PDA

View Full Version : ford fiesta st

calgarygts
08-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Hi guys,

I've been thinking about getting a new car for a while now and out of nowhere the ford fiesta st caught my eye. I want something small, good on gas but somewhat fun to drive. I didn't even know they had an st version out but it's looking pretty good to me - anybody have experience or advice?

If you can think of any alternatives I should be looking at please fire away!

I suppose I should say I won't spend more than a new fiesta, so 25k max.

Tomaz
08-13-2013, 02:14 PM
It caught my eye too, but I am cross-shopping some pretty obscure vehicles currently.

The ST Fiesta is looking promising. Every review I read is very positive, and the fact we are finally getting some hot-hatches in NA is quite nice to see. In that segment, the only other car I see being a good competitor would be a Honda Fit. Everything else is either going to be too small, or too much money. Maybe someone else would like to prove me wrong? Toyota Yaris, Scion xD, Nissan Versa are also being sold in the same category, but I honestly cannot see any value, or even close competition in terms of performance with those when compared to the ST.

The ST has an overboost function for little spurts of power here and there (up to 197HP), but consistently will produce 187 HP. THat is more than enough to be peppy on the street. THe 0-60 time is little over 6 seconds, so she is no slouch. The ST also comes loaded with lots of features right off the bat, but just know that you can option it out to just shy of $29K with upgraded stereos, navigation, sunroof, and various other accessories, so just watch it there.

I have yet to take one for a test drive, so I cant comment on my personal feelings for the car. I do hear people love driving it, so I would suggest just taking one for a rip to see what you think for yourself. Then maybe compare it to the others I mentioned.

DeleriousZ
08-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Both the boys at top gear, and chris harris are singing the praises of the fiesta ST. I've never driven one, but the gf had a rental of the base ST and she said she liked it quite a bit. I agree with the above statement to go drive one and see for yourself!

Moonracer
08-13-2013, 03:19 PM
We had a Fiesta company car for two years when they first came out and it was alright. My only real complaint was the crappy auto tranny. This new ST sounds pretty sweet though.

heavyD
08-14-2013, 08:19 AM
The Fiesta ST kind of reminds me a lot of the late 80's/early 90's Suzuki Swift GTi. That was a super fun little city runabout. The early reviews are pretty favourable.

LOLzilla
08-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Local dealership claims that they'll be arriving in the next month and a half with super low dealer allocation; 1-2 units per.

eglove
08-14-2013, 01:32 PM
All I know is I love my focus st. So the fiesta st should be wicked too!

Cos
08-14-2013, 04:53 PM

revelations
08-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Fiesta ST - only comes in 5 door here in NA - which means the B pillar will be right by my ear when I drive, which is a deal killer.

The 3 door would have been much nicer.

http://images.motoring.co.uk/images/car-pictures/mucf-images/500x375/spid1/46/64/9e/ford-fiesta-2011-frozen-white-hatchback-zetec-s-1-6-3dr-ex-demo-bluetooth--46649eb85669c9c507e47d84828149ab-m2.jpg

DeleriousZ
08-14-2013, 06:09 PM
goddamnit. even when we get the cool models, they still manage to find a way to fuck us in north america. :(

Sugarphreak
08-14-2013, 10:03 PM

msommers
08-14-2013, 10:26 PM
That red and black interior just kills it for me. Like the Fusion myself considering they're both 4-door and you can get AWD!

calgarygts
08-15-2013, 11:39 AM
I've got one coming into the dealership downtown for a test drive in the next week or so (at least that's what the guy told me). I'd rather the extra two doors - easier for moving stuff around town and the few times I have more than one passenger.

Sugarphreak
08-28-2013, 10:14 PM

toastgremlin
08-31-2013, 10:08 PM
I think I saw a green one heading northbound on Deerfoot today. Looked nice. Anyone got a test drive yet?

calgarygts
09-02-2013, 11:29 PM
I still haven't gotten a call back from the dealership so either it isn't in or the guy lost my info. Maybe I'll stop by on the way home this week to see if they got one in yet.

gpomp
09-03-2013, 12:51 AM
So $2k off with employee pricing and 0% finance/lease...

Does anyone know how many are coming in? Salesman over the phone said they might get 1-2 for the year???

eglove
09-03-2013, 10:12 AM
I think it's limited just like the ST's where. 1-2 cars per dealership on the initial shipment then 1 car per month. Canada doesn't seem to be getting too many of the ST variant

revelations
09-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Whats the latest situation with buying from Ford dealers from the US? No warranty? Crazy import total costs ?

