PDA

View Full Version : Reformat laptop?

C_Dave45
08-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Have an old (3 yrs) laptop. Running Win 7. AMD c50 @ 1Ghz.
2 GB Ram.

It's just our fool around machine. No important data, etc. But it's running quite slow now, as I'm sure it's filled with all kinds of bloatware, crap, etc etc. I run a scan through it and everything seems fine, but still slow.

I'd like to just do a complete sweep and re-install the OS.

What would be the easiest way? I am thinking just breaking down and buying the full Windows 7 OS disc and going that route.

Any better suggestions?

Cos
08-25-2013, 12:16 PM

firebane
08-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Have an old (3 yrs) laptop. Running Win 7. AMD c50 @ 1Ghz.
2 GB Ram.

It's just our fool around machine. No important data, etc. But it's running quite slow now, as I'm sure it's filled with all kinds of bloatware, crap, etc etc. I run a scan through it and everything seems fine, but still slow.

I'd like to just do a complete sweep and re-install the OS.

What would be the easiest way? I am thinking just breaking down and buying the full Windows 7 OS disc and going that route.

Any better suggestions?

Restore discs are the best option and most laptops have a means to do this through a software installed on the laptop.

If you choose to go the OEM disc then the big issue you run into is downloading drivers for things to work properly due to the OS not knowing what they are by default.

Cos
08-25-2013, 12:45 PM

Zorac
08-25-2013, 12:50 PM
you can usually download the driver ahead of time and put them on a flash card. if you have a regular retail w7 disk, or the wrong version, you can erase the ei.cfg file, and then just install the right version. lots of tutorials for removing ei.cfg online. this avoid the bloatware that will come with the restore disks. restore disks is the easiest way though.

dont forget to activate when your done the install, this will require calling some automated 1-800 number for microsoft.

Seth1968
08-25-2013, 12:52 PM
No need to spend $150.00 on Window's 7, since you already own it.

Most laptops will have a hidden hard drive partition to restore it back to factory condition. If you post the make and model of the laptop, one of us can tell you how to do it.

That is by far the cheapest and easiest solution. You'll get a little bit of bloatware, but it won't take long to remove that.

Idiot Stick
08-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
No need to spend $150.00 on Window's 7, since you already own it.

Most laptops will have a hidden hard drive partition to restore it back to factory condition. If you post the make and model of the laptop, one of us can tell you how to do it.

That is by far the cheapest and easiest solution. You'll get a little bit of bloatware, but it won't take long to remove that.

THIS.

Save yourself a lot of headaches. If we know what make/model, we can definitely point you in the right direction.

sabad66
08-25-2013, 07:20 PM
1. Download magical jellybean key finder and find your product key
2. Google to find a direct download of windows 7 home premium sp2 ISO
3. Burn ISO and install windows (format your drive during installation)
4. Go to laptop manufacturer's website to get drivers

Unknown303
08-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
1. Download magical jellybean key finder and find your product key
2. Google to find a direct download of windows 7 home premium sp2 ISO
3. Burn ISO and install windows (format your drive during installation)
4. Go to laptop manufacturer's website to get drivers

I would do step 4 first. So much easier to track them all down now.

ExtraSlow
08-25-2013, 08:08 PM
since this is your "fool around" machine, are you married to windows? One of the many versions of Linux would probably run noticeably faster, and not significantly more hassle.

I switched my main machine over to linuxMint about ten months ago and don't regret it. It came with all the stuff I needed.

UndrgroundRider
08-27-2013, 01:45 AM
You're legally entitled to download a copy of the installation media. Microsoft provides these ISO images though Digital River along with image hashes to verify authenticity.

Here are the instructions: http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/604187-legal-download-digitalriver-windows-7-sp1-13-languages.html

Also, don't listen to the instructions posted above about Magic Jellybean finder. That won't work since the key it will find is the generic SLP key. Just use the key on the sticker and it will work fine.

DeeK
08-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

I would do step 4 first. So much easier to track them all down now.

Yep, put them on a flash stick because chances are you won't have a network card driver afterwards.

EK69
08-27-2013, 10:05 AM
I did a clean install of windows 7 on my computer and by default a lot of drivers were installed including networking (wifi). From there open up Internet explorer and download the rest (video card etc)

The laptop should have the key on the bottom on a sticker