PDA

View Full Version : Calling in sick.

OU812
08-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Just wondering how many of you guys call in sick to work when you arent?

Do you do it because you can? Is there any incentive where you work to not be sick? IE your sick days become flex days if not taken etc?

This came up at coffee this afternoon. I have never done it but it seems to be a new norm of the "I'm entitled" generation.

Discuss

vengie
08-20-2013, 07:41 PM
You're hired and paid to do a job that you committed to. Be a man and show up.

Disoblige
08-20-2013, 07:42 PM
I typically never take sick days (lucky that I'm rarely sick), but I'm pissed that a lot of lazy people at my work take it because they're lazy.

The company also does not give ANY incentive to not be sick. If you aren't sick and don't use any sick days, you lose em. You use em, you get paid. Makes no fucking sense.

I'm sure that it was a total coincidence that all the brown people at work were "sick" during EID too :rolleyes:

It makes me want to take sick days just because I can. But I don't because I don't want to be a leech to my work.

I wish I worked for a company that paid 10 sick days regardless if you were sick or not. That makes it fair so people can't abuse it.

Modelexis
08-20-2013, 07:47 PM
I don't get sick often but when I do I tough it out for a day and if I feel like taking a day is needed and will prevent others from getting sick I'll take a day.
My work will sometimes grant car trouble as a sick day which is nice, keeps people honest when they call in.

I see fake sick days morally as a sort of fraud. it's pretty widely accepted and you can't really blame people for doing it. makes perfect sense, easy day off.

Tik-Tok
08-20-2013, 07:51 PM
I've taken 3 sick days in 10.5 years of employment at my current job. Was definitely sick for them.

I've only called in sick once in my life when I wasn't psychically ill, but it was after 7 weeks of a 9 week tour in the middle of nowhere. I needed a mental health day.

AE92_TreunoSC
08-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Sometimes people need days off and can't give enough notice. I see nothing wrong with it. But I will NEVER call in sick on a friday haha, they always seem suspicious and doesn't look good, even if you are truly sick.

eblend
08-20-2013, 08:08 PM
I have done it maybe 3 times in 8 years. I just didn't feel like going in at all, was very demotivated, or burned out, or something came up last minute and I really needed to be away. I always consider if my absence will bring any hardship in those odd times I called in sick when I wasn't. I hardly ever call in sick when I am actually sick. I have been told a few times to just go home as they don't want me to make anyone else sick. If it's just a cold or whatever I am always at work, but if I get a fever or something, I take the time off. I think in those 8 years I had about 1.5w of actual sickness, and each time I was away for 3 or 4 days at a time, because I was genuinely sick as a dog. My current place is pretty good about this, but at the old company people used to call in sick once a week, sickening.

benyl
08-20-2013, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Sometimes people need days off and can't give enough notice. I see nothing wrong with it.

Be a MAN and take a vacation day. That is what you "need" and it has nothing to do with being sick. Anything else is fraud.

spikerS
08-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Sometimes people need days off and can't give enough notice. I see nothing wrong with it. But I will NEVER call in sick on a friday haha, they always seem suspicious and doesn't look good, even if you are truly sick.

Werd.

Never call in sick on a monday or friday or any day right after / before a vacation. looks way too suspicious.

If I really am sick on a monday or friday, I will go in anyways, one look from the boss, and he sends me home. I figure that way, at least there are no questions.

FraserB
08-20-2013, 08:16 PM
I get x amount of PTO per year, I can use it for whatever I want. No “sick" days. But I have been sent home for being sick more than I've called in sick.

lasimmon
08-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Only when I feel I'm sick enough that I will get others sick.

ExtraSlow
08-20-2013, 08:57 PM
This whole thing is funny to me. I've been out of university for ten years now, and I haven't called in sick a single day that I wasn't actually sick. If I take a sick day, I'm sick. Monday, Friday, i don't care, I take a sick day when I'm sick, which is probably two days per year. I get given a lot of vacation days, and if I'm planning on going out drinking, I book a day off afterwards and use it as a vacation day.

One thing you don't want to be is one of those guys who comes to the office when you are actually sick but want to act tough. that just gets other people sick, and doesn't help anyone.

lilmira
08-20-2013, 09:09 PM
I only take sick days when I'm sick which is usually less than a handful a year.

