PDA

View Full Version : Selling Car Privately - Do you let people test drive it on their own?

BloNdie
08-21-2013, 12:39 PM
I am selling my old car (99 Corolla) and have a couple people coming to take a look. My question is, do you let people take it for a test drive alone, or do you go with them?

I'm less concerned with someone stealing the car and more concerned with the potential of them getting in an accident or getting tickets while it is still in my name. On the other hand, I'm not super keen about getting in the car with a stranger alone.

Any advice would be appreciated - you folks must have some experience with this!

Thanks!

speedog
08-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Really?

Man, I am losing hope in the human race.

revelations
08-21-2013, 12:49 PM
I would treat every visit different.

If its a female buyer you'd probably be OK with going with them in the car I suppose - ask a male friend to be there when a group of people come for a visit perhaps? :dunno:

Mibz
08-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by revelations
I would treat every visit different. Yup. I had a couple in their thirties come to take a look at the Cayenne and they showed up in their 911. I told 'em the oil was warm so give 'er the beans while I got a coffee.

Different people would garner a different attitude.

Boosted131
08-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Depends on the car you're selling. My jeep I just let people drive it. My talon the person I sold it to didn't even get to drive it, I took them for a ride.

My atvs and bikes I've sold I have always let the people ride around the block.

BloNdie
08-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks all - that's pretty much what I was considering - deciding on a case-by-case basis.

I've also thought about following them in my car if I get a weird vibe.

G
08-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Mr Money Bags came with his 16 year old son. I let him take out my C63 while I chatted with Mr Money Bags.

lilmira
08-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by BloNdie
[BI've also thought about following them in my car if I get a weird vibe. [/B]

Shouldn't you just not give them a test drive or go with them at the very least?

Mitsu3000gt
08-21-2013, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't even consider it, personally. Even if I was selling a $5000 car I'd go with.

G - I think I read you got the sale, but man I would have never, ever, let a 16 yr old out by himself in my C63 (if I had one).

A790
08-21-2013, 01:22 PM
I always tag along. Then again, I'm not afraid of sitting next to a stranger.w

BloNdie
08-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

Shouldn't you just not give them a test drive or go with them at the very least?

Sorry, I meant let them take the car I have for sale for a ride and I will follow them in my *new* car.

BloNdie
08-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by A790

I totally realize I'm being a bit paranoid....I mean, the odds of something awful happening is pretty slim. I guess I'm just still freaked out over that Tim Bosma situation.

403civic
08-21-2013, 01:26 PM
bring a Knife and go on the test drive

DeleriousZ
08-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Depends on the situation for me. Usually I'll ride along but if the guy seems cool I'll let them test it alone.

turbotrip
08-21-2013, 01:34 PM

Sorry, I meant let them take the car I have for sale for a ride and I will follow them in my *new* car.

what will that accomplish?

ive sold many cars and yea its a case by case basis- usually ill go with them but if its a cheap car or they leave their car at my place ill let them go alone. one time a guy went alone and went missing for 15min so i assumed he had stolen it, but luckily when he did return he ended up buying it

lilmira
08-21-2013, 01:36 PM

IC, you are more worried about being alone with a stranger in your car than your car being alone with a stranger. I assume that you are a girl. I'm sure there are volunteers here willing to help you out. ;)

G
08-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I wouldn't even consider it, personally. Even if I was selling a $5000 car I'd go with.

G - I think I read you got the sale, but man I would have never, ever, let a 16 yr old out by himself in my C63 (if I had one).

haha there's more to the story...they are a friend of the family and have a few successful restaraurants in Lethbridge.

TomcoPDR
08-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by A790

The strangers are probably more scared of you. ;)

Graham_A_M
08-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Absolutely not... I made that mistake when I was 18, I let this young family (with a young newborn) take my '72 Chevelle out for a test drive.

They left their POS station wagon there at the house, then took off with it. I never thought anything of it, but I was waiting for a while, and they never came back.

So I hopped on my sportbike and quickly booted around the neighborhood, and I found them, pulled over with it, while quickly going over a map. They intended on stealing the car, and were trying to drive off with it, only to get lost in the neighborhood.

The police were involved and everything, it was a big mess.... Turns out the car they just bought (for $200) had no registration or insurance and had full intentions of leaving it at my place, since it was a stolen plate and everything. Big charges were laid, both got fucked over royally for that stunt, which made me quite happy.

Yeah, that was the last time I ever let anybody touch anything I owned, unless I knew them extremely well. Now I'd never, ever let anybody take anything I own for a test drive on their own, unless its was a motorcycle, whereas I dont want to ride passenger exactly. Only then, I get their full insurance for their car/truck, their keys for it, license & registration, after verifying that it is in fact them for their drivers license. That way? chances are if they do want to take off with the bike, I have something of more value, and all the info I need to take to the police.

Even then.... Im still leery. Long story short, dont ever make the same mistake I did.

