PDA

View Full Version : T12 40W Burning out with new auto-motion switch instal.

Darkane
08-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Next project for me is to figure out the dammed lights in the mud room.

So An auto-motion switch went into the mudroom and at first the T12 40W (4ft) lamps worked great.

Burned out within the week. Ok fluke I thought.

New set from Lowes lasted 2 days. In fact when I installed them they flickered right from the get go and did not seem to run to full lumination.

Any Ideas? short of changing lamps once a week I need to fix this.

suntan
08-19-2013, 08:11 PM
You must make sure the sensor is ballast compatible. Many are not.

Darkane
08-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by suntan

Yes I heard something about that actually. Is there any way to tell physically? I threw out the packaging and don't quite remember the brand name. I'll try to find some more info.

Thanks man.

TomcoPDR
08-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by suntan

Originally posted by Darkane

Yes I heard something about that actually. Is there any way to tell physically? I threw out the packaging and don't quite remember the brand name. I'll try to find some more info.

Thanks man.

Digital or ballast compatible (iirc). Leviton, but around $80-100 (instead of the Home Depot incandescent $30)

Try Eecol or electrical speciality stores, my electrician picked mine up for T8 ballast; yeah the Home Depot ones will make them flaker and burn the tubes quick (within weeks)

Darkane
08-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Digital or ballast compatible (iirc). Leviton, but around $80-100 (instead of the Home Depot incandescent $30)

Try Eecol or electrical speciality stores, my electrician picked mine up for T8 ballast; yeah the Home Depot ones will make them flaker and burn the tubes quick (within weeks)

Thanks Tomco.

I'll check it out.

codetrap
08-20-2013, 11:07 AM
I bought a digital/ballast compatible one from HD that was in the $30 range. Works just fine with LEDs in it.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/maestro-small-room-occupancy-sensing-switch/991493