PDA

View Full Version : VRBO users

89coupe
08-22-2013, 09:04 AM
For those that have used VRBO, did you need to go through this process?

I'm currently looking at a place and I'm a little nervous about sending so much information to a private owner.

See below.

Aloha Brad,

Please let us know once you have your exact dates. We will also need the number of guests including children.
*************************************************************************************
BELOW IS OUR RESERVATION POLICY:
Let us know when you are ready to proceed with your reservation.
To start off the process, we will do and need the following:
1. send you a Paypal link to pay for your Reservation Deposit of $500.
2. the NAME, AGE, ADDRESS of all guests, including minors.
3. the EMAIL ADDRESS of all guests for Electronic Signature purpose, except minors.
4. the copy of IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS (passport or U.S. Driver's License) emailed for verification, except minors. An easier way than scanning, we suggest using a Smart Phone to take a picture of your IDs and email them as an attachment.
Below is our reservation policy. We will guide you through the process.
1. We will send you a Paypal link to pay for your Reservation Deposit of $500, no 4% Paypal Fee, should you choose to proceed with reserving your dates. Reservation Deposit is used to block your dates and is not a binding agreement. It is non-refundable if you choose to cancel your reservation. It cannot be applied towards your rent or cleaning fee. However, upon check-in, Reservation Deposit is being converted to Security/Damage Deposit. Security/Damage Deposit is refunded after your departure and a complete inspection for lost or damage of the property.
2. When the Reservation Deposit is received, we will need copies of identification document (U.S. Driver’s License or Passports), except for minors, so we can write up the Vacation Rental Agreement and email to all adult guests for electronic signature. Each adult guest will sign through their email account. Proper guidelines for identity verification must be followed to ensure a safe environment for all guests and homeowners alike. Before the Vacation Rental Agreement is signed, the owner reserved the rights to refuse rental. In this case, you will receive a full refund of your Reservation Deposit. Vacation Rental Agreement must be signed within 14 days from the date of the Contract.
3. Full rent is due 60 days prior to check-in. Full rent is due immediately if check-in date is 60 days or less.
We will send you a reminder when the full rent is due. We have 2 payment options (All U.S. Funds):
-Bank/Wire Transfer -- no fee on our receiving bank, but you have to pay the wire transfer fee of your bank.
-Paypal (Credit Card) + a Paypal Fee of 4% of the Total Amount.

A few notes about the condo:
-The condo square footage is more than 4 times the standard hotel room
-The unit is 2 times the size of most units in the building
-The unit is direct ocean view, ocean front, and beach front
-The suite was designed with one thing in mind: to stand out from the rest
-The owner spared no expense to make this suite ultra chic
No. 2 BEST BEACH IN AMERICA 2 YEARS IN A ROW
Voted the no. 2 Best Beach in America 2012 & 2013 is right in front of the condo.
Check the 2012 link: http://www.drbeach.org/2.html
Check the 2013 link: http://www.drbeach.org/2a.html
One of our reviews said it best:
‘Staying in a well maintained, beautiful condo makes all the difference in making your trip a wonderful time.’
Mahalo (Thank you),
Ron, Reservation Manager

skandalouz_08
08-22-2013, 09:08 AM
I've used VRBO before for a place in Montana we always rent and all I've ever needed was name, address, phone and credit card info. The same info you would need to book a hotel room anywhere. Seems a little sketchy to me to require all that info and pay via paypal.

89coupe
08-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by skandalouz_08
I've used VRBO before for a place in Montana we always rent and all I've ever needed was name, address, phone and credit card info. The same info you would need to book a hotel room anywhere. Seems a little sketchy to me to require all that info and pay via paypal.

Yeh, that's what I was thinking.

89coupe
08-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Can anyone recommend a two bedroom two bathroom condo with a kitchen in Waikiki or surrounding area?

I'm willing to pay up to $700/night.

JfuckinC
08-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Yah i have rented a few places, new york/florida/BC and only ever given basic information and paid..

holden
08-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Crazy, I've rented in Montreal and all they needed was name, contact info and half the payment ahead of time (via Paypal).

Does this place have any previous reviews? I wouldn't use a place that hasn't had some positive reviews.

89coupe
08-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by holden
Crazy, I've rented in Montreal and all they needed was name, contact info and half the payment ahead of time (via Paypal).

Does this place have any previous reviews? I wouldn't use a place that hasn't had some positive reviews.

It has reviews, but they could be faked easily.

Here is the listing on VRBO

http://www.vrbo.com/319933

hurrdurr
08-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Damn, that looks gorgeous

yellowsnow
08-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Just email them and ask why they need some much personal information. I would not send a photo of my passport... I've never been asked for that much information when renting a place.

Mitsu3000gt
08-22-2013, 10:37 AM
We've used VRBO many times in general, and many times in Hawaii, and never had to supply passport info or PayPal payments, just name, credit card, email - just basic information to complete the transaction.

benyl
08-22-2013, 10:39 AM
You are willing to pay $700 / night at the Marina end of Waikiki?

I'd get a suite at any of the beach hotels for that price over a condo.

Have you looked at the suites? Is there something specific about the condo you like? Kitchen?

CapnCrunch
08-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Just email them and say your fine with everything except for emailing you copies of your identification. Say you've been a victim of identity theft and you would kindly like to decline sending that information to a stranger.

I've used vrbo before and never had to send that information.

89coupe
08-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by benyl
You are willing to pay $700 / night at the Marina end of Waikiki?

I'd get a suite at any of the beach hotels for that price over a condo.

Have you looked at the suites? Is there something specific about the condo you like? Kitchen?

Yeh we want a kitchen.

We have decided to do Maui instead.

Way more availability for nice condos.

Looks like Wailea has the nicest selection.

sputnik
08-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Yeh we want a kitchen.

We have decided to do Maui instead.

Way more availability for nice condos.

Looks like Wailea has the nicest selection.

Well... now we know.

Originally posted by 89coupe
If you are old and boring, Maui is your destination.

suntan
08-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Wow that's a lot. For the last time I just did an Interac money transfer. Now that made it easy.

89coupe
08-22-2013, 07:08 PM
We ended up booking this place.

http://www.vrbo.com/243371

403ep3
08-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Wow surprised they didn't ask for your mothers maiden name, first pet, first girlfriend, and a copy of your SIN card.

edit: Damn ^^ I need to go to hawaii

hrdkore
08-26-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm a frequent user of VRBO, and its just security purposes, you can send them a scan of your license if you are questioning scanning your passport. All hotels ask for ID when checking in.

89coupe
08-26-2013, 04:18 PM
I ended up booking with the one in Maui. It allowed me to pay through Homeaway which was completely secure and accepted all forms of payment. That other listing required I pay through Paypal which charged an additional 4% of the total booking price, which I found ridiculous.

npham
08-26-2013, 05:30 PM
What site did you go through? I'm going back to Maui in Jan.

89coupe
08-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by npham
What site did you go through? I'm going back to Maui in Jan.

www.vrbo.com