+1 for not spreading whatever you have in the office.

zieg
08-20-2013, 09:24 PM
At my company, face time in the office doesn't really matter as much since we all travel so much anyway. Personally, I have never in my life taken a sick day if I wasn't sick. But I guess there wouldn't really be any incentive not to, as long as I still get all my shit done. But I work my ass off anyway, so :dunno:

tobslau
08-20-2013, 09:51 PM
+2 to not coming in if you are sick to prevent spreading it

Nothing good will happen if you come in, don't get any work done because you can't focus and then get others sick.

I haven't taken a sick day in the past couple of years, but I prefer to give the benefit of doubt to those who call in sick.

That being said, while there is no explicit incentive for calling sick where I work, I know you are still paid if you call in.

Alot of my american friends treat sick days as holidays though haha, but they are told directly that they have 10 sick days a year.

Kloubek
08-20-2013, 10:03 PM
I get migraine headaches occasionally which makes it *very* difficult to work sometimes. I almost always tough it out but sometimes I really do need a sick day because it also tends to make me want to puke and gives me the sweats, etc.

When I have a cold, etc, I don't take time off for it unless it is ridiculously bad. I have my own office so it is less likely to spread it around.

When I do take a sick day I feel really bad about it - even though I work my ass off daily and I'm literally do two people's jobs without extra pay.... it still seems like unless I'm on my death bed I should make that extra effort to struggle through the day.

SmAcKpOo
08-20-2013, 10:45 PM
I get migraines quite often and I am unable to look at a monitor for very long. I use probably too many sick days but I am legitimately sick for them. I end up just working from home anyways.

mr2mike
08-20-2013, 10:51 PM
Can't stand those superhero's who think they can tough out a cold at work and make 3 people on the floor sick while doing it.
Meanwhile, they can claim they haven't taken a sick day for years.... good on you fuck face. :thumbsdow

HomespunLobster
08-20-2013, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Can't stand those superhero's who think they can tough out a cold at work and make 3 people on the floor sick while doing it.
Meanwhile, they can claim they haven't taken a sick day for years.... good on you fuck face. :thumbsdow

Why can't those 3 people man up and come to work? Spread the infection, everyone gets sick, but in the end everyone builds an immune system towards it.

Healthy people get sick, unhealthy people get sicker. Something minor to me might be devastating to someone else.

I've called in sick days before, can't say many were valid. Worked in a shop where everyone revolved through the H1N1 scare. Worked out nicely with some video game releases. I wasn't going to not take a free couple days off like everyone else

triplep
08-21-2013, 07:13 AM
Oh, are you talking about females who call in sick and aren't actually sick and just on their rags?

I worked with a girl and she did this every month. Her theory was that she was a 'big bitch' during this one day, so she rather not come into work. Which I find complete bullshit, while everyone else worked away regardless.

YCB
08-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Sicks days are yours to use.. if you don't use them.. you lose them.. like a sucker..

Sick days are key, esp. when you give 2 weeks notice.

My HR lady said when I got hired.. "sometimes if you don't feel like coming in, take a sick day". Even she didn't like coming in some days.
Take advantage of this however, people will notice.

Plus you need a doctors note if you are sick for more than 3 days.. in that case 20 bux and you can have 4 days off :devil: :D

austic
08-21-2013, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike

AMEN :clap:

Happens every cold season... next thing you know the office sounds like a symphony of disease

Kijho
08-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Think I get sick once a year maybe... but being so, I'm pretty much sleeping in the washroom for the night/ day having popsicles to stay alive :barf: .. then I definitely use it.

speedcat
08-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
I get x amount of PTO per year, I can use it for whatever I want. No “sick" days.

Same here. My company switched to Personal Time Off days a few years ago, taking away 8 maximum sick days and giving 5 more vacation days to use when needed. Works out great if you are not a 'sickie'. No excuses needed - employees don't need to come up with them and employers don't have to hear them.

ekguy
08-21-2013, 08:14 AM
i don't get paid when im sick so i barely ever miss work. but because im a contractor if i want a day off i just take one. no biggie.

once im done school i'll be working in a field i love so chances are i won't ever take sick days when im not actually sick, and since im almost never sick i'll probably never be take any.

speedog
08-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by YCB
Sicks days are yours to use.. if you don't use them.. you lose them.. like a sucker..

Sick days are key, esp. when you give 2 weeks notice.

My HR lady said when I got hired.. "sometimes if you don't feel like coming in, take a sick day". Even she didn't like coming in some days.
Take advantage of this however, people will notice.

