PDA

View Full Version : Strong Wifi, slow speeds

Mitsu3000gt
08-13-2013, 10:35 AM
I recently updated the firmware on my Asus RT-N66U router, as well as updated to Android 4.3 on my N4 and N7. Anyway, my wireless speeds suck now, on both devices, and they didn't before (I could pull over 50 Mbps on my N4). I am getting 1-2 Mbps max on speedtest.net with super low pings - it feels like it's being limited somehow. Doesn't matter if I use 2.4 or 5 Ghz, the result is the same.

If I turn Wifi off and back on on the device, sometimes I can get a decent speed (10-20 Mbps, which is more than enough for my Wifi needs) but after a few minutes it will revert back to 1-2 Mbps. Almost as if it's being intentionally throttled somehow.

I downloaded the Wifi analyzer app and the signal strength is strong (it says 50-60 Mbps) and I have maximum signal strength bars on my devices as well.

Wired internet speed is lighting fast, I get my full 100 Mbit as per usual, there is no issue there.

I set the router to only broadcast wireless N.

Is there some sort of setting that may have been reset when I updated my router? Do certain security methods slow your speed down to a crawl?

I do have speakers next to my router, but they are magnetically shielded.

Any suggestions as to why my Wifi speeds suck, even with very strong signals to my wireless devices? I'm guessing it's either a setting in the router, or some sort of bug with Android 4.3.

Thanks!

ipeefreely
08-13-2013, 05:57 PM
You live in a condo, right?

Get an app that will show you which channel is currently the least used and try switching to that...

Maybe someone got a new router at the same time and they just happen to jump on the same channel you have been using... :dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
08-13-2013, 06:32 PM
I locked the channel on the least crowded one and got my 2.4 speeds up to 8-9 Mbps.

5 GHz still wont go above 0.6 Mbps, even if I put my phone 2 inches from the router. I have that band all to myself as well in my building. And yes I'm in a condo building. The wifi app says it has massive signal strength and so does my phone wifi meter.

Before, I could get 50+ Mbps no problem on 5 Ghz. The only thing that changed that I can think of is I updated to android 4.3 and updated router firmware.

I also bumped up my router antennae from 80mw to 150 mw and it did nothing.

I would suspect something is wrong with my router, but every test I can possibly do suggest signal strength is extremely good. The speeds just won't go above 0.6 Mbps.

revelations
08-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Downgrade the firmware and try speed test again.

TimH
08-13-2013, 07:11 PM
What are the response times when you ping your default gateway (router IP) for one of your wireless clients? If the responses times are more than 1-2 ms you might have interference issues, although judging by what you've said that doesn't seem to be the case. Just something fast and easy to check to rule that out.

If you have a Windows 7/8 laptop you could enable Internet Connection Sharing by connecting your ethernet port to the router and sharing out wifi through your wireless card (Adhoc network). That would eliminate the router as the culprit without having to buy another router to test.

Can you downgrade the router firmware back to what you had? That would seem like something that would be worthwhile if it's possible.

Mitsu3000gt
08-13-2013, 07:20 PM
I will try downgrade the FW and report back.

At work, with poor signal strength, I can pull 15-20 Mbps over wireless on my phone, so I think I can safely rule out my devices as the issue. We just use a standard router there for employee Wifi, nothing special.

I don't know what FW I was using before exactly, but I will try dropping to an older one.

EDIT: Downgraded firmware and problem still exists. The speedtest.net app will let it spike to speeds I would expect for a couple miliseconds, then immadiately it drops to 0.2-0.5 Mbps on 5GHz. On 2.4 GHz I can get 4-5 Mbps.

Interestingly, my upload speeds will show the maximum I am allowed with Broadband 100 (5Mbps).

How do I check response time from my router to the device?

revelations
08-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Ping the router name or the IP address.

Try a hardline to a PC or other device.

Mitsu3000gt
08-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Ping the router name or the IP address.

Try a hardline to a PC or other device.

Hardline works wonderfully, maxes out my 100 Mbit and I see 11.5 MB/s all day long. It's strictly the wireless speed, even though signal strength is through the roof.

revelations
08-13-2013, 08:29 PM
I would return the device, it might have been damaged somehow with the electrical storms weve had the past little while. I've seen FW updates wreck routers that were on the edge, a few times.

