PDA

View Full Version : Guys Who Load The Planes

sexualbanana
08-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Are the guys who load the bags onto the planes airline staff or airport staff?

I just flew back from NYC with a connector in Toronto and apparently the baggage guys in Toronto forgot a cart that carried like 80% of the passenger's bags. So now I'm sitting at home waiting for a call that they're about to deliver my luggage

jdmakkord
08-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Toronto baggage is handled by a 3rd party contractor, not airline staff.

Lanks
08-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Toronto baggage is handled by a 3rd party contractor, not airline staff.

Depends on the airline I guess.. AC staff does baggage in YYZ

B20EF
08-19-2013, 09:26 PM
My buddy here in Calgary worked for Westjet as a baggage thrower. He got all the same perks like free flights whereever they fly.

KrisYYC
08-20-2013, 08:05 AM
Depends on the airport and airline. AC handles their own in YYZ while Westjet contracts out. I believe Westjet only does their own ground handling here in YYC and YLW I think.

rage2
08-20-2013, 09:02 AM
It's funny how the rules state you MUST travel with your baggage, they'll hold a plane because someone's not there and their baggage is in the hold, and force an unload of 1 suitcase causing a ridiculous delay. Yet, they can forget 80% of a flight's baggage lol.

Maxx Mazda
08-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by rage2
It's funny how the rules state you MUST travel with your baggage, they'll hold a plane because someone's not there and their baggage is in the hold, and force an unload of 1 suitcase causing a ridiculous delay. Yet, they can forget 80% of a flight's baggage lol.

Thank the Air India bombers for that...

austic
08-20-2013, 09:47 AM
I like how they can throw your bag on an earlier flight without telling you. My bag showed up in calgary an hour before I did last time I flew back from Vancouver

skandalouz_08
08-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Just be happy you didn't have this guy loading your baggage!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tPzRPga6uDg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EDIT: Embedding doesn't seem to be working, or at least I can't see it at work. Here is the link.

http://youtu.be/tPzRPga6uDg

Tik-Tok
08-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by austic
I like how they can throw your bag on an earlier flight without telling you. My bag showed up in calgary an hour before I did last time I flew back from Vancouver

Happened to me going into Memphis. Bag arrived 2 hours before I did, and was put in the baggage claims room. However by the time I got there, no one was working in baggage claims anymore, and no one was around to tell me it was there FFS.

bspot
08-20-2013, 10:21 AM
So are they only 3rd party contractors at the airports that have all the drugs and weapons going through them?

Maxx Mazda
08-20-2013, 10:21 AM
You can not voluntarily separate a bage from a passenger. It's not rocket science guys...

KrisYYC
08-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Baggage is not allowed to travel ahead of the passenger. The passenger can however travel ahead of their baggage. Those are the rules in Canada at least. There are some exceptions but not many.

If you check a bag and don't show up for your flight the bag will be pulled off the plane usually causing a delay.

sexualbanana
08-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by rage2

That's what gets me. All the passengers (myself included) were at the carousel when it started up. 15, maybe 20 bags, popped out and then the screen at the carousel says that all the bags have been unloaded. I think to myself that can't be right because so few bags came out. There's easily at least 100 people still standing around the carousel for another 30 minutes waiting, until everyone starts going to the baggage services people.

I would think that one of the baggage handlers would've looked at the plane and though 'Gee, there sure is a lot of empty space here. Maybe we forgot some.'

KrisYYC
08-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

That's what gets me. All the passengers (myself included) were at the carousel when it started up. 15, maybe 20 bags, popped out and then the screen at the carousel says that all the bags have been unloaded. I think to myself that can't be right because so few bags came out. There's easily at least 100 people still standing around the carousel for another 30 minutes waiting, until everyone starts going to the baggage services people.

I would think that one of the baggage handlers would've looked at the plane and though 'Gee, there sure is a lot of empty space here. Maybe we forgot some.'

They would (or should) have noticed an oddly light load. Something tells me a decision was made by the airline's ops for some reason. Could have been several reasons. One potential scenario that pops out in my head is that the flight and or cabin crew operating your YYZ-YYC segment was close to reaching their max duty time if they didn't depart ASAP. Ops would have made the decision to go without the bags instead of cancelling the whole flight.

Flights between YYC and YYZ are usually pretty hammered year round on both WestJet and AC so I doubt the rampers were totally unaware and simply forgot that many bags.