Plus you need a doctors note if you are sick for more than 3 days.. in that case 20 bux and you can have 4 days off :devil: :D
Well, certainly I wasn't raised to think the way YCB does and I didn't raise my kids that way either.

But there are a lot of people out there that believe that they always need to work the system to their advantage - odd thing is that after being a working man for 30+ years now in a variety of positions including grunt, management, local union president/shop steward and now small business owner with employees, I can say that the ones who work the system aren't really getting away with it in the end.

Working the system may appear as a way to get back at the man, but in the end the man is always watching. Over the years I have seen many who've worked the system be passed over for promotions/transfers/whatever and they wonder why they getting screwed. Things as simple as requesting time off for a simple doctor's appointment gets denied while they guy in the next door cubicle has no problem getting that same request approved - the difference, one works the system to their advantage without fail (taking those supposeded sick days off) while the other works within the system.

Now as a small business owner with a handful of employees, I am the watcher and it's not difficult to see who's working the system and who's not and trust me, the ones who don't work the system get far more rewards and leniency than the ones that do.

Yeah, there'll be those that will bleat how they still get the promotions/perks/etc while taking advantage of the sicks days/whatever you want to call the, but the overall average is the person who doesn't screw the pooch will be far more valuable to any company than one that does. So yupp, carry on believing that you're smarter than the rest because you've worked the system but averages will bear me out on what I've posted above.

DeleriousZ
08-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster

Why can't those 3 people man up and come to work? Spread the infection, everyone gets sick, but in the end everyone builds an immune system towards it.

Healthy people get sick, unhealthy people get sicker. Something minor to me might be devastating to someone else.

I've called in sick days before, can't say many were valid. Worked in a shop where everyone revolved through the H1N1 scare. Worked out nicely with some video game releases. I wasn't going to not take a free couple days off like everyone else

http://matriculatedmummy.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/jaguars-fan-confused-wtf.gif

403ep3
08-21-2013, 09:02 AM
I've either been a student working PT or been a contractor.. I don't call in sick unless I'm SUPER sick.

Hah calling in sick.. people that work in hospitals that are in unions do that a lot. Not naming any particular professions ;)

yellowsnow
08-21-2013, 09:10 AM
If you're sick, please don't come into work. I don't want to see your snot, mountains of tissues around your desk, hear you blow your nose, cough, sneeze, barf. Some people think their boss would pat them on the back for 'toughing' it out.

turbotrip
08-21-2013, 10:17 AM
i take sick days whenever i dont feel like coming to work (generally about 5-7 days a year). my boss encourages it though

holden
08-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by speedcat

Same here. My company switched to Personal Time Off days a few years ago, taking away 8 maximum sick days and giving 5 more vacation days to use when needed. Works out great if you are not a 'sickie'. No excuses needed - employees don't need to come up with them and employers don't have to hear them.

I believe my company is planning to move to the same plan. It seems like a good solution to reward those that don't take sick days. The only issue I see is people stockpiling days towards the end of the year in fear of getting sick and not having days to use, then having to use a bunch of days in December. Might make it more difficult for resource planning.

I've heard that some large corporations pay insurance companies in advance for employee sick days. For example, they pay X amount of dollars to the insurance company for 7 sick days per employee at the beginning of the year. For each day an employee takes off sick, they get compensated from the insurance company (to make up for lost revenue).

FraserB
08-21-2013, 12:00 PM
^ We don't have our unused time taken away at the end of the year, we can keep accruing it. There are apparently some people who have 500+ hours stashed away.

Sugarphreak

Boosted131
Never use them myself, looks good when you always at work... 15 vacation days is enough for me

Tomaz
08-21-2013, 12:08 PM
I usually miss about 7-12 days of work each year. Some due to sickness, but more due to being snowed in and cant escape the house for a few days.

I am salary, and my boss understands my location hinders my abilities sometimes, so we have a pretty good understanding. I always offer to use up my vacation days to account for the lost time, but he hasn't used them.

CapnCrunch
08-21-2013, 12:23 PM
I do both. Sometimes I'm sick, sometimes I'm really tired, sometimes I just need a day off. I don't take them when I'm needed to be at work, and I also don't get paid for them, so no harm no foul imo.

nickyh
08-21-2013, 12:57 PM
I rarely call in sick, but when I do it's because I've been up most of the night with a migraine (the kind where meds do nothing) or had a fever.

I have the option to work from home 2-3 times per month and I do use that, and I find I am way more productive at home than actually being in the office.

