PDA

View Full Version : Flatbedding a fairly low car

M.alex
08-16-2013, 10:32 PM
If you're unable to drive your car up onto a normal flatbed, and the car has no easily accessible points in order to grab onto to winch it up (and even if you could winch it up, you'd have to remove the front end in order for it to not dig into the ground), does anybody in town have a specialized one that can drop down and be flat with the road (so you could push your car onto it)?

Or some form of low profile mechanism that can slip underneath the tires and lift them up/secure them for towing purposes (I could have sworn I remember seeing a video of something like this that they used to nab people who were illegally parking, but they couldn't get access to the front or rear of the vehicle, so it slid under the tires)?

Modelexis
08-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Depends how low it is, you might not even need a flatbed if you can roll it up on a few blocks of wood in the front you could probably get the typical dolly legs under the front wheels.

I had an AMA guy tow my lowered car earlier this summer, before I called him I removed my front lip and raised the suspension as high as possible.

We rolled the front tires onto some blocks of wood and that was enough to slide the forks under the wheels, the same treatment for the rear and again to unload the car.

boarderfatty
08-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Call around for a low loader car carrier, they get pretty well flat to the ground, if you cant get a vehicle on one of these, you have a problem. They are rare to find, I am not from Calgary, so I don't know if there are any down there, but it could be worth calling around.

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w351/jordanturbo/a20791813e712cb306ddae_l_zpsc1005d70.jpg

theken
08-17-2013, 01:59 AM
There a self loader at city wide that should be able to get you

Phuqu
08-17-2013, 02:35 AM
I'm pretty sure we can flatbed it for you.

Less than 5 degree angle.

More information here for specs/measurements.

http://www.raceramps.com/trailer-ramp-buying-guide-calculator.aspx

These are the ramps we use.

http://www.raceramps.com/trailer-ramps-11-gt-two-piece.aspx

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg95/DanDanLongDan/1999%20Dodge%20Viper%20ACR/th_DSC03019_zps6f52d751.jpg (http://s246.photobucket.com/user/DanDanLongDan/media/1999%20Dodge%20Viper%20ACR/DSC03019_zps6f52d751.jpg.html)

Click on the thumb and you can see just how much room you have even with the Viper parked before driving up on ramps.

We also use Mac's Tie Downs for safe and damage free securing of the vehicle.

Shlade
08-17-2013, 05:41 AM
Saw you driving that supercar kit car thing a couple weeks ago by bridle wood

Damn near drove over the median

M.alex
08-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
Saw you driving that supercar kit car thing a couple weeks ago by bridle wood

Damn near drove over the median

You wouldn't be the first person to drive into/onto the median studying the car, lol :rofl:

Originally posted by theken
There a self loader at city wide that should be able to get you

I don't know much about tow trucks, but with a self loader while it's towing does the car have to have the front end angled downward sharply (like you see on the picture if you google it) or can it just be elevated just slightly so the car's front end is almost parallel to the road?

Originally posted by Phuqu
I'm pretty sure we can flatbed it for you.

Less than 5 degree angle.

More information here for specs/measurements.

The only 'problem' is if I need it it's because something bad has happened and I can't schedule it, not because it's time for paint, haha! :D

Reason I'm contemplating this is because I was on 22x yesterday and my solid state controller just blew (defective), which meant I lost all power to everything. Fortunately I tend to use the same parts on all my builds, so I was able to yank my 917's controller, do a roadside repair and swap it in and go, but it made me wonder it's say 6pm on a Friday, now what if I'm stuck, lol. If worse comes to worse I can remove the front end and be winched up onto a flatbed, but that takes a bit of effort.

vengie
08-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Pics of said car

max_boost
08-18-2013, 01:19 AM
What you finally done the race car???? Haha

Ichigo
08-18-2013, 04:38 PM
most of those haulers will probably used the patented 2x4 method of getting your low car up on the standard flatbed.

Phuqu
08-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Ichigo
most of those haulers will probably used the patented 2x4 method of getting your low car up on the standard flatbed.

That is why we use Race Ramps.

AndyL
08-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

You wouldn't be the first person to drive into/onto the median studying the car, lol :rofl:

On that note... is it blue and did ya get badly cutoff by a cn rail truck on 52 today?

Cuz if so... holy shit thats a nice whip ;)

M.alex
08-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Ichigo

problem 1 - no readily accessible winching points so you have to push it up using manual power :D

Originally posted by AndyL

On that note... is it blue and did ya get badly cutoff by a cn rail truck on 52 today?

Cuz if so... holy shit thats a nice whip ;)

No, it's white.

Graham_A_M
08-19-2013, 12:36 PM
^ Pics dude, pics... lets see this thing. Is it a GTM supercar or what?