PDA

View Full Version : First RHD, Insurance cost ?

lowestcars
08-15-2013, 12:13 AM
I'm 17 now and looking to pick up a '91 180sx this weekend. This will be my first rhd car and I just want a heads up on how to get this thing on the road. Will I need an inspection or anything like that in order to get it insured ? Mostly stock sr20, so i'm hoping it wont be too bad. Also any insurance companies that you guys can recommend with the least headaches and cheapest cost ? Only looking for PLPD, nothing fancy.

Shlade
08-15-2013, 12:37 AM
I never noticed difference in price on my 94 GTR even it being RHD.

Since its older than 10 years they may ask for an insurance inspection

DeleriousZ
08-15-2013, 12:51 AM
When I was looking to get insurance on a rhd gc8 subaru, my insurance agent told me that I could only get PLPD insurance on it unless I had it appraised, and called local dealerships to ensure body panels were on hand for the car. That was with intact.

1JZ-Soarer
08-15-2013, 01:10 AM
I'm with intact now and its a no go for full coverage and as far as i know you can't get it on a RHD from any company.

ExtraSlow
08-15-2013, 06:15 AM
your insurance will be pretty high. I can't imagine a higher combination than 1) no insurance history, 2) 17 years of age, 3) sports car, 4)RHD.
Good luck.

Also, a car of that age will need an insurance inspection with many companies. Make sure your horn, lights and wipers work. I failed once on wipers.

Masked Bandit
08-15-2013, 08:11 AM
For all intents & purposes, RHD is no different than any other car when it comes to insurance. The big difference is that 99.9% of the insurance companies will only do PLPD on them. You will need a generic safety inspection but any licensed mechanic can do that. The fact that it's RHD doesn't even enter into the equation for PLPD pricing. Enjoy the new car!

guessboi
08-15-2013, 09:43 AM
PLPD's premium is mainly based on the driver, not the car.
Reason being PLPD covers your liability to 3rd parties and not the vehicle itself.

lowestcars
08-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Doesn't sound too bad. Thanks for all the help.

DEATH2000
08-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
For all intents & purposes, RHD is no different than any other car when it comes to insurance. The big difference is that 99.9% of the insurance companies will only do PLPD on them. You will need a generic safety inspection but any licensed mechanic can do that. The fact that it's RHD doesn't even enter into the equation for PLPD pricing. Enjoy the new car!
Im curious, and its probably been mentioned before, but why wont insurance companies insure RHD vehicles with more then PLPD?

Critical
08-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000

Im curious, and its probably been mentioned before, but why wont insurance companies insure RHD vehicles with more then PLPD?

It is difficult to establish value for repair or replacement on imported vehicles.

lellowrx7
08-15-2013, 11:54 PM
also, its damn hard to find parts.
had a city garbage truck run into my rx7, messed up my back fender.
the only places approved by the city were quoting massive amounts to repair it because they needed to order in the parts from japan.
im sure its the same deal for skylines, and any other cars mainly made in japan.

my first import was a 94 toyota celica
i was 16, second car with only 4 months driving experience, and drivers ed
insurance was 160 a month with allstate

this was 6 years ago, so add in average rate of inflation blah blah blah and i could see yours being upto 200 a month.

I would try to go with TD
theyre good to deal with, will accept RHD and when i last renewed my insurance they saved me almost 60$ a month from what intact was going to charge me

bh87
08-16-2013, 10:25 AM
I would look in to using an insurance broker (I used Touchstone they advertize on this site) and they helped me save more than 50% off of what TD was charging me (both Auto and Home) by going with Intact.

I do not have a RHD vehicle but I think it would be worthwhile using an insurance broker to find you the best scenario (price and coverage).

Masked Bandit
08-16-2013, 02:38 PM

Lack of availability & cost of body parts are the biggest reasons. Also because they are relatively rare, finding comparables for the purpose of establishing a market value can be hard.

DEATH2000
08-16-2013, 05:14 PM

Lack of availability & cost of body parts are the biggest reasons. Also because they are relatively rare, finding comparables for the purpose of establishing a market value can be hard.
What about a LHD import from Germany/Japan? I have plans to bring something over as it was never sold here originally but its left hand drive. The one I want is the 2001 model so i have a little while to wait left (2016) but I figure I may as well ask now.

Is it only about part replacement or just being on the "wrong side"?

lellowrx7
08-17-2013, 02:10 AM

What about a LHD import from Germany/Japan? I have plans to bring something over as it was never sold here originally but its left hand drive.

The vins still wont match up the same as canadian built cars.
youll have to have the import inspection (oop) done before you can get insurance or register the car.

Where you might get lucky is that its LHD, and made for driving on our road system.

I still think the fact that it was never sold here is still going to spike the insurance, parts wont be easy to find, and often need to be shipped over.

calgaryFTO
08-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Call Johnson Inc. Got Comprehensive on my EVO V for under $800/year

Sentry
08-19-2013, 09:45 PM
GS300 body panels are plentiful but nobody will give me comprehensive for my Aristo.

FUCKING HORSE SHIT.

Masked Bandit
08-20-2013, 08:30 AM

What about a LHD import from Germany/Japan? I have plans to bring something over as it was never sold here originally but its left hand drive. The one I want is the 2001 model so i have a little while to wait left (2016) but I figure I may as well ask now.

Is it only about part replacement or just being on the "wrong side"?

I guess to be clear, it's not specifically the RHD that makes them excluded from full coverage, it's that they are imported from outside of North America. The LHD German stuff isn't as common as the RHD Japanese stuff but it's still excluded just the same. PLPD only*. I put an * beside PLPD only because to get full coverage (generally speaking) on an import is costly and a pain in the ass.

ExtremeSi
08-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
GS300 body panels are plentiful but nobody will give me comprehensive for my Aristo.

FUCKING HORSE SHIT.

MR2 body panels are plentiful here as well, but they only do PLPD on RHD ones. I think the insurance companies just decided it was easier to blanket all RHD vehicles under the same rules.

DEATH2000
08-24-2013, 09:37 AM

I guess to be clear, it's not specifically the RHD that makes them excluded from full coverage, it's that they are imported from outside of North America. The LHD German stuff isn't as common as the RHD Japanese stuff but it's still excluded just the same. PLPD only*. I put an * beside PLPD only because to get full coverage (generally speaking) on an import is costly and a pain in the ass.
Fair enough. Its based off a 7 Series so internally, parts are identical, and base stuff like doors, trunk, hood are all identical.

Once I get a VIN ill call my insurance company and ask them.

zieg
08-24-2013, 11:57 AM
I got the same story from TD when I started asking about a supra. Same thing about not caring that body panels may or may not be the same etc, they really didn't want anything to do with it. Though to be fair, it's not just body panels they would have to worry about. Say I got hit on the side and damaged suspension/steering parts.. Could be a problem.