonder if there is adequate venting.

:werd:

Graham_A_M
08-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Washing machine? or dish washer?

For me, if I use the wrong dishwashing detergent, it foams up and starts to pour out.
So Im quite careful not to use too much of it either.

Tik-Tok
08-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Does your washer have a drain pan with a drain line on it?

If it does, it's possible you have a slight blockage that is allowing some water to back up through the drain pan, and pouring out the back where you wouldn't see it without trying.

NickGT
08-10-2013, 02:30 PM
If the ceiling is already ruined on the main floor. Take pictures for insurance. Then I would cut it out and see what I can see. Work backwards. It will save you money if you track down the source. A plumber will probably suggest thus anyway if you can't reproduce the problem. Been down this road twice. Once with a new build and once with my remodelled 1966 split-level.

dj_rice
08-10-2013, 02:39 PM
I have no input on your topic but holy shit welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap: :thumbsup: :nut: :love:

sillysod
08-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Washing machine? or dish washer?

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
No evidence of moisture around or under washer, although it has recently started making banging noises during spin.

Sounds like Revelations is correct.

1st because you don't see any water on the floor (this indicates a vent overflowed inside the wall / ceiling)

2nd because this only happened when the shower/toilet/washing machine planets aligned one August evening.

GTS Jeff
08-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Interesting. I will look on the roof to see if any venting is blocked...the drain vents are on the roof right? I suppose I will try all 3 at once again.

sr20s14zenki
08-11-2013, 07:35 PM
You must be Jesus, that was the longest ban and unban ive ever seen.

When my dishwasher did that, it was a little line running from a solenoid, going into the side of the tub. Some plastic had broken off allowing it to spray out of the tub area. made quite a mess.

Needless to say, like others have said, if it was dripping from the ceiling, its fucked...