PDA

View Full Version : Anybody on beyond deal with Refrigerators Parts?

Darkane
08-19-2013, 06:29 PM
I have a Maytag Model: MSD2657HES Fridge.

This was the fridge that came with my house (It's about 9-10 years old). Esthetically it's still like a new fridge.

I 'Believe' I need a whole new Compressor kit and Refrigerant recharge. The fridge hasn't run for god knows how long. The compressor will not fire, and the switch and relay have all already been replaced.

Can anybody in the industry roughly price out a full compressor kit and labour for this model? I'm not sure anyone on Beyond does this kind of work but I'm going to make a whole bunch of Local calls tomorrow.

Thanks

turbotrip
08-19-2013, 07:00 PM
check reliableparts

Darkane
08-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Yeah. Trail deals with them, gonna see if can swing something there.

Maxt
08-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Do you hear a cycling click noise from the compressor every 3 or 4 minutes? No, then check for voltage at the compressor ( If the condenser fan motor beside the compressor is running, it has voltage), if it has voltage, unplug it, remove the start relay from the compressor and ohm out the compressor, terminals C, S and R, should be marked, ohm between S and C . then R and C, record the ohm values(values between s and c, then r and c added should roughly equal values between s and r pins. If any pins are open between any 2 or have continuity to ground its electrically had it. If its just clicking(cycling on the overload) and not starting , chances are its seized or you could get lucky trying a start relay and cap... You could try a hard start kit on if you want, I can get one to your Brother if you want to try it.

Most times its not worth working on these fridges, especially at refrigeration mechanic rates.. Appliance guys are cheaper but probably not by much..

parts: http://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-8201557-Compressor-for-Refrigerator/dp/B0053F9ZDK

I would estimate that job at around 800.00 based on the amazon price.
99% of all domestic fridge problems are related to the defrost timer/defrost control board.

Darell_n
08-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Being a refrigeration guy, if you need a new compressor then throw the fridge out. I wouldn't replace my own.

Darkane
08-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks Max. You're right I'm guessing around 800 as well.

As per Darell I think I'm going to scrap it. I've been back and forth to many times with this fridge.

My 18cuft Frigidaire for 300 bucks off of kijiji has been awesome so far. lol

Thanks guys.