PDA

View Full Version : Custom Hockey Skates

npham
08-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Anyone have an idea where I can get custom hockey skates in Calgary? I've got super wide feet and I'm sick of trying to punch out EEE width skates in hopes that it might work out. I'm looking to get my feet traced and then sent away to be built. Not too picky on brand either, Bauer, CCM, Easton, Graf etc.

vengie
08-10-2013, 09:44 PM
I'd go straight to the Graf factory

npham
08-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Is there a place in town to get measured? Or is it all online?

vengie
08-10-2013, 10:31 PM
The Graf factory is right in Calgary, I'd go directly there. I had some skates made for me when I used to play at a high level.

R-Audi
08-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Im not sure Graf offers that service for regular off the street customers... if they dont you can always go to Professional Skate and custom order a pair of Bauers as another option. Be prepared to pay up though...

npham
08-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Ended up going to Professional Skate and found a pair of One.9's that fit me really well. The full composite boot was easily to mold and adjusted to get me that perfect fit without going totally customized. Was thinking about the NXG's but it didn't offer much more for the extra $150. The guys there(Professional Skate - Marda Loop) were amazing and they will get much of my business from here on out.

(Graf's were $1000(starting out), to get fully customized. Can go up to $1500 or more with add-ons)

Davetronz
08-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Graf won't do customs at the factory for non-pro players. They'll refer you to any of their upper-end local retailers who do customs.

If you're looking for custom skates (Graf and Bauer), Professional Skate (in Marda Loop) is definitely the way to go. Note that MOST people will NOT require custom skates to obtain a certain fit. If you think that you need custom and you do not have a major structural foot problem, don't require custom shoes, or don't play at a semi-pro or pro level where additional stiffeners, features or protection is required, retail skates can be made to accommodate mostly every type of foot, granted that they're fitted and adjusted properly by someone who actually knows what they're doing.

r3ccOs
08-16-2013, 03:52 PM
the best skate fitter is George who is a skate tech at Sportschek, he worked at Graf and is based out of two stores and head office...

he is sometimes down in Somerset, and Market Mall, so I'd call the locations to ask.

I have super wide feet and I am really limited to Graf 709's, which really were the widest and deepest, RBK (mostly 9/12/20k) and now the Nexus 1000, which apparently are as deep as the Graf's and fit like the old "customs"

I think with any of those 3 would be your best bet... with the Graf's being the cheapest but the heaviest and oldest

personally the graf 700 line is the most durable, so if you want a skate that will last you 10+ years, go for the Graf

if performance is your must... RBK 20k or Nexus 1000

RatherBePerfin
08-17-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm surprised you ended up in One.9 rather than Nexus if you have wide feet. I've always had trouble finding skates. Wide foot, flat arch. Nothing fit me perfect out of the box, it came down to punching out CCM rbz or dealing with the uncomfortable high arch in the Nexus. I've had skates punched out before and wasn't terribly happy with the results and when you go that route you are pretty much committed. The Nexus are not only super wide but deep as well, so I decided to go that route. I did some messing around with different insoles and stacking the front 1/3 of an odor eater insert to reduce the arch. Just test fitting with the new insole setup, I think they are probably going to be the most comfortable skates I've owned.

npham
08-17-2013, 12:50 PM
I did try the Nexus as well, but the heal was the issue for me. I was too sloppy in the ankle area on the Nexus skates. But I also went with Superfeet as well, so I have no idea how the stock insole is for the arch(I have flat feet too). I didn't care for the stiff tongue on them either, so it was an easy $150 savings.

r3ccOs
08-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by npham
I did try the Nexus as well, but the heal was the issue for me. I was too sloppy in the ankle area on the Nexus skates. But I also went with Superfeet as well, so I have no idea how the stock insole is for the arch(I have flat feet too). I didn't care for the stiff tongue on them either, so it was an easy $150 savings.

then your feet aren't quite as wide as you thought ;)

I just tried on a pair of 709's and nexus 1000's for sizing... the 709's are like perfectly fit gloves for me...
I have a deep instep, wide ankle, wide forefoot AND flat arches... there they only ones out of the box that work. and I'm a 9 regular in 709!!! whereas I'm a 9EE in rbk