PDA

View Full Version : Bringing up salary during the interview process

holden
08-23-2013, 12:31 AM
Do you think it is okay to bring up salary in the middle of the interview process?

For example, I've applied for a job and after an initial phone interview I've been selected as one of the candidates to move forward. The next interview would require them to fly me across the country. I really don't want to waste their time or mine if the pay isn't at least comparable to my current job.

Now I'm pretty sure I'm one of the very few qualified candidates they have (it's a very specialized industry). In fact one of their employees personally reached out to me after their initial posting didn't provide them enough suitable candidates locally.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm purely in it for the money, because one of their big selection criteria is commitment to the job.

Would it be better/safer to just go through the motions and see what they offer at the end (assuming they select me).

Type_S1
08-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Go through the motions, it's a free trip haha.

Asking about salary before the interview happens will be frowned upon for sure. If you are specialized I would assume they know what you are worth. They will likely ask you a salary expectation or what you make now in the actual interview anyways. I they like you they will pay more for you than others!

Good luck.

bjstare
08-23-2013, 06:53 AM
^Wow. Good advice.

Wasn't expecting that from you. :rofl:

SJW
08-23-2013, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1

Asking about salary before the interview happens will be frowned upon for sure. If you are specialized I would assume they know what you are worth. They will likely ask you a salary expectation or what you make now in the actual interview anyways. I they like you they will pay more for you than others!

Good luck.

This is bang on. That said, ask for more than what you are making but don't be insulting.

Tram Common
08-23-2013, 09:17 AM

Good luck.

Absolutely disagree.

If this is a serious job competition and they're a serious company and they're serious about possibly hiring you... then they should be letting you, and the other candidates applying, know what the salary range is right away.

I can't stand when companies do this. Not in it for the money? We want commitment? This is the real world, if you want commitment, pay your employees well. If you want serious candidates to apply, tell them what they are applying for.

Ask for a salary range before you take another step. If they try and pull some bullshit response on you like, "Oh, well we only discuss that later in the interview stage of the hiring process," tell them flat out that you're not flying across the country unless you know what to expect... it's not fair on you and it's not fair on them.

Why waste anyone's time and money if the salary fucking blows and you wouldn't have gone on the trip if they would have simply told you the salary range from the get go.

Mitsu3000gt
08-23-2013, 09:21 AM
They will bring it up, don't worry. Especially if they're flying you across the country. I've never been in an interview where they did not at some point bring up my salary expectations. You should have an idea what it will be anyway, given your current pay and what people in the new position normally get paid.

Sugarphreak
08-23-2013, 09:25 AM

holden
08-23-2013, 09:54 AM
I don't really care about the free trip, I was just in that city a few weeks ago (Toronto). It's really actually a hassle to have to fly there, considering I have stuff going on in my life and current job right now.

I have no idea what the salary scale is there. It's an O&G related job and I'm afraid that they just won't be able to compete with Calgary. I'd rather know sooner than later.

Sugarphreak
08-23-2013, 09:58 AM

dirtsniffer
08-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Should have asked in the phone interview while you were asking about all of the other job related questions. If you phone back just to ask I think it will be strange and possibly seen as a detriment.

mr2mike
08-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by holden
[BI have no idea what the salary scale is there. [/B]

Great way to bring the salary stuff up.
Inquire by starting with that you know different areas of the country have different salary scales. You're wondering what the scale is in the Toronto area for O&G jobs. They should know. Do some quick research and maybe state that you read it was _____%+/-. Then ask them to verify.
Don't go in blank slate.

Lex350
08-23-2013, 10:24 AM
I've hired many people and even brought people in from out of province. The company will already have a good gauge on what the position is worth. If they are willing to fly you in, it isn't because they are getting ready to low ball you. They see you as a viable candidate and one that they are having trouble fill locally.

As somebody who does hiring if a candidate focuses too much too early on the $ amount it send up red flags for me. There are many more aspects to the compensation package that salary. I do think it is alright to ask for a ballpark before you step on a plane to make sure you are in negotiation distance. Just don't get too preoccupied with it from the start.

From personal experience I have found that the companies that usually pay the most are the ones that are the most toxic and have the highest turnover rate. There are plenty more things that go into a job/career than just money.

msommers
08-23-2013, 11:12 AM
If they've reached out to across country, I can't see them trying to be cheap on the salary side of things, especially after finding no one locally.

The real question you should ask is: would you actually want to live in Toronto?!

hrdkore
08-23-2013, 11:33 AM
salary expectation are usually brought up during the interview process, albeit if there are more than 1, usually after the initial one.

If they do not bring it up, you are more than likely inclined to ask what what their expectations are, they may throw it back on you.

else wait to see an offer and negotiate from there.

Type_S1
08-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Sure, if you don't value your time at all :dunno:

A company should have no problem telling you the salary before you fucking fly across the country, hell even before you drive across town they should be offering up what the pay is.

When I was going to school in Vancouver the top 3 students got an opportunity to do a work experience and then get hired for a local company. Best part was the company didn’t tell them shit about wages… they didn’t even know what they made for the first 2 weeks working there until their first pay cheques, lol. They got a whopping 10$ an hour, but most of them already had made plans around it so they couldn’t just leave and pursue work elsewhere… pretty ingenious way of screwing people over actually. If I hadn’t been drunk or sleeping most of the class I might have been swept up in that scam too!

