PDA

View Full Version : Damaged laminate right in the middle of the floor

TimG
08-11-2013, 07:10 PM
I have some minor damage to a pice of laminate in the middle of the floor.

Minor enough that it doesn't warrant removing the slats from the wall to replace it, but it is bugging me.

Any suggestions to patch this?

I was thinking some kind of dyed glue and then sand it down to "match" the surrounding laminate.

Suggestions?

Cos
08-11-2013, 07:26 PM

sr20s14zenki
08-11-2013, 07:36 PM
I have a damaged piece in my room fortunately close to the end of the room. Im going to take some sticky notes and number them, and remove them, then put them back in order after i replace the one plank. Its shitty, but it happens. Must not have engaged the click right on that one =(

TimG
08-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Area rug is not an option, unfortunately.

The damaged slat is 20 rows in from the closest wall. Not something that I want to do :cry:

Toyota Racing
08-11-2013, 09:45 PM
I don't know if it's possible, but you can maybe try the wood filler they sell at Home Depot. I used it to fill some chips in my laminate flooring. It is just like you said you fill it in and sand it down to make it even. Just make sure to get the right colour or the colour closest to it.

Unknown303
08-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Toyota Racing
I don't know if it's possible, but you can maybe try the wood filler they sell at Home Depot. I used it to fill some chips in my laminate flooring. It is just like you said you fill it in and sand it down to make it even. Just make sure to get the right colour or the colour closest to it. :werd: Wood filler is your only bet. Fill it in and then sand it level or exacto knife it level can work.

Dave P
08-12-2013, 03:03 PM
After you fill it, would an airbrush artist be able to work some magic to make it look legit?

AndyL
08-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Dunno if its correct - in fact im sure it's not...

But i did see on one new home site, the floor guys fixed some laminate by splitting with a skil saw, popping the board out, a quick zip with the utility knife along one of the click edges - then just a few dabs of glue and a well placed 5g pail of paint to hold it down for an hour...

Im sure its not correct - but it is done...

gretz
08-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Dunno if its correct - in fact im sure it's not...

But i did see on one new home site, the floor guys fixed some laminate by splitting with a skil saw, popping the board out, a quick zip with the utility knife along one of the click edges - then just a few dabs of glue and a well placed 5g pail of paint to hold it down for an hour...

Im sure its not correct - but it is done...

Correct, it can be done, but you have a chance of making it look worse if you don't know what you are doing...

The floor might be "warped" or cupped under where the laminate is. If you cut one out, slice the tongue off and install another, make sure the height that the new board is sitting at is perfectly level and supported at the same height as the rest of the floor.

AndyL
08-12-2013, 07:44 PM
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/replace-laminate-floor-board-middle-floor-37327.html

Hmmm... Didn't realize until I googled it - it's an old hardwood technique.

blitz
08-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/replace-laminate-floor-board-middle-floor-37327.html

Hmmm... Didn't realize until I googled it - it's an old hardwood technique.

Yup, I did this to a bunch of hardwood to extend a floor when I removed a fireplace hearth. Important part with Laminate is not to glue it to the floor. and I'd use 2 or 3 5 gallon pails to hold it down uniformly.