PDA

View Full Version : Genesis TPMS question

relyt92
08-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Hey all, I have an 09' Genesis Sedan with Tech package that comes with TPMS sensors OEM. I'm looking to purchase a set of winters and wondering if there are any negative effects other than a light on the dash if I skip buying the sensors? As in does anyone know if the TPMS system would tie into the traction control or stability control systems? If I can save $200+ when I'm already spending over $1000 and the only downside is a little light on the dash I'm fine with that, just don't want to run into unforeseen issues on it.

Thanks

dj_rice
08-15-2013, 10:12 PM
If its like the Nissan's TPMS system, then no it does not tie in to the TCS or anything.

If a dealership tells you otherwise, they are just trying to upsell you. I tell people all the time to just run without sensors to save the $400 on sensors and just put tape over the light

The only issue I see is to keep on top of your tire pressure every week or 2 and then when you do swap on the OEM rims back on, you will need to do a TPMS re-learn/reset

relyt92
08-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
If its like the Nissan's TPMS system, then no it does not tie in to the TCS or anything.

If a dealership tells you otherwise, they are just trying to upsell you. I tell people all the time to just run without sensors to save the $400 on sensors and just put tape over the light

The only issue I see is to keep on top of your tire pressure every week or 2 and then when you do swap on the OEM rims back on, you will need to do a TPMS re-learn/reset That's what I'm assuming it is, I just want to find out for sure before buying anything but don't know a for sure way to find out without asking the dealer who would of course try and upsell it saying I needed them.

dj_rice
08-18-2013, 04:35 PM
If you want, on Monday when I get to work, I can call our company Hyundai dealer in our auto group and ask for you.

Cos
08-18-2013, 06:26 PM

AE92_TreunoSC
08-18-2013, 07:06 PM
There is no other repercussion to running rims without TPMS other than the light staying on.

If there is truly a problem with wheel speed variance the ABS sensors will detect the issue, not a TPMS sensor.

TPMS is just a piggy back add on to most vehicles, it has no real bearing on anything except for a light.

I personally would never run TPMS for winters unless the vehicle specifically has the option for multiple tpms settings. Such as luxury cars and some trucks as cos mentioned.

If you install them, you'll have to have it reprogrammed twice a year, which is 50-60$ every freaking time.

relyt92
08-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
If you want, on Monday when I get to work, I can call our company Hyundai dealer in our auto group and ask for you.
That would be much appreciated!

Originally posted by Cos
I'd check on a Genesis forum for sure. Another thought would be to buy a set off Tire Rack and sometimes you can program them yourselves. Some ECU's can remember up to 8 sets of TPS codes. I know my Fords can if I want to get them turned on.

Also I highly doubt ANYTHING would be tied into the TPS sensors. If one fails (good pressure but switch fails and throws the TPS light) it isnt a critical part so it shouldnt put anything into safe mode. Would be stupid if you threw a TPS code 500km from home and it turned your car to shit.
I have asked on a Genesis forum but I'm not getting any concrete answers there. Seems nobody is 100% on it.

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
There is no other repercussion to running rims without TPMS other than the light staying on.

If there is truly a problem with wheel speed variance the ABS sensors will detect the issue, not a TPMS sensor.

TPMS is just a piggy back add on to most vehicles, it has no real bearing on anything except for a light.

I personally would never run TPMS for winters unless the vehicle specifically has the option for multiple tpms settings. Such as luxury cars and some trucks as cos mentioned.

If you install them, you'll have to have it reprogrammed twice a year, which is 50-60$ every freaking time.
That is definitely good to hear, and I never even considered the cost of getting the car reprogrammed every time I switch tires. Thanks!