PDA

View Full Version : Need electrical help

LUDELVR
08-18-2013, 03:53 PM
A friend of mine tried to install a ceiling fan but I'm guessing that she didn't shut the breaker off seeing that it shorted and she saw a spark from the switch and now the fan and the light does not work. Would it be the switch that needs to be replaced or the fan/light? There's still power going to the room she said but seems like nothing to the light/fan.

firebane
08-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
A friend of mine tried to install a ceiling fan but I'm guessing that she didn't shut the breaker off seeing that it shorted and she saw a spark from the switch and now the fan and the light does not work. Would it be the switch that needs to be replaced or the fan/light? There's still power going to the room she said but seems like nothing to the light/fan.

did you reset the breaker?

Perfect Dark
08-18-2013, 04:05 PM
The light might be on a different circuit than the receptacles, check the breaker first.

LUDELVR
08-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Well, they reset the breaker and tried installing the old light and it doesn't work. All the other outlets still work.

hrdkore
08-19-2013, 08:49 AM
try looking at the switch, make sure to turn off breaker first. if anything you will probably install a new switch or get a tester to see if the wires are hot or not.

Tarrantula
08-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Look for a GFCI breaker in the bathroom and see if thats tripped.

speedog
08-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Tarrantula
Look for a GFCI breaker in the bathroom and see if thats tripped.
That's way out there in left field - didn't see any discussion regarding a bathroom up to your post.

MrSector9
08-19-2013, 10:23 AM
If she seen a spark from the switch, the switch or wiring to the switch is damaged (at the switch)

Tarrantula
08-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by speedog

That's way out there in left field - didn't see any discussion regarding a bathroom up to your post.

Not really out of left field at all. Its the next thing I would check if I was in her shoes. Depending on how the wiring in the house is done I would not be surprised if that was the problem.

Source?: Ive done this before and it was a GFCI plug that ended up being the problem, for me it was an exterior one that blew.

Crazyjoker77
08-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by speedog

It use to be common practice untill they changed the code recently. If the house had a en-suit bathroom you would wire it up first then go off the load side of the GFCI to protect the rest of the bedroom if you were only running one circuit. (why not put the rest of the bedroom on a GFCI protected circuit since you have to buy the plug or breaker anyway)

Now bedrooms require there own arc fault or combo breaker to meet code.(as of 2009)

You would be surprised how many service calls for no power turn out to be a tripped GFCI.

revelations
08-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

After the obvious has been checked - I would check for power at the switch first with a volt meter. If yes, you would have to pull the fan and see if there is AC at the lines connecting to the fan. Barring that, you will have to replace something on the fan.

HuMz
08-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Yeah lots of times off the load side of a GFCI it will power stuff in neighboring rooms, if that doesn't work call an electrician. Given your friend tried to install a ceiling fan without killing the breaker I'd venture to say she has no business dealing with electricity and I'd highly recommend someone check her splices and how the fan is actually supported.

The problem is people thinking they tackle any electrical related work just because its a form of construction. It's only when there house burns down because of faulty work they've done when they realize maybe they should have called a professional.

CD007
08-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Agreed. If you don't know how to troubleshoot basic electrical, you shouldn't be touching it at all.

codetrap
08-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by CD007
Agreed. If you don't know how to troubleshoot basic electrical, you shouldn't be touching it at all.
THIS x100.