PDA

View Full Version : Which Hot Tub to buy

VWEvo
08-21-2013, 08:29 PM
So ive started researching hot tubs and would like to hear suggestions. In my last house we had an Arctic Spa. Good hot tub but still needed to have alot of chemical maintenance.

Ideally I want a system with low maintenance and something that will stand up to our cold climate well.

Tik-Tok
08-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Whichever brand you get, salt water (Sodium Bromide) systems are awesome. I barely have to put any chemicals in mine, and you don't reek of chlorine after you get out.

Personally, I got a Clearwater from Paradise Bay, and I have no complaints.

VWEvo
08-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Whichever brand you get, salt water (Sodium Bromide) systems are awesome. I barely have to put any chemicals in mine, and you don't reek of chlorine after you get out.

Personally, I got a Clearwater from Paradise Bay, and I have no complaints.

My old system was a Salt water system, it wasn't bad for the first year, but after that it seemed like I was always chasing the PH and that I could never get the water right. I'm prepared to put the work if I have to, but I want to know if there are other systems that are less work. How are these UV light systems?

bjstare
08-23-2013, 07:28 AM
I've heard the UV systems are garbage. There was one as an option in my old tub, and it was actually removed because it wasn't worth the hassle.

Was in an Arctic Spas Tundra SE/LE for what it's worth.

I had great luck with a bromine system. Not nearly as bad as chlorine on the body/swim trunks, and fairly easy to maintain.

Mitsu3000gt
08-23-2013, 08:54 AM
We have an Artesian Spa, and it has been good. The first one had a problem after a year and they replaced the entire tub for free including delivery with the improved model from the year after.

For chemicals it's an Enzyme system and then you add a tiny bit of chlorine every few days, it's incredibly low maintenance. Salt water wasn't quite 'there' yet when we bought, but if they have hot tub specific ones now I imagine it would be quite good.

speedog
08-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Dunno, we've has a chlorine Hot Spring (Hot Spot) for 18+ years now and have had no real issues maintaining the water - only time we've had to chase water chemical levels is when it's time to change the water.

As far as reliability, over those 18+ years we've maybe put $1,500 into repairs/maintenance and never once has our tub failed during the winter. Now it wasn't necessarily the cheapest brand on the market, but it has proven itself to us over the years and the dealer we bought from (Rocky Mountain Pools and Spas) is still in business at the same location - something that can't be said of a lot of hot tub/spa dealers.

Go4Long
09-03-2013, 07:41 PM
We bought a Caldera spa from Patioline. At the end of the day it was a good price for a good tub. It doesn't have the stereo (for $1000 for the stereo option you can build a MUCH better outdoor sound system), or 200 jets, but I love it.

I read a lot of comments from people on various boards about getting hot tubs before I purchased, and I found that there's really two camps. The people that love them and use them regularly. And the people that hate them and never use them.

Oddly enough I think the two go hand in hand. the people that never use them never take care of them, so the water just gets worse and worse to the point that it's never right, and then they have problems with the tub for various reasons. The people that are regularly using them are always checking the chemicals so they have no issues. My 0.02 as a spa owner that's only had one since february (and still use it usually 3-4 times a week)

Khyron
09-03-2013, 07:58 PM
I bought another Arctic after we moved - same model - bromine, open case 8 foot. I refuse to buy a foam injected model because it WILL need a repair somewhere, and dealing with that rats nest is not fun. The ozonator/gimicks to reduce chem usage may or may not work but really, a tub of shock, a tub of bromine and some ph up/down is not that expensive. Disposable filters are a bit more but who wants to clean that crap.

VWEvo
09-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
I bought another Arctic after we moved - same model - bromine, open case 8 foot. I refuse to buy a foam injected model because it WILL need a repair somewhere, and dealing with that rats nest is not fun. The ozonator/gimicks to reduce chem usage may or may not work but really, a tub of shock, a tub of bromine and some ph up/down is not that expensive. Disposable filters are a bit more but who wants to clean that crap.

Ended up getting the Arctic. After looking at a few tubs, it really is the best one out there.

Paradise had a crazy sale last week, so I'm happy with my purchase. The Summit XL

KappaSigma
09-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo

Ended up getting the Arctic. After looking at a few tubs, it really is the best one out there.

Paradise had a crazy sale last week, so I'm happy with my purchase. The Summit XL

Im curious what did you end up paying and what was all included?

roopi
09-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Which water maintenance system you go with?

Tik-Tok
09-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo

Paradise had a crazy sale last week,

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but hot tubs are ALWAYS on sale, lol. I live 4 blocks from there, and drive by the stores everyday, and every week, it's a "BLOW OUT SALEESSSEESS EVENT!!!".

dexlargo
09-05-2013, 01:47 PM
I've found the bromine system to be relatively painless. I do my chemicals about once a week and everything stays pretty good.

I use the procedure outlined here: http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30249

Including using borax to raise pH and baking soda to raise the alkalinity, rather than the chemicals from the hot tub suppliers that are much more expensive and do the same thing.

I don't shock with bleach like they suggest in the link, I use the shock stuff I buy from Jacuzzi, but I'm not sure why - maybe I'll switch and save some money.

The_Penguin
09-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Arctic from Paradise here. 1st one developed blisters on the shell after a couple years. Paradise offered to replace it, then dragged their feet for months.
Finally a call directly to Arctic lit a fire under them and they replaced it.

Second one has been great. We use chlorine granules, manually, capfull every week or so. Floater dispenser was putting too much bromine in, and it was building up on the shell, so switched.

Isaiah
09-17-2013, 10:39 PM
1WP.