Mitsu3000gt
08-13-2013, 08:37 PM
I would return the device, it might have been damaged somehow with the electrical storms weve had the past little while. I've seen FW updates wreck routers that were on the edge, a few times.

I think it's on IPR at memex. It has been the best router I've ever owned by a mile until a couple days ago. Not returnable anymore but maybe I can get it replaced. Got it a little over a year ago.

revelations
08-13-2013, 08:50 PM
They definitely are good units but I've recommended to every client that buys a nice router to invest in a UPS. IC's are getting more compact with every generation and more susceptible to electrical issues.

Mitsu3000gt
08-13-2013, 09:17 PM
They definitely are good units but I've recommended to every client that buys a nice router to invest in a UPS. IC's are getting more compact with every generation and more susceptible to electrical issues.

It's been plugged into a APC UPS since day one. I highly doubt it was damaged by a spike or some kind, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

revelations
08-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Good to know regardless, UPS' are the way to go these days.

Mitsu3000gt
08-14-2013, 12:07 AM
Good to know regardless, UPS' are the way to go these days.

Agreed.

It seems my 2.4 GHz speed is restored, I see 25Mbps on the N7 and 15 Mbps on the N4, which is about good and consistent with what I get elsewhere. 5 Ghz is completely F'd, as far as I can tell. Max I can get is 0.2-0.6 Mbps still, with excellent signal strength. I sent a support ticket to Asus, we'll see what they say.

EK69
08-19-2013, 03:41 PM
I read something about 5ghz speed degrading on this router over time I think on specific firmware
Try going to an even older firmware?

Did u clear nvram? (I think that just means reset all setting to factory and set them up again)

Mitsu3000gt
08-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by EK69
I read something about 5ghz speed degrading on this router over time I think on specific firmware
Try going to an even older firmware?

Did u clear nvram? (I think that just means reset all setting to factory and set them up again)

I haven't done a full factory reset, but talking to Asus support they immediately issued me an RMA. It's still under IPR so I'm just going to being it to Memex and let them deal with it. I'm 99% sure I'll just get a new one under warranty through Memex. I have another router I can use in the interim. First time I will have ever used IPR haha.

I'm pretty sure the 5Ghz is toast, I can't even get it to break 1Mbps and I used to get over 50Mbps. My hard-wired speeds are faster than any other router I've ever tried though, which is nice. I love the router, and will buy it's successor when it makes sense, it just seems I got a bad 5Ghz section on mine.

KISS_ME
08-19-2013, 04:12 PM
if you think you've narrowed down your problem to a matter of frequency, try using 802.11a. 802.11g/n i think only allows for 3 clear channels, meaning all other channels between 1-13 will have crosstalk. 802.11a i think gives 12 clear channels, much more than b/g and also because 11a is considered to be legacy technology, you'll have much less people using it. another idea, is to change the type of antenna your using, i think most routers are defaulted with omni directional antenna, that just shoots signal in all direction. switch to a directional antenna and you'll have a much stronger signal to a given direction. lastly, if all else fails, crank the shit out of the gains on the antenna, your router will just overtalk everyone else. lol

thetransporter
08-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Strong Wi-Fi signal with low speeds can mean lots of noise - I dont know much of your environment - that can be an issue -

KISS_ME
08-20-2013, 01:31 PM
google tin canned antenna, it's a pretty ghetto build but i've heard it's legit.

Mitsu3000gt
08-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter
Strong Wi-Fi signal with low speeds can mean lots of noise - I dont know much of your environment - that can be an issue -

I would agree, but in identical conditions before I could get 50+mbps on 5ghz. 2.4ghz (by far the most crowded band) gives me 20-30mbps still.

I moved my router out of my computer room, away from speakers, away from everything else, and my speeds on 2.4 improved slightly but still under 1.0Mbps on 5ghz. I'm pretty sure that band is toast.

I'm in a condo building, but a corner unit. There are a lot of 2.4 WiFi networks around me for sure, but enough of it works as expected that I have trouble believing that's the culprit. There is only one other 5Ghz network around me, so that band isn't crowded.

Mitsu3000gt
09-09-2013, 09:16 AM
I thought I would post an update, it actually turned out to be my phone and not my router.

Looks like my Nexus 4's 5Ghz capability is toast. I got a second 5Ghz capable device in the house and it rips along at 60Mbps from my router, even through a glass wall. 2.4 Ghz works just fine.

I'll probably just RMA my phone after the N5 comes out and then keep it as a backup.