LOL, you would argue with me just for the sake of arguing. Was expecting this from you.

If you are a "top" candidate that was head hunted and they are willing to fly you across the country for an interview instead of a "Skype date" I would assume this is a serious job that knows competitive compensation quite well. Every time I have been talked to by other companies they are very knowledgable on what they need to pay to get you to move.

You just be banking thousands a day for thinking you are too good to drive across the city to meet someone Haha. Good for you man, good for you.

As for OP, it sounds like your mind is already set that you want to know compensation before going so why did you even make a thread on it? I warn you asking will only hurt your chances but if you do have to ask, ask for a salary range but than be expected to get the "well what do you make right now" question fired back.

Sugarphreak
08-23-2013, 12:24 PM

lasimmon
08-23-2013, 12:40 PM

LOL, you would argue with me just for the sake of arguing. Was expecting this from you.

If you are a "top" candidate that was head hunted and they are willing to fly you across the country for an interview instead of a "Skype date" I would assume this is a serious job that knows competitive compensation quite well. Every time I have been talked to by other companies they are very knowledgable on what they need to pay to get you to move.

You just be banking thousands a day for thinking you are too good to drive across the city to meet someone Haha. Good for you man, good for you.

As for OP, it sounds like your mind is already set that you want to know compensation before going so why did you even make a thread on it? I warn you asking will only hurt your chances but if you do have to ask, ask for a salary range but than be expected to get the "well what do you make right now" question fired back.

Asking about Salary prior to flying across country for an interview will not hurt your chances in landing the job. That is just ridiculous.

There is a significant difference in moving from Job A to job B within your own city. They may know what a competitive salary is within the profession, however in my mind it would have to be above that to convince me to move across country.

You also say he is a top candidate for the position. Even more reason asking about salary will not hinder his chances of landing the position.

Sugarphreak
08-23-2013, 12:42 PM

FraserB
08-23-2013, 01:08 PM

Depends, I remember S1 saying that wearing anything less than an attire worth 4K would hurt him at work.

$3,900 watch and $100 worth of Walmart clothes?

Sugarphreak
08-23-2013, 01:35 PM

prodigydud
08-23-2013, 02:00 PM
As others have mentioned, I'd wait for the employer to bring up the salary question.

However, I'd be cautious on how to answer the question. I know HR is very diligent in asking this question, but providing a salary expectation gives no benefit to you. For example, if your salary expectation is too low, you risk accepting a low offer. However, if your salary expectation is too high, they may just overlook you.

I'd try to get the employer to give you the budgeted salary for the role, and if all else fails, then you provide a salary range.

shakalaka
08-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Here is what you do:

Call the person you spoke to earlier. Just start the conversation with anything. For example, I just wanted to clarify my flight details or where I would be staying when I am down there. You can also ask for suggestions to get around the town. Like if you would taking a cab and if that would be paid for. Make a light joke/remark about how much bigger Toronto is compared to Calgary so it's a lot more expensive to get around there.

They will clarify all that for you and most likely ask if there's anything else. Then you say, oh yea btw, now that you mention it, I am curious to know how the wages in the O&G industry (or your specific position) compare between the two cities.

Very easy and light way to bring it up and it will get them talking about the topic. From there you can get as specific as you want depending on the flow of the conversation.

Type_S1
08-23-2013, 02:59 PM

Depends, I remember S1 saying that wearing anything less than an attire worth 4K would hurt him at work. I can only assume he works in the O&G fashion industry. They problably have unwritten rules about this stuff.

BTW: I really missed it when S1 was gone for a while, welcome back buddy!

Haha you are out of control. Our argument stemmed from you saying it didn't matter how you looked, I said you should dress well so you are respected. Lets put that argument behind us as we early don't see eye to eye.

As for asking about salary, I honestly just see no point because I don't believe an employer would ever give you a straight up answer and some may get offended. As for across the country I am sure they won't get offended and think you are money driven BUT I doubt they will give you a straight up answer that you will be pleased with.

gamman
08-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Maybe ask the range if you are getting hints they are $10/hr wankers. Otherwise if you start asking before they select you, it's too early. It's like imagine selling a car, and like the last car you looked at, when you emailed what's the lowest price you would take? Most people, if they have other people interested (most good companies do), will realize you are a flake, and drop you. If they have no options, they won't mind. Make sure you are down to two or three candidates left.

Mibz
08-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by prodigydud
However, if your salary expectation is too high, they may just overlook you. Has anybody actually ever had this happen? Every time I'm looking for new contracts I push for more money and any time it's too high for them, they tell me.

lasimmon
08-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Has anybody actually ever had this happen? Every time I'm looking for new contracts I push for more money and any time it's too high for them, they tell me.

Exactly. People don't understand compensation is a huge part of employment. Employers are not going to judge you. Maybe if you are a junior person. But any experienced people it is all part of the interview process.

ZenOps
08-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Ask for half the salary in nickels ;)