View Full Version : Review: Smugglers Inn

Gondi Stylez
02-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Smuggler's Inn: Macleod Trail SE
Food: 9/10
Ambiance: 9.5/10
Service: 8.5/10
Price: 9/10

Was there last night for my B-day and was very pleased! Have heard good things about it and wasn't disappointed at all! Very good service, excellent food and very very nice atmosphere!

We ordered, Crab stuffed mushroom caps, buffalo chicken spring rolls to start, along with the soup and salad buffet! Main course I had the pepper corn steak mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, my GF had the roast beef also very good and my brother had the ribs which were the BEST i have ever tasted at a resturant only competition is Tony Romas! For the 3 of us with drinks and tip it came to $106! We got desert for free but they had some ones that sounded really good for like 4-5 bux!

Overall, excellent experience, definetly a go-again and I know in a few weeks my family and my GF's family are going for brunch there which my mom says is really really good, and shes a picky eater so Im lloking foward to that! I'll post my review for that when I go!

gwkwan
02-23-2004, 12:43 PM
i never been there
but i heard its pretty good place too
how is it comparin to keg

legendboy
02-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by gwkwan
i never been there
but i heard its pretty good place too
how is it comparin to keg

the keg doesn't compair imo.

Gondi Stylez
02-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

the keg doesn't compair imo.

:werd:

I like the ket alot but now that ive been here im verey happy! also the prices are better then the keg!

t3rry
02-23-2004, 12:56 PM
was plannin on going to the keg on saturday, i might have to chnage my plans :D:thumbsup:

rc2002
02-23-2004, 01:12 PM
I think Smuggler's is one of the best steak places in Calgary. The prime rib steak is topped with garlic butter! mmmmm...

legendboy
02-23-2004, 01:13 PM
man the keg sucks bad. the food isn't even good. can't figure out why people go there. you can have a better steak at earls

GTS Jeff
02-23-2004, 01:33 PM
smugglers is best known for their prime rib cuts.

B17a
02-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
The prime rib steak is topped with garlic butter! mmmmm...

:drool: That is the best artery clogging shit around! Sooo good!

Ajay
02-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Peppercorn Steak....that's what I get every time I go to Smugglers.

That shit melts in your mouth.

5.9 R/T
02-23-2004, 03:19 PM
I don't know why people like this place, I've never had good service, food quality, and they are very expensive taking all things into consideration. I've been there on more then a couple of occasions and have never left feeling that it was worth the money.

Ben
02-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
I don't know why people like this place, I've never had good service, food quality, and they are very expensive taking all things into consideration. I've been there on more then a couple of occasions and have never left feeling that it was worth the money.

All I have to say is "sucks to be you".

Your obviously that one person out of a thousand that has not liked it, they have been comended over and over for their quality.

Smugglers in is on my top 3 for favorite places to go in and around town.

and yeah, Comparing the Keg to Smugglers, thats like comparing Hyundai Accent to a Bently Arnage.

gpomp
02-23-2004, 03:39 PM
I don't like Smuggler's that much cuz it's run by high school kids. Also the last few times I've gone the food wasn't that great. Service is definitely not what their famous for... but better than Caesar's.

sleeper
02-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Oh ya. BBQ Beef Ribs MM Good. Thats the best on the menu at smugglers. Also good steak and salad bar. I eat there all the time

GT2NV
02-23-2004, 04:01 PM
smugglers in is amazing!!! good choice buddy:thumbsup:

B17a
02-23-2004, 04:12 PM

Wow, not trying to be a dick or anything, but there must be some vibe you give off or something. I've been there probably 50+ times, lunch, brunch, dinner etc. Always awesome food, always great service, I find their prices very reasonable for the quality and size.

BebeAphrodite
02-23-2004, 07:58 PM
I agree w/ 5.9
The place is too over rated
w/ bland bland food
Service wasn't too great either.
I've gone about 4 times to try different things
the salad bar was even boring, boring soups.
I'd say Mother Tuckers is a LITTLE bit better
but for steaks, Hys... MmmMMM
I even prefer Joeys/Moxies/Earls steaks to Smuggler steaks.
Food
3/5
Service 3/5
Ambience 3/5

szw
02-23-2004, 08:05 PM
Smugglers only good about 50% of time i find. Still like it though.

5.9 R/T
02-23-2004, 08:19 PM
About 5 years ago it was great, never had a problem with it, really good food and service, but it seems to have gone downhill since then. I wouldn't recommend it.

gpomp
02-23-2004, 08:22 PM
About 5 years ago it was great, never had a problem with it, really good food and service, but it seems to have gone downhill since then. I wouldn't recommend it.
:werd: This is very true.

