PDA

View Full Version : Cars that have parallel park or park assist etc.

max_boost
08-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Whatever it's called. It either parks itself or it helps you so much it basically parks itself.

I know raj' CLS does, just saw it on the Ford commercial but any other makes/models out there?

Will this be a mainstream option available on all cars in the coming years?

legit question, not for me, but you can troll anyway.

Discuss. Thanks haha

eglove
08-23-2013, 08:03 PM
It's not gunna help Fran's parking skills

Unknown303
08-23-2013, 08:10 PM
I'd hate to see the system fail and then watch someone try to park on their own after having a computer do it all the time for them.

lint
08-23-2013, 10:22 PM
wasn't there a vid of audis new system that will find a spot in a parking lot and park without a driver and come get you when you're done?

Sugarphreak
08-23-2013, 10:28 PM

01RedDX
08-23-2013, 11:45 PM

JustinMCS
08-24-2013, 12:14 AM
Toyota was the first to implement this in their Prius, then Lexus on the LS.

Now it is offered by BMW, Ford/Lincoln, Toyota/Lexus, Mercedes-Benz.

CanmoreOrLess
08-25-2013, 09:28 PM
2014 Jeep Cherokee for the first time on a Jeep, not a car though it gives you an idea of how popular this has become. Parallel parking is dead easy, the trick is to start out in the right position, a monkey could do it. Bad start = Fail or Wilma Flintstone like results.

USA Today has an article: "Which cars park themselves best?"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2012/12/06/self-parking-cars-challenge/1743199/

The short of it in order:

¥ Land Rover Evoque, Park Assist and Surround Camera, parked the quickest, at 21.9 seconds, and was the consensus pick for easiest to use.

The system is available on most 2013 Range Rovers. Least-expensive with the system: $48,595, Range Rover Evoque Pure Premium AWD.

¥ Mercedes-Benz GL350, Parktronic with Active Parking Assist and Surround View, 27.4 seconds.

Two of three elements, Parktronic and Active Parking, are available on CLS, GLK, M-Class, GL and SL models. But the full-blown setup that combines those two features with Surround View, as in our test vehicle, only comes in GL models for 2013.

Least-expensive model with Parktronic and Active Parking: $38,965 GLK350 rear-wheel drive.

¥ Nissan Pathfinder SUV, Around View Monitor, 30.5 seconds.

Around View isn't an auto-parking system. Instead, it blends views from several cameras to display on a screen the area near both sides and the front and back of the vehicle, making it easier to judge how near or far an obstacle is.

Around View Monitor is available on Pathfinder, Quest and Rogue; Infiniti EX, FX, JX and QX.

Least-expensive version: $29,715, Rogue SL front-wheel drive.

¥ Ford Escape SUV, Active Park Assist, 31 seconds.

Available on Ford C-Max hybrid, C-Max Energi, Explorer, Escape, Flex, Focus, Fusion, Fusion Energi, Fusion Hybrid and Taurus; Lincoln MKS, MKT and MKZ.

Least-expensive version: $24,390, Focus Titanium sedan.

VWEvo
08-25-2013, 10:51 PM
I had this feature on my BMW 550i, it was fantastic. Wish my m5 had it.

revelations
08-25-2013, 11:22 PM
This will be near-future:

vVIXATgoZbMp

dirtsniffer
08-26-2013, 12:04 AM
Haha. Not gonna help her drive in parkades.

Rat Fink
08-26-2013, 07:37 AM

Idiot Stick
08-26-2013, 08:01 AM
I still wouldn't trust it. Don't know what it is, but i wouldn't trust SOMETHING to not fail

Seth1968
08-26-2013, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
It can bring it into spaces that I honestly wouldn't try myself. I wonder which one can park the tightest out of all of them?

Probably the one that's been keyed, as the driver in the front or back could barely get out.

CanmoreOrLess
08-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Some need it more than others, 30 minutes to park a car (video made half way though the process). The commentary is colourful, well I assume it was all in English.

tf4TIWECZ30

lilmira
08-26-2013, 09:53 AM
How well do these systems work when there is a lot of snow on the ground? Sometimes I can't even tell where the curb is.