Mitsu3000gt
08-21-2013, 02:35 PM
I think I've called in sick only once in 7 years working a "real" job. Unless I'm pretty much dying I still come into work. Extra diligent with washing my hands and staying confined to my office if I am at work still sick. I also seem to only get sick once per year (knock on wood). I haven't had a cold in almost 2 years.

When I used to work my first job back in the day 10+ years ago I saved all my sick days when I needed to go do something fun, and came to work no matter how sick I was.

megavolt
08-21-2013, 04:18 PM
I get sick all the time unfortunately and it usually lasts a while, but luckily I've got a job where I can work from home.

I only code sick time if I'm 'can't get out of bed sick'. Even then I check my email whenever I wake up for emergencies at the office.

R!zz0
08-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
i take sick days whenever i dont feel like coming to work (generally about 5-7 days a year). my boss encourages it though

You have a great boss :rofl:

Anyone called in tired instead of sick?

baygirl
08-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0

Anyone called in tired instead of sick?
I work nights and have actually called in tired when I haven't slept during the day. Beats me going to work and finally giving into my fantasy of either burning everything with fire or killing a customer because I am tired and cranky.

*Disclaimer* I have only called in tired when it doesn't affect anyone else.

Bladeh
08-21-2013, 08:56 PM
We have a fellow co-worker who takes the full amount of 20 sick days we have each year, then brags because he has 45 days vacation and can't seem to take them for some reason............ I bloody wonder why!

Usually take 3-5 a year, most of them are for doctor appointments which we are allowed to use sick days.

btimbit
08-21-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm a chef so it's kinda gross if I'm fully functional when I'm sick, but I still go in and catch up on office work.

Lots of employees here are young so I get a lot of BS 'sick' calls. If I doubt them, I ask for a doctors note. Usually weeds out the fakers. Myself, I've never called in sick.

Neil4Speed
08-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by triplep
I worked with a girl and she did this every month. Her theory was that she was a 'big bitch' during this one day, so she rather not come into work. Which I find complete bullshit, while everyone else worked away regardless.

Some people disagree!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/russian-lawmaker-proposes-days-off-for-menstruating-women/article13572789/

lilmira
08-22-2013, 01:13 PM
It's to avoid bear attack.

tfboOt1bJcA

clem24
08-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Bladeh
We have a fellow co-worker who takes the full amount of 20 sick days we have each year, then brags because he has 45 days vacation and can't seem to take them for some reason............ I bloody wonder why!

Usually take 3-5 a year, most of them are for doctor appointments which we are allowed to use sick days.

20 fucking sick days??? That's 4 weeks!! More than what some people get in vacation!

Sugarphreak
08-23-2013, 02:40 PM

Dave P
08-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

SEXISM!!!

If chicks get time off for this, then men need time off for instrument servicing

I would rather goto work then bleed from my crotch. Anyday of the week.

Type_S1
08-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Some people disagree!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/russian-lawmaker-proposes-days-off-for-menstruating-women/article13572789/

Out of all places Russia!? I would think that would be the last place!

As for sick days, I only called in sick when I had a job I hated. Once I got a professional job the only sick day I had was when I was in the hospital.

Everyone notices the people who "work" the system in the office. From my experience, these seem to be the people who say they don't get paid enough, get lower bonus's and lower salary increases. Jeeze, wonder why? I can understand though because I have always noticed the people calling in sick tend to not enjoy their job so I can relate when I had my crappy call center job!

dirtsniffer
08-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

SEXISM!!!
If chicks get time off for this, then men need time off for instrument servicing

The girl may get the day off, but who does it really benefit? Everyone else, cause no one has to put up with their crazy shit during those couple days.

Also, if this happened and some lady was being a cunt at the office you could say? are you menstruating, you should go home... :poosie:

Sugarphreak
08-23-2013, 03:46 PM

jaylo
08-23-2013, 06:35 PM
We have a guy that has taken at least 10 sick days so far because his wife has cancer and he calls in sick when the wife is not feeling good

The guy itself is sick (high blood pressure) and my boss is having a hard time firing him because he could get sued (I assume)

But a big FU to the people that tough it out and comes to work and gets everyone sick (it has happened before in my team, closed quarters service desk environment)

Maybelater
08-23-2013, 07:16 PM
I've taken all but a single sick day my whole working life and that was because I was hospitalized. :bigpimp:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Have had 2 sick days in my working career after SAIT, both times I was legitametly sick enough that I couldn't have done my job properly and it was after every other person that I work with had it.

