PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Remove Bloatware

Mitsu3000gt
08-23-2013, 09:17 AM
2 questions for you guys, i'm stumped. OS is Windows 8 64 bit.

I picked up an Asus UX31a Zenbook and while I love the thing, it did come with a fair amount of bloatware. There are two things I absolutely cannot get rid of:

1) McAfee. I hate this fucking program. I hate it's name, I hate it's scans, and I hate it's real time protection. I uninstalled it using the Control Panel Add/Remove programs, and it still shows up in the task manager, running, using significant amounts of RAM. Even when I disable it on startup using CCleaner and Task Manager, it STILL comes up. Two programs are running, some sort of Launcher, as well as realtime protection. After uninstalling, McAfee folders are still in the X86 and 64 bit program files folders. Running McAfee's own uninstaller found in the program files does nothing either.

2) OtShot. This appears to have installed itself somewhere along the line. Googling suggests it's malware. It WILL NOT go away. I have uninstalled it as well as manually deleted the files, and doing a search still brings up a lot of crap labeled "Ot shot" in windows explorer. Apparently it is designed to skirt malware removal tools as well.

Any suggestions? Can I just SHIFT - DEL everything? I feel like I should properly remove at least McAfee but I am out of ideas.

Computer works fine as-is, I just want all the crap off it. Next step is a fresh install, but it's a bit of a pain getting all the drivers back, so I want to avoid that if possible.

narou
08-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Re-image laptop with the recovery partition or whatever you have.
Don't enable network.
Remove any unwanted bloatware.

revelations
08-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Normally MCPR works pretty good at deletig MCAFEE junk. Next I would try looking in services and disabling those programs, then I would edit MSCONFIG and disable the unwanted programs from starting up with Windows.

firebane
08-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Use this:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

And a combination of CCleaner and if that doesn't reomove it then re-install is the best bet.

But Revo is pretty good at getting stubborn crap out of the system.

Mitsu3000gt
08-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys, I will give that a shot this weekend.

The laptop is brand new, there is nothing really to "restore". The problem is even after uninstalling said bloatware, it doesn't disappear.

The other trouble is I can't get it to show up in a list of things I can uninstall, so even if there is a program capable of removing it, it can't see it.

I find it hilarious that the an antivirus program itself is far harder to remove than any virus I've ever had to remove (never got one myself, but for others).

FixedGear
08-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Try youruninstaller

Seth1968
08-24-2013, 07:11 AM
Here's the McRappy removal tool:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

For OtShot: Run MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware. Use only the quick scans, and make sure any found items are checked.

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Thanks guys, I'll have time to try out all of the above today and report back.

revelations
08-25-2013, 09:18 AM
One more thing, if all else fails to remove OT SHOT, try a program ROGUE KILLER.

It has a high false detection rate (because its designed for zero day items) , but it allows you to select which processes and reg items to remove.

http://tigzy.geekstogo.com/roguekiller.php

Mitsu3000gt
08-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Here's the McRappy removal tool:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

For OtShot: Run MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware. Use only the quick scans, and make sure any found items are checked.

These *Mostly* worked.

I think OtShot is gone for good, and a search of the C drive doesn't bring up anything at all related to it.

Malware Bytes found 128 things haha, I have no idea how, since the computer was brand new.

The only issue still seems to be McAfee. The uninstaller link you sent definitely did something, removing it from my task manager, which is the important part. However:

1) McAfee is still in my Program Files folder (I think in only either the 32 or 64 bit, but not the other, I can't remember. It used to be in both.)

2) McAfee was still found in the Windows Services list, but not my task manager. I disabled them from starting up automatically with the Windows Services tool however

At what point can I just SHIFT-DEL anything to do with McAfee? It's own uninstaller doesn't even completely remove it.

All the other uninstall programs are great, but in order for them to work I believe I need McAfee to show up in a programs list, which it doesn't.

I'm definitely further ahead than before though.