Big_C_racing
02-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Only been to the place once, but it was the best steak i have ever had. Ordered the biggest steak they had....One of the best IMO.

boi-alien
02-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
I agree w/ 5.9
The place is too over rated
w/ bland bland food
Service wasn't too great either.
I've gone about 4 times to try different things
the salad bar was even boring, boring soups.
but for steaks, Hys... MmmMMM
I even prefer Joeys/Moxies/Earls steaks to Smuggler steaks.
Food
3/5
Service 3/5
Ambience 3/5 :werd: :werd:
i completely agree with CuteAsianAngel
I've been to the place on several occasions and what she said basically summed up my experience.

KELSTAR
02-23-2004, 11:06 PM
I have been there once and I sure can't complain! The prime rib was amazing! Well the whole meal was! And it is attached to Open Sesame! YUMM!

A2VR6
02-23-2004, 11:59 PM
Every time i hear the word Prime Rib and Smugglers inn i start to drool, that has to be the best shit ever. But i havent been there in a while so maybe it declined but i sure as hell hope not, because i havent tasted a prime rib thats as good.

FiveFreshFish
02-24-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel

Do they still give you a free dinner on your birthday? They used to, years ago.

CRXguy
02-24-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Do they still give you a free dinner on your birthday? They used to, years ago.

They still did last year for my friend's birthday.

CKY
02-24-2004, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
I don't like Smuggler's that much cuz it's run by high school kids.

are they really?!?!? or were you just being sarcastic?

but IMO, i think that place is one of the top steak houses in calgary. it was never known for it services, and who cares about the salad bar n soup. its the maincourse that counts :drool: , but the last time i was there i booked for a table of 6 at 7 o'clock on that afternoon and we ended up standing there til 8 before we got seated:whipped:

lam-boy
02-24-2004, 03:48 AM
smugglers is allright.

ribs are probably the only thing that is good.
service kinda blows.

at my friends birthday. i asked for a ginger ale. took about 10 mins to get. im sure the guy wanked off in my drink or something. no clue on why it took so long.

i was last to come to the table, because i had work. when i got there he asked if i wanted to order i said in a few mins. i kept waving for his stupid ass, and he still didn't give me light of day.
i got to order when my friends got their food.

i dont find their food to be the "best"
its average + at most.

salad bar = weak sauce.

403Gemini
02-24-2004, 12:14 PM
its my fav restaurant

ginger chicken and pasta = :drool:

Akagi Redsuns
02-24-2004, 12:29 PM
I think it depends when you go.

Once I went with some friends and we got fast service, food was generous and tasted great. Came back a few months later with a date and had horrideous service, took forever to get anything, drinks, ordering, anything. At least the food was still good, but I don't think I will going back there again after my last visit.

403Gemini
02-24-2004, 12:32 PM
which server givin you guys the most problems?

i had one experience where the guy just didnt have personality. the guy was around 5'10-6'0 black hair, a lil bit overweight (not fat, just a gut) and just was pretty much a robot.

izzoblitzo
02-24-2004, 12:45 PM
hahaha... have you guys seen the baseball steak at the keg?

its so thick, and black on the outside, and like, ice blue on the inside, cos its so thick.. hahaha

BebeAphrodite
02-26-2004, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by izzoblitzo
hahaha... have you guys seen the baseball steak at the keg?

its so thick, and black on the outside, and like, ice blue on the inside, cos its so thick.. hahaha
Sounds disgusting!

lam-boy
02-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
which server givin you guys the most problems?

i had one experience where the guy just didnt have personality. the guy was around 5'10-6'0 black hair, a lil bit overweight (not fat, just a gut) and just was pretty much a robot.

kinda bald, had a beard?

403Gemini
02-26-2004, 04:23 PM
^^^

nah guy i had was black hair parted to the side, looked like a rich dink lol

A790
02-18-2006, 03:58 PM
This is an old favourite for me. I've been to Smugglers many, many times over the years. Of course, my last trip was simply an excuse to post a review about it. That, and the fact that I was hungry.

Anyone who has lived in Calgary for any significant period of time has either been, or heard of this restaurant. I wouldn't go as far to say that it has an iconic presence, but I will say that it definately has a very established and trusted name. Though opinions are many, and varied, I still feel that this is one of the best spots in town. Never experieced? Read on.

Atmoshpere
Smugglers has a near-rustic, homey atmosphere. This is part of what makes this place such an eloquent place to dine. Make no mistake- when you are here, you are not "eating", you are dining.

The lighting is low, and in the perfect tone that would encourage a nice night out coupled with intimate conversation. If you've ever read some of my other reviews, you'd know that I hate poor lighting. In the front entrance is the fireplace, with tables on two of the four sides. Try and get a spot beside it, especially a cold winters day, as it makes your evening that much more enjoyable.

Taking a table or a booth will yield comfortable chairs, a good seat height, and a pleasant place to hang your hat for a while. The tables are wooden, and the white/brown theme accents them very well.