Unknown303
08-23-2013, 08:08 PM
I never take sick days. I'm far to important to be away from work.

The_Rural_Juror
08-23-2013, 09:24 PM
I wish I could call in gassy.

Sentry
08-24-2013, 09:49 AM
I would say I call in sick about 5-7 times a year. Sometimes I'm sick sometimes I'm not, but I don't get paid for them anyway...

Gainsbarre
08-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Only called in sick twice in eight years and both instances it was for a job interview at the next company I went to work for :D . I put in overtime to make up for the lost days anyways.

I consider myself fortunate to be healthy in that I seldom get sick (maybe once every 3 years). I'd rather be this way than get sick and have to use sick days more frequently.

civic_stylez
08-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Im commission based so by not coming to work i only hurt my income. That being said, when I need a day, i take a day. I find im more productive when my mind and body are rested and on point. Being exhausted is the fastest way to illness that will cost you more days off so when im beat ill take a day to watch tv or hit the trails on the mountain bike.

Darkane
08-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Unwritten rule we're not allowed sick days in my position lol

Actually surprised people take tired days. Not my thing.

botox
08-24-2013, 01:14 PM
I call in sick a handful of times a year to watch the kids if one of them get sick. I've never been a fan of sick days but because some people abuse it, I don't feel bad at all for calling in sick a few times a year. We used to get an incentive for not calling in sick more than a few times a year, but that ended a few years ago. I also have pretty bad hay fever so people mistaken it for a cold but anyone that knows me, knows it's not.

M.alex
08-25-2013, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
Only called in sick twice in eight years and both instances it was for a job interview at the next company I went to work for :D . I put in overtime to make up for the lost days anyways.

I consider myself fortunate to be healthy in that I seldom get sick (maybe once every 3 years). I'd rather be this way than get sick and have to use sick days more frequently.

Yea, but think of your co-workers! You call in sick, then show up at 7pm when I was still at the office and proceeded to act all sick like, making me worry I might catch a cold or something, lol. Such sneaky trickeries!!! :rofl:

95EagleAWD
08-26-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm unionized with no raises/benefits based on performance, so if I don't feel like coming to work for whatever reason, sick, didn't get any sleep, etc., then I call in sick. I'll straight up tell my boss I didn't sleep and that's okay.

That's the way my boss wants it. No sense in being at work if your'e not mentally at work. That's how people get hurt.

b_t
08-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Is everyone on here pretending to be a keener because they are posting from their work computer?

95EG6P
08-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by b_t
Is everyone on here pretending to be a keener because they are posting from their work computer?
lol :werd:

HiTempguy1
08-26-2013, 06:15 PM
For the most part, companies/bosses don't give a shit about you. I haven't ever took more than 3 sick days in a year (legitimately sick), but I'm thinking that is about to change. If it actually affected my capacity for moving up the ranks, my answer would be different.

b_t
08-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
For the most part, companies/bosses don't give a shit about you. I haven't ever took more than 3 sick days in a year (legitimately sick), but I'm thinking that is about to change. If it actually affected my capacity for moving up the ranks, my answer would be different.

bingo

Putting your body in your chair every day is important no doubt but the volume and quality of your work still comes above all else.

I'm up to 10 sick days this year, all legit due to a shitty rental house full of mould and mouse shit and god knows what else that has murdered my immune system, but I don't feel like it puts me at a disadvantage vs. my coworkers when it comes to raise and bonus season. If am home sick I am still remote in to the office, doing what work I can.. which if my internal customers followed my system and sent me everything electronically, is everything I can do while at the office

rx7boi
08-27-2013, 11:54 AM
I don't like calling in sick over a small cough, but had a habit of trying to tough it out. Over time I just learned to stay home if necessary instead of infecting everyone, but it was hard because I was in a role where I couldn't work from home and where others couldn't do what I did.

Bosses never gave me shit if I called in because I was a top performer and even when I was sick, I was outperforming the rest of the chumps on my team. Thank god for performance metrics and statistics.

I got noticed, and those who abused sick days and/or called in on "convenient sick days" got passed over for promotions and raises.