Sugarphreak
09-03-2013, 09:35 PM

revelations
09-03-2013, 09:49 PM
This thread is about the ST, the masses can have their rental-cars :poosie:

ST BASE MSRP

USD 21,400$

CAD AB 25,000$ (NOT including temporary "employee pricing")

Sugarphreak
09-03-2013, 09:51 PM

schocker
09-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
^^ That is what I was saying, if you compare the base ST in the US with the base ST in Canada (base meaning no options or upgrades) it is less than 500$ difference. Basically no point in going down to the US to pick one up.
That is so weird. The base US one doesn't come with recaros/heated mirrors either. So it is even worse, would be more to import for sure. Focus is still cheaper than the states, have been looking at those a bit, used 2013's go for about $24k loaded with a few thousand miles.

gpomp
09-03-2013, 10:13 PM
I don't know if you are talking about the Fiesta ST or not, but for this car the advertised base MSRP is:
USA: $21,400 [$22,558.67 CAD]
Canada: $23,024

So price difference is like 465$ :dunno:

Canadian MSRP is $24,999. There's $1975 off from employee pricing. Final price with freight and employee pricing is $24,674 + tax.

US MSRP is $21,400 but you have to add the ST package to get the same equipment as the Canadian car (Recaro seats, heated mirrors). Final price with freight is $24,190 USD + tax

Sugarphreak
09-04-2013, 07:40 AM

Twenty
09-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by schocker

That is so weird. The base US one doesn't come with recaros/heated mirrors either. So it is even worse, would be more to import for sure. Focus is still cheaper than the states, have been looking at those a bit, used 2013's go for about $24k loaded with a few thousand miles.

If it's the same as it is with the Focus STs, the US will get a few trim levels and Canada will get one. In the states, there are three versions of the ST (ST1, ST2, ST3) but in Canada we get what is essentially the ST3 (though MFT is still optional).

schocker
09-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Twenty
If it's the same as it is with the Focus STs, the US will get a few trim levels and Canada will get one. In the states, there are three versions of the ST (ST1, ST2, ST3) but in Canada we get what is essentially the ST3 (though MFT is still optional).
Fiesta is different, only option is really sunroof, recaro+heated mirrors for the US. Focus though has those trim levels. Only one worth looking at is ST3 though. I believe that is a few thousand less and also comes with a sunroof where in Canada it is an option. ST1 seats in the US are the worst looking seats of any car ever :rofl:

Twenty
09-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Fiesta is different, only option is really sunroof, recaro+heated mirrors for the US. Focus though has those trim levels. Only one worth looking at is ST3 though. I believe that is a few thousand less and also comes with a sunroof where in Canada it is an option. ST1 seats in the US are the worst looking seats of any car ever :rofl:

ST1 seats are mine with a giant logo added in. I think they look better without. ;)

An ST2 Focus is the way I'd go, for the two-tone Recaros.

schocker
09-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Twenty
ST1 seats are mine with a giant logo added in. I think they look better without. ;)

An ST2 Focus is the way I'd go, for the two-tone Recaros.
The color on the ST1 seats make them look like they have decent bolsters, then they in fact do not. I don't mind the 2 tone, but the ST3 includes so much stuff it is hard to pass up. I really like the leather recaros then nav/sync and all that jazz also. I am still undecided though, found a bunch for cheap now but the ST3 needs the headlight recall completed before they can be imported. Can't decide if I want one of these before a big boy car :rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-06-2013, 07:58 AM
So what would you choose, Fiesta ST or FRS, considering currently the FRS is $3900 more than Ford advertises the ST for on the road.

For me I love everything about the ST (pending the drive) but I dont think I can go back to FWD.

Sugarphreak
09-06-2013, 08:23 AM

Tomaz
09-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
So what would you choose, Fiesta ST or FRS, considering currently the FRS is $3900 more than Ford advertises the ST for on the road.

For me I love everything about the ST (pending the drive) but I dont think I can go back to FWD.

Just to stir the pot a bit: V6 Mustang. 300HP V6 is pretty good! Starts at $22k....

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Tomaz

Just to stir the pot a bit: V6 Mustang. 300HP V6 is pretty good! Starts at $22k....

Personally I want a smaller and lighter car that handles better than my 135i, but the V6 Mustang is a good price for someone in that market.

I just know none of these cars will keep up to my 135i without major work.

revelations
09-06-2013, 08:56 AM
If I wanted a fat, bloated, gas guzzler that cant carry as much in terms of volume, handled like a brick, and looks like its from the 60s, I would go for the Mustang :poosie:

(ps I do love pony cars, just not the latest Mustang)

Tomaz
09-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Haha! I don't disagree. At my size, I can feel the back pain just looking at them.

Twin-Cam, not a lot of cars for under $40k will touch you car. lol

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Haha! I don't disagree. At my size, I can feel the back pain just looking at them.