Stealth22
08-27-2013, 09:21 AM
I probably would have just formatted the C drive completely and installed a fresh build of Windows. Yeah, you would have to download all your drivers and stuff, but it's well worth the effort down the road, not having any bloatware.

z24_wheels
08-27-2013, 09:29 AM
^ agreed

Mitsu3000gt
08-27-2013, 09:55 AM
I agree with both of you but here are my issues, based on what I read:

1) It can be a major PITA getting the computer to boot from a USB drive for the initial install

2) I have to back up the recovery partition

3) I have to get EVERY SINGLE little driver back, like for every hotkey combination, keyboard backlighting, power saving/sleep functions, etc. which from what I read can be a huge pain.

4) If I want the computer to continue starting up in 2 seconds flat, I need to re-create the fastboot partition, and get the appropriate drivers for it, which apparently can be tricky.

Now, I thought Windows 7/8 automatically downloaded all your drivers for everything, but apparently not??

The computer is blazing fast as-is, so I was hoping to avoid a fresh install, but I do agree that is the best. I'll probably resort to that if I still can't get everything the way I want it.

Seth1968
08-27-2013, 10:01 AM
No antivirus will remove completely. The leftovers are benign remnants that won't affect anything.

If you want to though, you could just do a search for McAfee and delete all it finds.

Seth1968
08-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Oh ya, this too:

Bloatware isn't as bad as some make it out to be. You could simply disable that stuff in msconfig and delete the associated desktop shortcut. It's simple, fast, and you don't have to uninstall it if you don't want to.

Mitsu3000gt
08-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Oh ya, this too:

Bloatware isn't as bad as some make it out to be. You could simply disable that stuff in msconfig and delete the associated desktop shortcut. It's simple, fast, and you don't have to uninstall it if you don't want to.

Thanks - I will just SHIFT-DEL everything to do with McAfee at this point. It's not running anywhere.

Yeah the bloatware isn't that bad, McAfee was BY FAR the worst culprit. ASUS has lots of tools designed to help you, some of which aren't needed, but I don't care much about those.

The laptop is extremely snappy as-is, I just wanted to clear off the unnecessary stuff. I have read a fresh install makes it even faster, but 2 second cold-start ups are good enough for me haha.

What do you think of Windows Defender? Is there a way to leave the virus protection on, but turn the malware protection off? The Windows Defender malware service is the only program left that seems to eat a lot of RAM. I figure I just run Malware bytes every now and then rather than have constant realtime protection.

Seth1968
08-27-2013, 10:27 AM
All antivirus programs claim to be #1. Truth is, almost all antivirus programs have about the same detection and removal rate. The difference will be price, and how much it screws up the system.

Window's Defender is an excellent antivirus program. It typically won't slow down the system, cause crashes, have false positives, mess up your internet, etc, as a lot of third party antivirus programs often do. If you plan on using it, make sure it's activated. You can so by starting to type "Defender" from Metro mode, or punch that into the Search from Desktop mode.

Note that for security, it's very important to keep your flash and java updated.

BTW- Do you plan on using Metro mode or desktop mode?

Mitsu3000gt
08-27-2013, 10:39 AM
I am a fan of Windows Defender antivirus (Loved MS Security Essentials from Windows 7 as well). Can I turn off the realtime malware monitoring though? It eats a lot of RAM. I have Defender turned on already, but if I could keep the AV protection and turn off malware monitoring only, that seems ideal.

I absolutely despise Windows 8 "touchscreen" (metro?) format, almost as much as I hate all the apps that come with it. I uninstalled them all, except there is some stupid "Xbox" game app that cannot be uninstalled the same way any other app could be (simply right click --> Uninstall) so I don't know what to do about that one.

The animations are nice, and it seems polished, I just find it extremely inefficient to use.

I can never tell what's running, or how many instances of something I have open with Windows 8. I am not a fan at all. I exclusively use the Desktop view, and will most likely buy those programs that give you back the Start button and make everything look like Windows 7. Windows 8 is not at all intuitive IMO. Everything takes so much longer - for example to even see a menu, you need to hold your mouse in the top right for 2 seconds, and that is if it even bothers to recognize that your pointer is there. You also need to go 2 or 3 menus deep to shut down the computer (I believe this is because they are trying to encourage "sleep" functions).