Food
Though I was there with 3 other people, I will only talk about what I personally ordered.

I was hungry. Really, really hungry. So, I looked at their menu and simply asked my server what the biggest piece of beef they had was. So it was ordered- the "Owner and Friends" cut. I'll come back to this in a moment.

I ordered a nice glass of red wine (A Canadian merlot I believe) and proceeding to have a soup/salad combo. Both the soup and the salad were simply average. That's fine, I expected that. I didn't come here for salad.

Approximately 20 minutes after ordering this piece of meat is placed in front of me. It was literalyl half of the cow. I could hardly contain my excitement! It was cooked perfectly (rare, just as I asked) and was presented very artisitcally with in seasons vegetables. My first bite propelled me into beefy-bliss that I would inhabit for the next thirty minutes. I didn't want to finish it simply because of the sheer size of it, but I also wanted to finish it just because of it's massive size. It was a double standard, and fortunately it meant that the meat wouldn't survive the night.

I finished it. All of it. The entire piece of meat. Wow... when you head to Smugglers, order the "Owner and Friends" cut and see for yourself the mountain that I conquered. I feel like a much better person now.

Service
The service was as you would expect from a fine dining establishment. Everything was good, and I can't find anything to complain about.

Overall
If you have never been, go. If you have gone, go again.

Food: 5/5
Service: 4.5/5
Price: 4/5
Overall: 4.5/5

Go, and enjoy your meal!

GoChris
02-18-2006, 04:18 PM
they have a wicked awesome brunch as well.

jcrules99
02-18-2006, 04:23 PM
its good food

my mashed potatoes and ribs were kinda cold though last time i went...

nonlinear
02-18-2006, 04:57 PM
wow... thread from the dead :eek:

but nice work not starting another one :D

88CRX
02-18-2006, 05:21 PM
mmmmmm ribs.... BEST RIBS EVAR!

Reading this thread is making my mouth water.

Sorath
02-18-2006, 05:42 PM
sunday brunch is the best bang for the buck, i worked there for a year

Mr_John
02-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Wow. haha sweet review A790!
I didnt enjoy my last visit there much but this review kinda makes me wanna go back... haha I feel the need to eat a 20pound steak now....
Mmmmmm :thumbsup:

HyperZell
02-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Mr_John
Wow. haha sweet review A790!
I didnt enjoy my last visit there much but this review kinda makes me wanna go back... haha I feel the need to eat a 20pound steak now....
Mmmmmm :thumbsup:

Dude, you almost owe it to yourself.

I absolutely love that place; the last time I went I had the stuffed mushroom caps for starters, which were out of this world. The salad/soup bar is a nice touch, but man - it's all about the steaks.

I too had the Friends and Owners cut, which I believe is a 28oz prime rib. It is massive, make no mistake - but man is every bite a dream. I finished it all in one sitting, and then had dessert too! The place is just that good...

A790
02-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Dude, you almost owe it to yourself.

I absolutely love that place; the last time I went I had the stuffed mushroom caps for starters, which were out of this world. The salad/soup bar is a nice touch, but man - it's all about the steaks.

I too had the Friends and Owners cut, which I believe is a 28oz prime rib. It is massive, make no mistake - but man is every bite a dream. I finished it all in one sitting, and then had dessert too! The place is just that good...

True that man, it's a huge piece of meat. But damn, is it worth it? Every tender, juicy, succulant bite says "yes"!

And mods, thanks for merging the thread!

Gondi Stylez
02-21-2006, 03:34 AM
"IM BACK"! awesome, i gotta go back...:drool: :drool:

three.eighteen.
02-22-2006, 02:40 AM
last time i went i ordered the porterhouse (biggest steak i could find) and it was the biggest fucking disappointment ever, tasted completely unseasoned and it was tough as shit too

ga16i
02-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Same here, went about 1 month ago, girl had the porterhouse medium rare and I had the bison rare. They both looked okay in color, but they were tough as nails. I can see that it's still red on the inside, must have used some shite beef or something. Definitely not worth the money judging by that experience. Those 2 plus 1 drink ran me ~$80

JordanEG6
02-22-2006, 09:43 PM
i went for the brunch on sunday. one of the BEST brunches i've had...and for the price..you cant go wrong. the food was GOOD.

GME
02-22-2006, 09:49 PM
i still vote Hys for best steak house

clem24
02-27-2006, 12:23 AM
I too agree that Smuggler's is waaaay over-rated. I've had prime rib there and the peppercorn steak. There was absolutely nothing spectacular about them. The prime rib was so chewy, I had trouble finishing it. The salad bar is really boring, and the soups are so bland (that "signature" beef soup tastes worse than the Campbell's chunky crap). The striploin steaks that I get from Costco are a zillion times better than the shit from Smugglers, and cheaper too, so not sure what I am paying for..?

All the people that really like Smugglers, where else have you been for steaks??