Twin-Cam, not a lot of cars for under $40k will touch you car. lol

Sadly, I drove an FRS and really enjoyed it but I know I'm going to want more power so I have to weigh my options.

Sugarphreak
09-18-2013, 11:28 PM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-19-2013, 06:18 AM
So anybody test driven this car yet? Or know of a dealer that has one in stock? :dunno:

Sales guy from Maclin Ford was supposed to call me back when they got on in, but two weeks later I've heard nothing.

I am definitely considering one of these for autoX

I've inquired about 6 different times at different dealers and nobody has got back to me.

Tomaz
09-19-2013, 10:01 AM
All the dealers have told me they would start seeing them in Mid-late October.:dunno:

ianmcc
09-19-2013, 10:42 AM
This shows a green on in Airdrie...
http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dealers/camclarkfordsales/new-inventory?vehicle=Fiesta&lang=en&inv-radio=on&VehicleType=Cars&Year=2014#modelid=315&filters=5-DR+HATCH+ST/All/All/All//10/BodyDesc/1/0&fps=true

And a blue in Okotoks...
http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dealers/okotoksloln/new-inventory?lang=en#modelid=315&filters=5-DR+HATCH+ST/All/All/All//10/BodyDesc/1/0&fps=true

ercchry
09-19-2013, 11:00 AM
why the hell would you buy this over a base mustang?! 305hp RWD and a LSD :nut: plus its quicker to 60mph

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-19-2013, 11:04 AM
All the dealers have told me they would start seeing them in Mid-late October.:dunno:

Thats all fine and dandy but I had wished someone would have maybe given me a call or shot me an email who works at a dealer to tell me...

eglove
09-19-2013, 11:14 AM
There's already two guys in the city that own a fiesta ST as well. A dude in okotoks with an orange one and another guy in the city with a black one. They're on the Focus ST forums.

riander5
09-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by revelations
If I wanted a fat, bloated, gas guzzler that cant carry as much in terms of volume, handled like a brick, and looks like its from the 60s, I would go for the Mustang :poosie:

(ps I do love pony cars, just not the latest Mustang)

Says the guy driving a civic :rofl:

Handles like a brick, but can hang with an m3, and get better mileage... :rolleyes:

ercchry
09-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Personally I want a smaller and lighter car that handles better than my 135i, but the V6 Mustang is a good price for someone in that market.

I just know none of these cars will keep up to my 135i without major work.

with the savings on the mustang you could super charge it, get wheels and suspension and have a great time. sure its "heavy" but its not THAT heavy. it is more of a grand tourer than a sports car though. which for the highway is great. but also having lower handling limits does make it super fun. plus its got pretty good steering angle ;)

hell, buy a slightly used one and save even more!

this one even has a brand new motor in it

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2012-Ford-Mustang-Base-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ521855113

DeleriousZ
09-19-2013, 11:41 AM
But then you'd be driving a mustang, and nobody wants to be that guy

ercchry
09-19-2013, 11:42 AM
says the VAG owner :rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

with the savings on the mustang you could super charge it, get wheels and suspension and have a great time. sure its "heavy" but its not THAT heavy. it is more of a grand tourer than a sports car though. which for the highway is great. but also having lower handling limits does make it super fun. plus its got pretty good steering angle ;)

hell, buy a slightly used one and save even more!

this one even has a brand new motor in it

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2012-Ford-Mustang-Base-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ521855113

I was actually pretty close to buying a new Mustang once upon a time, but nobody was able to close the deal in time so I went with my low mileage BMW. Truth be told the BMW has been great and I don't want to sell it, but its expensive as I drive it about 35000KM a year.

I will probably end up keeping it anyway and sucking it up, I want more power and better handling next year but I have to really budget for that.

Sugarphreak
09-19-2013, 12:19 PM

ercchry
09-19-2013, 12:23 PM
did you really just say parts for any car are CHEAPER than a mustang?! :rofl:

get your head out of your ass nick, driving dynamics of a rwd car trump a fwd car every time

mustang also can come with recaros... its the same damn manufacture after all. turbo cars are actually worse at higher elevation. but you just dont notice it cause it will adjust itself. so you, you will run out of steam when you crank it up here vs. sea level.

i also doubt with the gearing in the mustang that you will see any real noticeable use of gas

and your fake LSD will eat brakes :poosie:

Sugarphreak
09-19-2013, 12:34 PM

ercchry
09-19-2013, 12:38 PM
but if you care about cost you can get a $5k super charger and $1200 coilovers and $150 4.10 gears and have a 400hp+ 32mpg car for less than the optioned out fiesta st

yes, a turbo car will adjust for the same boost level up here... but now what are you going to turn the boost up to when you mod it? after a point its just going to blow hot air

and fuck autoX... road course ftw... and our future of road courses in alberta is looking bright

heavyD
09-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
But then you'd be driving a mustang, and nobody wants to be that guy

I was 'that guy' and the only difference I noticed was that I got more stares and thumbs up from my Mustang than my EVO X and STI combined. The general population loves Mustangs and couldn't give two shits about a hopped up economy car.