The only thing I noticed is that Firefox takes a full 10 seconds to start up...every other program starts up instantly (Including internet explorer). I may try switching to Chrome.

Seth1968
08-27-2013, 10:44 AM
You can turn off real time by going into Defender>Settings>Real time protection.

You can boot to the desktop mode and have a classic start menu by using Classic Shell (it's free) http://www.classicshell.net/

I also suggest installing VLC media player.

NOTE: There is a hidden "Start" menu in W8. Right click on the bottom left and you'll have access to things like Control Panel and File Explorer. The latter gives you access to your drives, pictures, docs, music, etc.

Mitsu3000gt
08-27-2013, 10:52 AM
You can turn off real time by going into Defender>Settings>Real time protection.

You can boot to the desktop mode and have a classic start menu by using Classic Shell (it's free) http://www.classicshell.net/

I also suggest installing VLC media player.

NOTE: There is a hidden "Start" menu in W8. Right click on the bottom left and you'll have access to things like Control Panel and File Explorer. The latter gives you access to your drives, pictures, docs, music, etc.

Thanks.

So the "real time" protection is strictly Malware? I did find that on my own, but I thought that was the AV protection.

I was reading about Classic Shell and also this:

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

I will definitely be getting VLC and all the usual "must have" programs. I don't like anything Windows provides for playing any kind of media.

I found the button in the bottom left but it just brings me back to Metro mode...I didn't think to right click though.

I do think that with a few tweaks I'll be fine with W8. It starts up EXTREMELY fast, which I like. It just seems ridiculous to me that there isn't a one click button that makes everything run/look like W7, especially with so many people wanting that it seems.

I also want it to go straight to the log-on screen when it boots up, instead of the landing screen you need to click past to get to the password screen. I have read you can disable that though.

Seth1968
08-27-2013, 11:08 AM
You're welcome.

Real time protection is for malware and "viruses". You can't turn them off individually.

Despite what you may have read, malware is short for Malicious Software, and technically includes all types of infections.

Classic shell will boot to desktop mode.

Window's 8.1 also gives that option as well as disabling corner menus.

Mitsu3000gt
08-27-2013, 11:23 AM
I saw this image, which made me think I could turn Virus and Malware (I should have been saying "Spyware" I think) protection off separately. Am I confused?

What I want is full virus protection, using almost zero system resources (like MS Security Essentials), and then I can just run Malwarebytes every now and then to take care of spyware. Maybe I should just leave everything on though.

http://www.eightforums.com/attachments/tutorials/18219d1363120388t-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-8-action_center.jpg

Seth1968
08-27-2013, 11:42 AM
That screen shot is misleading. If you turn one off, the other will turn off as well. Same when you try to turn one back on. That's as it should be, as the single database contains the both the virus and malware signatures.

Defender shouldn't be slowing the system. How much memory is real time protection taking?

firebane
08-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
[B]I saw this image, which made me think I could turn Virus and Malware (I should have been saying "Spyware" I think) protection off separately. Am I confused?

What I want is full virus protection, using almost zero system resources (like MS Security Essentials), and then I can just run Malwarebytes every now and then to take care of spyware. Maybe I should just leave everything on though.

As you said.. I would leave Defender off and install MSE and then just run MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware on occasion.

Ran that combo as well as Firefox + Ad Block for years and never had any issues.

Seth1968
08-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by firebane

As you said.. I would leave Defender off and install MSE and then just run MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware on occasion.

Ran that combo as well as Firefox + Ad Block for years and never had any issues.

MSE does not exist for Window's 8.

firebane
08-27-2013, 12:36 PM

MSE does not exist for Window's 8.

And yet another reason why Windows 8 is stupid :P

Mitsu3000gt
08-27-2013, 01:35 PM
That screen shot is misleading. If you turn one off, the other will turn off as well. Same when you try to turn one back on. That's as it should be, as the single database contains the both the virus and malware signatures.

Defender shouldn't be slowing the system. How much memory is real time protection taking?

I'll have to check when I get home but I think around 150 MB. Its always the #1 process in memory unless I open an actual program. The computer has 4GB of ram, a bit of which is used for the Intel HD4000 graphics, so I want to maximize free RAM.