PDA

View Full Version : Calcana heater

pyro
08-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Does anyone know someone that installs calcana heaters for a residential garage?

pyro
08-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Found someone. Thx

JRSC00LUDE
08-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Was it Inrich?

cidley69
08-29-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm in the market for a grage heater also. Can anyone suggest good options for heaters, and installers?

what's better, gas or electric?

tbgallant
08-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Also interested in this...

pyro
08-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Was it Inrich?

No it wasn't, another member refered a guy he used. He came by yesterday and quoted me for a renzor heater. He told me the calcana is aimed more towards if I was going to be constantly working in the garage, which I won't be.
Gas is always better, much cheaper in the long run. Anyone else that's intrested I can let you guys know how this guy turns out to be and pass his info on, if you want.

Isaiah
08-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by pyro
Gas is always better . . .
Gas is always better. Posted by pyro. Cause and effect.

Sugarphreak
08-29-2013, 10:09 PM

benyl
08-29-2013, 11:55 PM
You didn't get in floor for your 4 car garage?

:dunno:

pyro
08-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
What was the quote price range if you don't mind me asking
Quoted for $1500 that's for the 30000 renzor and all materials+labor

tbgallant
08-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Does that include running a gas line from your house as well?

PM me the contact info for the guy you're using (or post it in the thread) if you don't mind.

Thanks,

Tim

project240
08-30-2013, 12:41 PM
We used a calcana heater which I hung and installed myself (gas line in place) and had a pipe fitter friend check it over.

Gas is definitely cheaper than electric. I prefer the radiant heat of the calcana vs the furnace style blowers.

Darell_n
08-30-2013, 12:50 PM
One thing to consider is a tube heater has poor efficiency and will use more fuel than forced air to heat the same area.

cidley69
09-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Where's the best place in town to buy a blower style garage heater ? Is there a certain btu recommended per ft 3 of garage space ?

My garage is going to be around 22'x28'x10'ceiling. What btu rating is needed?

CapnCrunch
09-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n
One thing to consider is a tube heater has poor efficiency and will use more fuel than forced air to heat the same area.

I think you have it backwards.

CapnCrunch
09-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by cidley69
Where's the best place in town to buy a blower style garage heater ? Is there a certain btu recommended per ft 3 of garage space ?

My garage is going to be around 22'x28'x10'ceiling. What btu rating is needed?

For a rough guess, take you ft3 x 0.133 x your required temperature rise in Fahrenheit. So if you want to heat your garage to 20 degrees on a day that it's -40C outside you need about 90,000 btus.

You'd probably be fine with a 60,000 if you can live without working in your garage when it's -40C. If you just want to keep it above 0C all year, you could get away with a 40,000 unit.

InRich
09-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

I think you have it backwards.

he does.... another beyonder talking about shit he knows nothing about.

That Calcana's gonna be the most efficient and effective heater your gonna buy for a garage. their the best.

CapnCrunch
09-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by InRich

That Calcana's gonna be the most efficient and effective heater your gonna buy for a garage. their the best.

I loved mine when I had it. My garage was warm and it cost me about $5 a month in gas lol.

I just wish they weren't like $3000 installed.

Sugarphreak
09-10-2013, 12:24 PM

CapnCrunch
09-10-2013, 01:05 PM

According to this calculation I'd need ~120,000 BTU's... lol

I don't think that is totally accurate if you are dealing with attached garages, generally if you have a well insulated garage the heat from the house will keep it above zero on a cold day, this has been my experience anyway.

Yeah, I should have clarified that lol. If your garage only goes down to 0 on the coldest day, obviously that changes your temperature rise.

The same 22x28x10 garage would only need ~ 32,000 btu.

I'd guess that most average double attached garages in Calgary only need 40,000 btu's.

cidley69
09-11-2013, 03:35 PM
I need to buy a garage heater, can someone recommend where to go for this?

I'd aim for a 50K btu.

Darell_n
09-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by InRich

There are zero high efficiency tube infrared heaters on the market. All brands of forced air heaters are available in 98% efficiency or higher. This is my career as a 15 yr Journeyman in heating and refrigeration, but I'm sure you know better.

cidley69
09-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Someone please try to sell me a heater and install, I'm a motivated buyer !

CapnCrunch
09-12-2013, 07:35 AM

There are zero high efficiency tube infrared heaters on the market. All brands of forced air heaters are available in 98% efficiency or higher. This is my career as a 15 yr Journeyman in heating and refrigeration, but I'm sure you know better.

You should read this. You're never too old to learn, although many are too stubborn.

http://www.ien.com/article/basics-gas-fired/133821

Sounds prefect for a garage, doesn't it?

Darell_n
09-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

You should read this. You're never too old to learn, although many are too stubborn.

http://www.ien.com/article/basics-gas-fired/133821

Sounds prefect for a garage, doesn't it?

While a tube heater may be better for a shop for a particular use, it doesn't change the fact that most tube heaters have a fuel efficiency of 30-60%. All sales info you will find states a fuel savings of 50% (compared to what?) and other amazing facts without actual numbers. It's all used car sales tactics and people eat it up. When you look at any forced air heater or boiler the fuel efficiency is always clearly stated and the models compared easily. You will be very hard pressed to find a fuel efficiency rating on a tube heater, only that it is a super-duper fuel efficient money saving miracle.