Mitsu3000gt
09-19-2013, 03:51 PM
The Fiesta ST is SLOW, but probably more fun darting around in traffic than much of the direct competition. Pretty much every family sedan is faster than it, which makes it slow IMO. Maybe you can chip it?

Then again I drive a 7+ second 0-60 Civic lol, so who am I to say.

I don't get all these cars with good chassis and shit for power. Fiesta ST, Mazda Miata, Subaru/Scion BRZ/FRS, etc. They would be so much better if they weren't slower than a soccer mom in her Camry.

ercchry
09-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I was 'that guy' and the only difference I noticed was that I got more stares and thumbs up from my Mustang than my EVO X and STI combined. The general population loves Mustangs and couldn't give two shits about a hopped up economy car.

not only that, but you can get away with being a waaay bigger dick in traffic. its weird. that car made me drive the worse i ever have since i was ~17 years old yet no one really expressed road rage towards me like they did in lets say... my jeep rubicon, which was really slow... and i drove it was less aggressive :nut:

Kg810
09-19-2013, 04:16 PM
How much less is the Fiesta ST compared to the Focus ST?

Mitsu3000gt
09-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Kg810
How much less is the Fiesta ST compared to the Focus ST?

$24,999 vs $29,999

Tomaz
09-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

$24,999 vs $29,999

Which means out the door:

$28k vs $34k

That should include family pricing IIRC.

Kg810
09-19-2013, 04:42 PM

$24,999 vs $29,999

I was expecting a larger difference. Can't see what all the hype is about then, I would rather fork out an extra$5k to get the Focus ST. Are people that hyped up about the size of the Fiesta ST or something?

Mitsu3000gt
09-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Kg810

I was expecting a larger difference. Can't see what all the hype is about then, I would rather fork out an extra$5k to get the Focus ST. Are people that hyped up about the size of the Fiesta ST or something?

I don't get either of those 2 cars, personally. For $30-35K you can get into an Audi A3, MB CLA, Golf GTI, etc.

$28K OTD is way to much money for a Fiesta of any kind IMO.

LSChevelle
09-19-2013, 05:30 PM

As for a Turbo's being at a disadvantage at higher elevations... I'd like to hear your reasoning, because my understanding is that less dense air affects N/A motors while a turbo tends to provide the same boost as sea level.

This is a moot point, the less dense air is going to affect both vehicles the same. While it is true that the boost may read the same psi, that doesn't actually matter. How much power your car makes is dependant on the amount of oxygen getting into the cylinder. Less oxygen rich air at 10psi is still less oxygen rich air!

DeleriousZ
09-19-2013, 06:24 PM
No dude... there's almost the exact same amount of oxygen in the air, there's just less air. The turbo has to work harder (spin faster) to compress the desired pressure, but the amount of oxygen in the air itself doesn't change.

I'm pretty sure boosted cars have an advantage at altitude, due to them being more affected by the pressure being produced by the turbo rather than the flow. I don't really know a clear way to explain this because i have the dumb today, but I'll give it a try anyway.

Actually i'm just going to drop a link because I'm lazy.

http://2-stroke-porting.com/Air_Density.html

If you had an absolute pressure gauge and a boost controller, you could effectively eliminate the pressure loss due to altitude, although it would tax your system more.

eglove
09-19-2013, 07:36 PM

I don't get either of those 2 cars, personally. For $30-35K you can get into an Audi A3, MB CLA, Golf GTI, etc.

$28K OTD is way to much money for a Fiesta of any kind IMO.

Base models of all those cars you listed, this is a fully loaded ST - nav, moonroof, dualzone climate, recaros, myfordtouch, etc.

Sugarphreak
09-19-2013, 09:16 PM

Sugarphreak
09-19-2013, 09:53 PM

eglove
09-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Accessport gains are pretty good for $500 OTS maps

revelations
09-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Those who get hot hatches will get the ST Fiesta (or Focus, or Golf R, etc), not everyone does.

Its not a muscle car nor was it ever meant to be. If I strictly cared about performance and $$ numbers there are probably better alternatives for sure but thats not what this thread was about.

Personally, its about time we got a share of the decent vehicles the rest of the world has had to offer for years. Ford is making a good start with these.

I'd just wish we'd got the three door model .... :(

LOLzilla
09-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Ford Racing is rolling out performance parts for the Focus ST. I can see that being the case with the Fiesta ST as well.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-racing-introduces-upgrade-parts-for-focus-st-power-kit-coming-2012-sema-show/