Mibz
08-21-2013, 02:34 PM
So, worst case, your vehicle gets stolen. What happens then? Insurance pays for a rental for a while and if the car is never found then they cut you a cheque, right?

If I'm trying to sell the car already then that's exactly what I want. Sounds too good to be true, so what's the catch?

Xtrema
08-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
So, worst case, your vehicle gets stolen. What happens then? Insurance pays for a rental for a while and if the car is never found then they cut you a cheque, right?

If I'm trying to sell the car already then that's exactly what I want. Sounds too good to be true, so what's the catch?

Insurance guys need to chime in......

I think the definition of "stolen" doesn't apply if you willingly hand over the keys.

rage2
08-21-2013, 02:55 PM
I always go on the test drives. I usually drive the car first, show them the basics, then swap seats somewhere. Afterwards, I'll take them for a real rip to show what the car can do.

clem24
08-21-2013, 02:57 PM

I actually agree with this.. Car gets stolen, insurance pays you out, you've just sold your car hahaha. I'd be more worried that the person damages it or something and doesn't own up to it.

I found it interesting the whole range of possibilities. One time I tested a MSP3 and the guy took me for a ride. But more often than not, the seller just handed me the keys and said see you later; didn't even check my license or anything. I think it's a strategy that works as trust is built immediately. But at the same time, I am willing to bet that it's on a case by case basis. If a bunch of punks showed up, I'd say no fucking way. And also depending on what I am selling: if it was my Matrix, I'd probably just hand them the keys and say have fun. My C, they'd probably get a ride along.

zipdoa
08-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by revelations
I would treat every visit different.

This.

I've sold over a hundred cars at a dealership and dozens privately. Each situation is different and you must dance to the music that is being played.

That being said, I think I sent DeleriousZ out in an unregistered audi with no plate on it for a test drive, which subsequently died because the alternator belt broke.

ExtraSlow
08-21-2013, 09:29 PM
if I was selling a 99 corolla like the OP, I would toss the keys to the people that showed up, and let them go for a drive without me. Just sold a 2002 Mazda, and that's how I did it with the people that came to my house.

btimbit
08-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Really depends on the car and person. When I sold my old truck, I met the guy downtown outside his office, exchanged business cards, and let him take the truck while I grabbed some Subway.

But when I was selling my Expedition a few years ago, the guy that turned up was a 20 year old that showed up in a minivan with 4 friends. Bet your ass I went along for that one.

DeleriousZ
08-22-2013, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa

That being said, I think I sent DeleriousZ out in an unregistered audi with no plate on it for a test drive, which subsequently died because the alternator belt broke.

Nope I showed up after/as it broke lol.

zieg
08-22-2013, 08:32 AM

Be more worried they damage it in a minor way and take off. Also, the insurance payout would likely be a lot less than you would get in a private sale.

I have never, and will never, let someone drive it alone.

Aleks
08-22-2013, 08:34 AM
I usually let the people test drive the car. I don't care if they steal it as I'm trying to get rid of it anyway. I'd rather not be in the car if they are a shitty driver and end up plowing into something whist testing it out. :rofl:

Maybelater
08-22-2013, 08:51 PM
I think it really depends on how you feel about the person, after all didn't a user on here let a couple of kids take out his S2000 and the kids demolished it on the highway?

One thing I would consider for sure is clarifying with your insurance if you'll have coverage in these circumstances.

topsecret
08-23-2013, 10:09 AM
dirtbikes/quads by all means go for a rip in my alley, my Z that I was selling I had one kid show up to look at it from kijiji basically didn't know a thing about the car, had never driven one and wanted to test drive it, I laughed and told him to take a hike his reply was "ok I'll call you when I'm more serious" Selling any of my streetbikes I NEVER let anyone test ride them, I can ride it and they can follow beside/behind me! I was actually pretty surprised when I bought my Ducati the guy asks me if I brought my helmet and told me to go for a little boot on it. I guess like posted above, when selling cars it really depends on the person that shows up, I never let the go alone though if I do allow a test drive, I ALWAYS go with.

Neil4Speed
08-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

So I hopped on my sportbike and quickly booted around the neighborhood, and I found them, pulled over with it, while quickly going over a map. They intended on stealing the car, and were trying to drive off with it, only to get lost in the neighborhood.

Wow, impressive Graham.

Doozer
08-28-2013, 12:08 PM
For the solo test drives I've allowed, I just take a photocopy of their driver's license.

In addition to proving that they actually had their license, it has an address, and psychologically, I think it has an effect of bringing people into reality and tying them back to me.

Just pinned the copy to the wall of my garage, and gave it back when they returned the car.

So far, no one's said no, but it hasn't been a large sample size. Although if they didn't agree to that (after being invited to my home), then I probably wouldn't be interested in selling it to them. And definitely not letting them test drive it.

thetransporter
08-28-2013, 01:42 PM
if you feel uncomfortable do not do it.

or just make a HD Video of the process with faces and clear audio.