The only two options I would opt with is either a shop with a heated floor, powered by an actually efficient boiler, or a high-efficiency forced air unit heater.

Tik-Tok
09-12-2013, 08:54 AM

The only two options I would opt with is either a shop with a heated floor, powered by an actually efficient boiler, or a high-efficiency forced air unit heater.

Or option 'C' get a used 150,000 btu 80% eff. commercial furnace from kijiji for $50, lol. My garage goes from -20* to +20* in no time flat :rofl:

(yes I'm aware of how inefficient it is, but I didn't have thousands to spend)

CapnCrunch
09-12-2013, 08:54 AM

While a tube heater may be better for a shop for a particular use, it doesn't change the fact that most tube heaters have a fuel efficiency of 30-60%. All sales info you will find states a fuel savings of 50% (compared to what?) and other amazing facts without actual numbers. It's all used car sales tactics and people eat it up. When you look at any forced air heater or boiler the fuel efficiency is always clearly stated and the models compared easily. You will be very hard pressed to find a fuel efficiency rating on a tube heater, only that it is a super-duper fuel efficient money saving miracle.

I'm not disagreeing with the efficiencies. I'm saying they heat very differently.

Here 2 scenarios for you.

A forced air furnace using 10 cubic feet of gas to heat your garage and turns 98% of it into heat.

A tube heater uses 6 cubic feet of gas to heat your garage but only turns 50% of it into heat.

Which one is more efficient? Which one is cheaper to run?

You're comparing apples to oranges here. A tube heater is less efficient, but uses a lot less fuel to do the same job.

CapnCrunch
09-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Here's another link backed by the ASHRAE.

http://www.warmboard.com/warmboard-explained/radiant-heat-versus-forced-air

alloroc
09-12-2013, 08:48 PM
That is not by ASHRAE.

Warmboard is more efficient because it is radiant hydronic heating.

Radiant Hydronic heating is more efficient than Hydronic forced air. Hydronic forced air is generally more efficient than gas forced air but the latest models of high efficiency furnaces come close.

Both types of gas heat are actually very similar in operating cost - it depends on the conditions...

At lower demands - which is most of the time - a variable input gas infrared heater will make you feel more comfortable for less cost. At high demands the forced air heater (usually single stage) has an advantage.

Sugarphreak
09-12-2013, 08:51 PM

alloroc
09-12-2013, 08:57 PM
That is not by ASHRAE.

Radiant Hydronic heating is more efficient than Hydronic forced air. Hydronic forced air is generally more efficient than gas forced air but the latest models of high efficiency furnaces come close.

Both types of gas heat are actually very similar in operating cost - it depends on the conditions...

At lower demands - which is most of the time - a variable input gas infrared heater will make you feel more comfortable for less cost. At high demands the forced air heater (usually single stage) has an advantage.

CapnCrunch
09-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by alloroc
That is not by ASHRAE.

Let's not waste any more of each others time. Post me a link to anything other than your opinion that backs up a forced air furnace using less fuel than a radiant tube heater in a garage. Anything at all. If I'm wrong, I'd love to read about it.

cidley69
09-13-2013, 09:59 AM
The heating guy that pyro suggested quoted my $1500 all in with instal for a Reznor forced air unit.

Anyone heard of a better deal, or is this worth taking right away?

raceman6135
09-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by cidley69
The heating guy that pyro suggested quoted my $1500 all in with instal for a Reznor forced air unit.

Anyone heard of a better deal, or is this worth taking right away?

If that includes trenching a gas line to your garage, I'd jump all over that deal!

When I was shopping around, the best quote I got was $1850 to supply and install a 45,000 BTU Reznor unit. It was going to cost about $1000 on top of that to run a gas line along the side of my house for 18 feet, then Tee to install a BBQ quick connect, then trench the next 20 feet to my detached garage.

Even if your quote doesn't include running gas line (and therefore a permit), it still is better than the best I found.

cidley69
09-13-2013, 02:17 PM
It's an attached garage, so gas can be run from adjacent mechanical room.

Good to hear its a deal. I'll book it.

Thanks!

cidley69
09-13-2013, 03:42 PM
This is interesting. The Sunray heaters advertised on Kijiji for much less than Calcana heaters are actually rebranded Calcanas.

The Calcana rep told me there is no difference between them

:dunno:

Tik-Tok
09-14-2013, 08:04 PM

950$ worth of gas probably goes a long way :rofl:

Pics of setup, this sounds like a good idea!

Lol, it's not thaaaaat bad actually. I'd guess in dead of winter, keeping the garage at +5*C is about $40. When we replace the house furnace, the old house one will replace the commercial shop one. Keep in mind my garage is a detached and 800sq.ft

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/0b4392af-da95-433f-bf95-a2739879b051.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/2013-09-13193532.jpg

Sugarphreak
09-14-2013, 09:40 PM

Maxt
09-15-2013, 09:56 AM
When it comes to choosing a heater for a shop, its more about application than efficiency..
Radiant is better for certain activities, forced air is more comfortable and recovers quicker.

schurchill39
04-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Bump. Time to look at getting lines trenched in. Anyone have any rough prices that they've got for quotes as of late to get something trenched out to a detached garage?