PDA

View Full Version : Quitting smoking via hypnosis

babiedoll
08-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Has anyone tried this or have any recommendations? Kind of a last resort as the habit has been so hard to kick! I'm hoping someone on here has had personal experience and success that they can share. Thx

iron_man888
08-21-2013, 02:14 PM
don't know about hypnosis but a few co-workers have tried laser and have seen good results

SR240SX
08-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Go to Chapters, Buy a book called The easy way to stop smoking by Allen Carr. I smoked 12 years, a pack a day solid and this book made me stop. I am almost at a year being smoke free now. I also told a co worker about it and it worked for him aswell. I strongly recomend this...the book is only $20.

spike98
08-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by SR240SX
Go to Chapters, Buy a book called The easy way to stop smoking by Allen Carr. I smoked 12 years, a pack a day solid and this book made me stop. I am almost at a year being smoke free now. I also told a co worker about it and it worked for him aswell. I strongly recomend this...the book is only $20.

But but but that requires reading and reading is work...

What my sarcasm is trying to say is no matter what, no book, technique, patch, gum, or laser is going to stop you from smoking unless you put the effort in.

Everyone i know that has smoked and tried to quit used a myrad of different gadgets and gimmicks but the ones that stay quit are the ones the push through every craving and won't let it beat them.

Tarrantula
08-21-2013, 03:34 PM
My mom and dad both did it over 30 years ago

Mom quit and never smoked again.

Dad quit and still smokes. Quits all the time, but cant kick the habit.

interlude
08-21-2013, 04:32 PM
I used hypnosis to quit. Its been about 13+ years since I quit. Best thing I have ever done. You need to be mentally ready and have a strong support group around you (i.e. dont hang out with friends that smoke for at least 2 months).

Week 1: was easy
Week 2: started to get a little hard
Week 3: was the hardest, thats when you get the biggest cravings
Week 4: you will start coughing out some nasty shit
Week 5-forever: you will be glad you quit smoking. Every time you are around smokers, you will hate the smell and will make you sick to your stomach.

First 3 weeks is the hardest, it also helped that I had appendicitis on the 3rd week. So I was hospitalized and didnt have a way to smoke.

Like I said, you need to be mentally ready to quit, otherwise don't bother.

englishbob
08-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Used hypnosis twice and both times it worked for a short time.
Nearly 7 years ago I used zyban and it was absolute hell for 30 months but after 35 years of smoking it was time and that's why I think it worked.

digi355
08-21-2013, 05:32 PM
I smoked pretty heavily until I was a little over 30. I tried a bunch of gimmicks - none of them really worked. I finally just made up my mind and ground it out. When I smoked, or was trying to quit, whenever I had a craving I would justify it some way.

"My buddy is town, I'll quit when he leaves. I had a bad day at work, I'll just have one when I get home. I won't smoke in the mornings, Sunday or before I workout." I ended up making at least a thousand reasons that I'd have one more, or quit the next day.

I was finally able to quit by not ever justifying another cigarette. That was it. No laser, no gum, spray or magic trick. I just stopped making excuses. Someone above posted that it got better after 3 weeks. My experience wasn't like this. It was terrible and seemed to go on forever. I didn't find a magic point in time where I didn't want to smoke. The cravings just slowly went away over about a period of a year.

I did start hating the smell (especially in an elevator) very quickly, but was ready to jump back on the smoke bandwagon in a split second. I knew that if I had one, I'd be back on them in no time. I truly know how a drunk feels now, I can never smoke again. Even now after almost 5 years without a cigarette, I'm pretty sure if I had a couple here and there, within a month, I'd be buying packs and back on them full time in no time.

If you're going to quit, you have to make your mind up and quit. That's the only way to do it. Good luck!

Edit: I have heard the pills like zyban a work well and I know at least 2 people that used them. Both quit for over a year but are back on the smokes now. They also said while they were on the pills, it felt like their brains were being tied in knots.

englishbob
08-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Zyban was better than any acid I had in the 70's.
Several dreams involved me being a superhero and more than one I was a vigilante in the riots in my neighbourhood,problem is there are only 3 houses within 600 yards of me.

GQBalla
08-21-2013, 05:48 PM
My take on quiting smoking.

If you want to quit, you'll do it.

Smoked for about 8 years. First i quit smoking cigarettes but smoked shisha instead. I always said at least i don't reak like cigarettes. Yet i smoked cigarettes when i was drunk

Now i don't smoke shisha or cigarettes. I like the smell still just don't like the smell of stale cigarette smoke.

Last time i smoked shisha was months ago.

last time i had cigarettes was when i was in LA in March.

I don't drink now either i know drinking will just make me want to smoke. Which is fine because i didn't smoke cigarettes when i was sober.

Now i just try to eat clean, lift, and the cravings are almost gone. Everynow and then itll come back. Usually when i get agitated or when i eat a huge as meal.

Who knows ill probably smoke when i go on my next vacation but thats another story

BUT! stay strong you can do it!

themack89
08-21-2013, 07:20 PM
I've quit twice and started again twice (both times were vacation lol).

Two things I used to quit: accountability I put on myself and accountability put on me from others I respected.

I just challenged myself not to be a bitch and see if I could quit cold turkey, I like to make myself believe I can do things like that which most people can't (mind over matter).

Accountability from others you respect means I didn't want to feel like a fucken failure or guilty trying to hide it in front of my peers. You feel proud if you did it and you have nothing to hide.

Keep in mind its a physical addiction, quitting is never pleasant. I find if you make it past 72 hours with a nicotine injection, you have gotten over the hard part. But then again I smoke(d) about half a 20 pack per day.

==============

There's actually another strategy you can do which may be the easiest, I've never tried but apparently it works well.

Don't smoke for 12 hours or so, drink excessive amounts of booze to the point where you know you're going to puke, then light up. If done correctly the head rush will send you over the edge, you'll chunder, and its supposed to create an association of smoking ---> sick/puke, and your body wont want to do it again.

Be careful not to do this with a booze you thoroughly enjoy because you may not want to drink that anymore either. This happened to me with vodka, just smelling it would make me heave a little bit.

spikerS
08-21-2013, 07:41 PM
both times I quit, I just woke up in the morning and said not going to smoke anymore. First time I quit was for almost 3 years, started smoking again for about 16 months, and now have been quit again for about 10 months.