Stealth22
08-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Idiot Stick
I still wouldn't trust it. Don't know what it is, but i wouldn't trust SOMETHING to not fail

Originally posted by lilmira
How well do these systems work when there is a lot of snow on the ground? Sometimes I can't even tell where the curb is.
:werd:

There's so many variables involved...I'd probably have a hard time trusting a system like this.

I'm curious to know what happens when it fails, and I wonder if the car makers throw a "We aren't responsible for damages caused" clause in the fine print. Is the onus still on the driver to make sure their vehicle is being operated safely?

With the cars that have automatic brakes, it's more clear-cut. You're responsible for keeping following distance with the car in front of you, but if you happen to fall asleep, then provided the computer is working, the automatic brakes will save your ass. But with an automatic parking system, you don't have any control of the car.

If the computer crashes in the middle of a parking sequence which results in a collision with another parked car, who's fault is it? Mine, or Audi's? :dunno:

Seth1968
08-26-2013, 11:12 AM

Seth1968
08-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Stealth22

:werd:

There's so many variables involved...I'd probably have a hard time trusting a system like this.

I'm curious to know what happens when it fails, and I wonder if the car makers throw a "We aren't responsible for damages caused" clause in the fine print. Is the onus still on the driver to make sure their vehicle is being operated safely?

With the cars that have automatic brakes, it's more clear-cut. You're responsible for keeping following distance with the car in front of you, but if you happen to fall asleep, then provided the computer is working, the automatic brakes will save your ass. But with an automatic parking system, you don't have any control of the car.

If the computer crashes in the middle of a parking sequence which results in a collision with another parked car, who's fault is it? Mine, or Audi's? :dunno:

:werd: Again.

If you can't parallel park, then you shouldn't be on the road. My kids and yours depend on other drivers skill. Unless such kids mindlessly walk into the road while texting. If that, then Darwin will weed them out.

blitz
08-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

If you can't parallel park, then you shouldn't be on the road. My kids and yours depend on other drivers skill.

How exactly is a inability to parallel park dangerous?

Zhariak
08-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by blitz

How exactly is a inability to parallel park dangerous?

Means the driver of the vehicle doesn't have any spacial awareness. No spacial awareness means they suck at driving and pose a threat to other drivers on the roads and pedestrians...

clem24
08-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Car should also have collision avoidance systems and surround camera.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/373494/attn-maxboost-please-teach-your-gf-how-to-drive/

bart
08-26-2013, 02:30 PM
vw's in europe had it for a while, not sure why canada doesn't get it

jwvHjrxGf3E

blitz
08-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak

Means the driver of the vehicle doesn't have any spacial awareness. No spacial awareness means they suck at driving and pose a threat to other drivers on the roads and pedestrians...

:rofl:

That's quite a stretch.

Disoblige
08-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Most bad parkers I see don't understand to turn the wheel quick and make the car move slower. They turn the wheel so slow and the car is already half way into the spot, yet they're like over 0.5 m from the curb.

I've seen some Asian drivers that never fully turned a steering wheel to the max angle before. And to be honest, how can they when they sit 10 cm from the steering wheel hunched over.

Stealth22
08-26-2013, 03:45 PM
This is the Audi system by the way. I wouldn't trust the car (which I would have spent good money on) not to hit something on it's way to/from the parking spot! :eek:

b_m8DqTlOLE

clem24
08-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
I've seen some Asian drivers that never fully turned a steering wheel to the max angle before. And to be honest, how can they when they sit 10 cm from the steering wheel hunched over.

IDK Asians might be bad on the road but I find higher % of white women are the worst parkers... A good test is, as a white woman and Asian woman to back into a spot (not even parallel). Chances are, the Asian can do it while the white Woman would just go find another spot.

Stealth22
08-26-2013, 03:53 PM
I somehow find it easier, no matter where I am, to back into a spot than to drive into it forward. Maybe it's just the viewing angle from my seat or something, I don't know. :dunno:

It sure makes it easier to get out, though. :burnout:

Disoblige
08-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by clem24

IDK Asians might be bad on the road but I find higher % of white women are the worst parkers... A good test is, as a white woman and Asian woman to back into a spot (not even parallel). Chances are, the Asian can do it while the white Woman would just go find another spot.
Alright let's get rage2's gf and max_boost's gf to back into a spot. I'm putting all my money on rage2's gf.