PDA

View Full Version : Converting apartment 1 bedroom to 2 bedroom

BigMass
08-13-2013, 08:27 AM
Anybody have any experience with this? Or a studio to a 1 bedroom. The price difference between 1 and 2 is drastic but I don’t need the sqft space. I need the wall separation though and some floorplans lend an opportunity to add a small bedroom. Does anybody know what would be involved in terms of talking to the condo board, getting permits etc. It would be something I would need to find out prior to buying a place. Last thing I want is to buy a place and find out I’m not allowed to do what I want to it. I’ve never heard of anybody doing this but I’d imagine it’s possible

ercchry
08-13-2013, 08:30 AM
tough part about condos, unless you get a corner unit is the lack of walls with windows... but i guess you could build a "den" if you choose to sleep in it, thats your issue

CapnCrunch
08-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Yeah, you need a closet and a large enough window to classify it as a bedroom. If it's just for your own use then go for it.

If the wall isn't load bearing, has no electrical outlets or switches, and has no plumbing, I wouldn't bother with a permit. I wouldn't think a condo board would have much they could say about it, other than keeping the noise down during construction and not making a mess.

The thoughts expressed above is just my opinion and should not be taken as fact.

skandalouz_08
08-13-2013, 02:52 PM
You will want to talk to your Realtor about all this before you begin looking for a place. Any changes within your unit typically have to be approved by the condo board but unless you have an uptight condo board there typically isn't a problem with adding a wall or two.

That being said, to qualify as a bedroom you will need a closet and windows. Depending on the area you're looking in you can find 2 bedrooms in one area that are the same price as 1 bedrooms in other areas. Wouldn't hurt to look at 2 bedrooms in your price range right off the bat.

BigMass
08-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by skandalouz_08
You will want to talk to your Realtor about all this before you begin looking for a place. Any changes within your unit typically have to be approved by the condo board but unless you have an uptight condo board there typically isn't a problem with adding a wall or two.

That being said, to qualify as a bedroom you will need a closet and windows. Depending on the area you're looking in you can find 2 bedrooms in one area that are the same price as 1 bedrooms in other areas. Wouldn't hurt to look at 2 bedrooms in your price range right off the bat.

the most important thing to me is location. So to me it's immaterial what I can get in other places. This is also a hypothetical situation that I would only attempt if the apartments layout was conducive to the changes. Calgary is changing slowly to smaller space efficient places in prime locations, but older buildings still have that 30 year old mentality of needing tons of space for your TV that's as big as a fridge. I've seen amazing 2 bedroom layouts between 500-600 sqft. They work as long as the kitchen and living room are open concept and not too large. There are some one bedroom apartments I've seen around 650sqft that would have plenty of space for another small bedroom. My lifestyle suits 2 small bedrooms over 1 large master or a huge kitchen that I would never use or a huge living space that serves little purpose.

88CRX
08-13-2013, 04:43 PM
You do not require a closet or window. Just close is off with a wall and call it a den. Happens all the time in new condo developments.

ercchry
08-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
You do not require a closet or window. Just close is off with a wall and call it a den. Happens all the time in new condo developments.

i thought the new thing was tossing a murphy bed in the living room with a half retractable divider and calling the place a "2 bedroom" :rofl:

88CRX
08-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

i thought the new thing was tossing a murphy bed in the living room with a half retractable divider and calling the place a "2 bedroom" :rofl:

Studio units smaller than hotel rooms is all the rage. I couldn't imagine living in that haha. Not long till we just have one large (err small) open room with the shitter in the corner.

BigMass
08-13-2013, 05:21 PM

Studio units smaller than hotel rooms is all the rage. I couldn't imagine living in that haha. Not long till we just have one large (err small) open room with the shitter in the corner.

already have those in Manhattan. 150sqft apartments. Pretty much no different than a prison cell with the freedom to come and go as you please. Obviously most people that have no issue with an apartment like this use it mainly for sleep and are out and about most of the day.

BigMass
08-13-2013, 05:22 PM

Good point thanks. I guess what you call it makes all the difference.