PDA

View Full Version : Right Hand Turn

Bladeh
08-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Trying to find out what is the correct lane position to be in for taking a right hand turn from a stop sign, I'm figuring pulling over to the right side of the stop sign (right tire track), making the turn staying in correct lane position, then up to speed and shoulder check and signal to the dominant position of the road (just left of center line).

Maybe I'm dumb but I don't see this in the Riders Guide, taking the bike test on Weds :rolleyes:

Graham_A_M
08-18-2013, 05:54 PM
no thats how it should be done. Dont forget to read up on uncontrolled intersections. Those are very easy to blow through, to which you'll fail the test if you dont properly negotiate one. Make sure when taking your test you watch out for those.

Cos
08-18-2013, 06:21 PM

Seth1968
08-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I am just happy that you know you have to be in the right hand lane. Leaving my community people turn left across me then cut across into the right lane then either finger me or brake check me.

Just to be clear.

You're in the right hand lane turning right, and some fucking douche behind you cuts across to the left lane as you're trying to signal and go into the left lane?

Cos
08-19-2013, 12:20 AM

ExtremeSi
08-19-2013, 12:10 PM
I think the OP is asking about what position he is suppose to be in the actual lane when he is on a motorbike. I didn't think there was any law about this. Maybe I'm not understanding the question?:dunno:

then up to speed and shoulder check and signal to the dominant position of the road (just left of center line).
I don't understand this part

ercchry
08-19-2013, 12:15 PM
i was told after i took my road test that when turning right, get over to the right side of the lane early, this will block it off to people in cars trying to squeeze by you to turn right.

ercchry
08-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi

I don't understand this part

i think he is talking about a road with two lanes, and centre line being the white line that divides them

ExtremeSi
08-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

i think he is talking about a road with two lanes, and centre line being the white line that divides them

Oh I see. That makes more sense now.

firebane
08-19-2013, 12:55 PM
There are generally 3 lane positions riding a bike..
1) Left towards center lane
2) Middle of road
3) Right towards curb

Usually people will ride in position 1 or 2 depending on road conditions and then when you are making a right hand turn you get into position 3 as to do stated above prevent vehicles from coming up beside you to make the same turn.

Be aware tho when you are in the position to shoulder check quickly before making the turn for any unaware pedestrians or bicycle riders sneaking up on you.

Mibz
08-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
i think he is talking about a road with two lanes, and centre line being the white line that divides them I hope so. If you're signalling to change positions within a lane then you're confusing people around you.

ercchry
08-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I hope so. If you're signalling to change positions within a lane then you're confusing people around you.

and if you are riding just left of the centre line of a road, you are either in the wrong country... or a hazard :rofl:

snowcat
08-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by firebane
There are generally 3 lane positions riding a bike..
1) Left towards center lane
2) Middle of road
3) Right towards curb

Usually people will ride in position 1 or 2 depending on road conditions and then when you are making a right hand turn you get into position 3 as to do stated above prevent vehicles from coming up beside you to make the same turn.

Be aware tho when you are in the position to shoulder check quickly before making the turn for any unaware pedestrians or bicycle riders sneaking up on you.

You never ride in the middle of the road. Ever.

This is a part of the road that no one uses. Oils, debris, gravel end up here. Always take a strong lane position which is against the dotted line, closest to traffic in the same direction or opposite direction, depending on the road.

AG_Styles
08-19-2013, 02:15 PM
you ride in the center of a lane when it's raining and when the rain has been going on for a while. All the oil/gravel, dirt gets washed off into the sides of the lane, not to mention you get more tire contact onto the road in that scenario and less into water puddles.

ercchry
08-19-2013, 02:16 PM
not to mention he said middle of the road not lane :nut:

firebane
08-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by AG_Styles
you ride in the center of a lane when it's raining and when the rain has been going on for a while. All the oil/gravel, dirt gets washed off into the sides of the lane, not to mention you get more tire contact onto the road in that scenario and less into water puddles.

Riding in pooled water in grooved roads is ALWAYS fun :nut:

haggis88
08-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Dont forget to read up on uncontrolled intersections. Those are very easy to blow through, to which you'll fail the test if you dont properly negotiate one. Make sure when taking your test you watch out for those.

this x10000 :cry:

i failed first time round because of this...we don't really have them in the UK.

I slowed down and checked, but apparently the vehicle to your right retains right of way even if he stops!

i also got pulled up by the examiner for doing "too many" shoulder checks when pulling away from stationary

revelations
08-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by snowcat

You never ride in the middle of the road. Ever.

This is a part of the road that no one uses. Oils, debris, gravel end up here. Always take a strong lane position which is against the dotted line, closest to traffic in the same direction or opposite direction, depending on the road.

Spoken like someone who never rides in the rain.

(I'll stay out of the puddles, thx).

snowcat
08-20-2013, 01:45 AM
You guys are hilarious - stay out of puddles when you're already in the rain and wet? Get some better tires if you're afraid of a little puddle.

Go4Long
08-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Spoken like someone who never rides in the rain.

(I'll stay out of the puddles, thx).

if I have to choose between hitting a puddle and hitting the piece of wood, tire, or oil somneone's pinto dripped all over the road I'm going to choose the puddle every time thanks.

I ride in the rain a lot, I don't change my defensive riding habits on account of a couple puddles. If you don't want to get wet, leave the bike at home.

Bladeh
08-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Guess I'll start preparing to ride in puddles, passed the sucker this afternoon :thumbsup:

Graham_A_M
08-22-2013, 08:38 AM
^ I never ride in puddles, if I have to move around in the lane, or even switch lanes to avoid getting water/filth on the bike, I do.

No sense in needlessly making the bike dirty, just so I get the nod of approval if I was following a cop, or had one behind me. They couldn't care less if I have to switch to the middle or either side of the lane (etc).

toor
09-24-2013, 08:11 PM
During your test, you can get dinged for improper lane use so be sure to block the parts of the road that you need for maneuvers and maintain dominant lane position. Also keep in mind that any road with space for two vehicles qualifies as a "two lane" road even without painted lines, so pick an (imaginary) lane, signal/shouldercheck your way into it and own it.

Originally posted by Cos
LOL no, other way. I'm right to right. They are left hand turn through an intersection into far right lane.

Tricky stuff, my understanding is that the left-turners should technically yield as they are crossing a lane of traffic (this might depend on green arrow??) and they shouldn't be performing a potentially "unsafe lane change" (not outright illegal though) through the middle of an intersection... however if your right-to-right is posted with a yield, stop or red light, you'll be at fault as failing to yield is a "greater offence".