The people I hate the most are those that show up to work just for "show." If you're going to show up and pretend like you're a good worker and then go home after 45 minutes, then save the bullshit and just stay home. :guns:

Tik-Tok
08-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Ok, after 4 days of houseboating the Shuswap, today was the closest I've ever come to calling in sick, without having a virus, lol.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Honestly, for me it's more about not fucking over my co-workers. I'm not a small cog in a massive machine. One of us takes an unexpected day off can seriously effect the others around him. They don't do it to me, so I don't do it to them.

HiTempguy1
08-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Ok, after 4 days of houseboating the Shuswap, today was the closest I've ever come to calling in sick, without having a virus, lol.

Honestly, for me it's more about not fucking over my co-workers. I'm not a small cog in a massive machine. One of us takes an unexpected day off can seriously effect the others around him. They don't do it to me, so I don't do it to them.

I'm also not a small cog in a big machine, but my company doesn't run on ridiculously tight timelines so everything isn't so 'critical'.

I guess it cares on how much you care/your company policies. Myself missing a couple extra days in the year does not affect my overall yearly productivity, I always finish my work load (early).

lasimmon
08-29-2013, 01:00 PM
http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/08/29/quebec-government-workers-used-most-sick-days-in-2012-watchdog

Anyone else not surprised? :rofl:

Tik-Tok
08-29-2013, 01:06 PM
You should hear the scam the local Nav Canada guys have going (allegedly, as this is second hand info). Every Friday someone takes a paid sick day, so that another person can come in for overtime. If you don't play ball, and don't take your "sick day", they push you out of your job. :banghead:

OmgSC400
09-07-2013, 05:20 PM
I hate people calling in sick ( especially in retail). But sure is funny when they get caught , and looking healthier then ever

cancer man
09-14-2013, 06:42 AM
I believe if i get sick..I should spread the love.
Bunch of pussies in the work force,wait till you have kids and they bring home everything.Suck it up.

ianmcc
09-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
You should hear the scam the local Nav Canada guys have going (allegedly, as this is second hand info). Every Friday someone takes a paid sick day, so that another person can come in for overtime. If you don't play ball, and don't take your "sick day", they push you out of your job. :banghead:

I read in Macleans magazine about the O/T audit in Calgary Transit. Sounds like a similar scam being run.

I had a co-worker who was totally obsessed with germs. Took anti-biotics for every sniffle, used hand sanitizer all the time and used two pens to type on the shared terminals. Funny how he had like 15 sick days a year and was always coming in to work sick.

AndyL
09-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Wait until you hear about nursing and flex days and triple ot ;) same thing - one calls in sick every friday one gets triple ot - get a bunch of money hungry RNs on a floor and we pay out the ass...

I like being self employed, no more stress of this crap and payday monday's no-shows...

jaylo
09-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Unless you are a CEO, trader, lawyer, calling in sick does not matter as long as performing your job well.

Now, the ones that are slackers usually have a sob story or brown nose their way up the organizational chain

haggis88
09-14-2013, 12:43 PM
very rarely do i call in sick, i think i've done it maybe twice or three times in my working life, i'm another one of these lucky people who don't get ill very often...its just everything else about me that sucks :lol:

my companies system tracks any time as hours (vacation/sick/banked etc), and i've amassed a whole 8 hours "sick time" this year

i wasn't even "sick" in the technical sense...i went into work one night and started getting back pain which got gradually worse as the night went on...i was sent home by the supervisor and called in the next night as it hadn't gotten any better

there's a few of my colleagues who's sick time for this year i'd like to see...seems like they're having at least 1 day per week on average, the rest of us notice it, just wonder if the boss man does, as he has to approve it all :lol:

asp integra
09-21-2013, 02:11 PM
I run a small business and only take 1-2 sick days a year but I rarely get sick so i'm lucky that way and I usually work 6 days a week. On the other hand I have 1 lady in my store who calls in sick 2-3 times a month. Shes very good when working so I pay her hourly instead of on salary so she only makes money when shes actually working.

403Gemini
09-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Haven't taken a sick day in about 6 years. I have been sick but I spoke to my boss and said "It's a 'working from home' day" - and yes, I did work from home.

I can't justify sitting on the couch watching TV when sick, makes me feel if I can do that, I can sit in front of my laptop.

I've never, not once phoned in sick just to have a day off because I was too lazy to work in my 16 years of being somebody's employee. The only time I phone in sick and actually miss the day is when I am completely bed ridden and I can't move without throwing up or almost feel like I'm going to pass out from standing up, and those flu's are pretty infrequent.

Cos
09-22-2013, 10:27 AM